Calling Cards of Morons

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Should show jumping be banned then?

What? The “sport” that has horrific consequences for horses’ pelvis’s and other joints? Yeah, probably. A broken limb (or anything really) for them is game over. 

https://www.peta.org/media/news-releases/video-of-olympic-show-jumpers-horse-being-struck-has-peta-pushing-for-equestrian-free-olympics/

Edited by SweeperDee

Getting this thread back on course, if you pardon the pun - 

People (my neighbour) who work full time in offices and order a shit tonne of stuff off Amazon etc and get it delivered to their house and they're never in, meaning the delivery driver comes to the nearest door (mine) asking if I'll take it in for them.

No I fucking won't m8, I'm not that scruffy cunts local fucking depot.  If he wants to personally keep Jeff Bezos a billionaire he can get his parcels sent to his work like a normal person.

I may have mentioned this before on the PTTGOYN thread.

On 18/04/2023 at 14:06, 19QOS19 said:

The irony of 'horses have a right to life like us' being they wouldn't have a life if horse racing was banned. They're bred to race. They wouldn't suddenly be left to roam the fields. 

A life of luxury with a tiny risk of death while racing or no life at all. I'd still say the first option is the better of the two. 

I disagree tbh. Plenty of thoroughbreds (including retired racehorses) are ridden in daily life and make decent riding horses for schools, people who do small time competing, TREC, distance riding, hacking etc.

It’s probably the one animal where the “If they weren’t racing they wouldn’t be alive” is in fact a complete fallacy. 

38 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

But they have people on their back with whips. The argument that humans choose to take part in dangerous sports and therefore horses dying isn't actually an issue about the weakest argument there is.

Personally I find any sport involving animals a bit distasteful, and having been to horse racing a couple of times I don't think I'd go back, but I don't have enough knowledge of how they're actually treated to have a definitive opinion either way. I do think it's entirely reasonable to actually listen to and engage with people who are suggesting it should be made safer, given the rate of death associated with the sport for unwilling participants.

They don't want it made safer, they want it banned. That's why folk won't listen to them. 

1 minute ago, Jambomo said:

I disagree tbh. Plenty of thoroughbreds (including retired racehorses) are ridden in daily life and make decent riding horses for schools, people who do small time competing, TREC, distance riding, hacking etc.

It’s probably the one animal where the “If they weren’t racing they wouldn’t be alive” is in fact a complete fallacy. 

Again, these same people would be arguing against the things you've highlighted above. They clearly don't want animals used at all. 

I don't think it's a fallacy. There aren't enough uses for racing horses that they'd continue to breed them if racing was banned. 

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

They don't want it made safer, they want it banned. That's why folk won't listen to them. 

Again, these same people would be arguing against the things you've highlighted above. They clearly don't want animals used at all. 

I don't think it's a fallacy. There aren't enough uses for racing horses that they'd continue to breed them if racing was banned. 

There is a difference between racing which does have its dangers and normal everyday activity which generally doesn't. Whilst some people might be against using them at all, I would say we don’t know that is what most of those protestors believe.

As I said, there are plenty of uses for racing horses if they aren’t racing. What do you think happens to them now? They retire at a decent age and there are charities and people who retrain them for normal riding. My friend had an ex racing horse, Bob, whom she rode and did some small competitions on, I used to ride an ex racer at a stable I used to go to. They are normal horses at the end of the day. 

20 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I think that's right but there's a 'but'.  Yes, absolutely, you see a fair sprinkling of thoroughbreds  - either ex-racers or failed racers - around equestrian yards.  Some - particularly the older ones - may be general 'school' horses used for pottering around/hacking while others can be trained to do cross country and eventing.  And because they were bred for speed, endurance and jumping they excel in cross country.  My eldest competed at a decent level before she went to uni and the thoroughbreds were highly prized, though not so much for dressage.

The 'but' is that if racing was banned then you would see - probably - the end of the thoroughbred line which would be a bit of a shame.

24 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

There is a difference between racing which does have its dangers and normal everyday activity which generally doesn't. Whilst some people might be against using them at all, I would say we don’t know that is what most of those protestors believe.

As I said, there are plenty of uses for racing horses if they aren’t racing. What do you think happens to them now? They retire at a decent age and there are charities and people who retrain them for normal riding. My friend had an ex racing horse, Bob, whom she rode and did some small competitions on, I used to ride an ex racer at a stable I used to go to. They are normal horses at the end of the day. 

(To repeat myself) That's the trouble though isn't it? The protesters don't appear to know what it is they want so how can people get on board/just see them as attention seeking fannies? 

Yeah they'll be used the now after retirement but if there isn't money to be made from them in racing, folk aren't going to bother breeding them. You can't truly believe banning horse racing would have no impact on how many of those horses would then be bred? 

12 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

(To repeat myself) That's the trouble though isn't it? The protesters don't appear to know what it is they want so how can people get on board/just see them as attention seeking fannies? 

Yeah they'll be used the now after retirement but if there isn't money to be made from them in racing, folk aren't going to bother breeding them. You can't truly believe banning horse racing would have no impact on how many of those horses would then be bred? 

It’s not really about what the protestor do or don’t want though. It’s about the fact we use these animals and to what extent we have the right to use them in a way that endangers their lives. We have to think beyond the protestors.

I agree that breeding will maybe see the end of some thoroughbred bloodlines and less will definitely be bred, but not that thoroughbred's would die out completely. That was the initial argument, that if there was no racing there would be no thoroughbred horses alive. That is what I am arguing against. 

In the same way that Arabs, Clydesdales, Shetlands etc etc are all bred for their usefulness as horses, there is no reason to think Thoroughbreds would disappear completely because we don’t race them. They are absolutely useful as horses in their own right and the breed itself is considered as valuable. 

22 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

It’s not really about what the protestor do or don’t want though. It’s about the fact we use these animals and to what extent we have the right to use them in a way that endangers their lives. We have to think beyond the protestors.

Tbh the whole discussion came about because of the actions of these protestors. So they should really sort out what it is they're protesting before being given airtime and making themselves look silly. 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

One of the main reasons they want it banned because it's unsafe for the animals taking part. I would argue that probably the vast majority of people would accept that it is not a particularly safe sport for the animals taking part, and the main point of difference between people is about how much they actually care about that.

While a number of people will be in the "it's just animals, who cares" camp alongside those who see no issue with fox hunting, shooting birds etc, I would guess that a pretty substantial chunk of the population do actually care about animal welfare and these recent protests will have made them think about the moral questions around the sport.

If the response of the horse racing authorities and people involved in the sport is to simply ignore it and pretend everything is completely fine despite the many deaths and injuries to animals over the last few years, they may very quickly find that the general public will turn against them in larger and larger numbers, because the perception will simply be that they don't care about the welfare of the animals at all.

18 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

One of the main reasons they want it banned because it's unsafe for the animals taking part. I would argue that probably the vast majority of people would accept that it is not a particularly safe sport for the animals taking part, and the main point of difference between people is about how much they actually care about that.

While a number of people will be in the "it's just animals, who cares" camp alongside those who see no issue with fox hunting, shooting birds etc, I would guess that a pretty substantial chunk of the population do actually care about animal welfare and these recent protests will have made them think about the moral questions around the sport.

If the response of the horse racing authorities and people involved in the sport is to simply ignore it and pretend everything is completely fine despite the many deaths and injuries to animals over the last few years, they may very quickly find that the general public will turn against them in larger and larger numbers, because the perception will simply be that they don't care about the welfare of the animals at all.

I would say it's a sport with risk rather than a dangerous sport tbh. I don't agree at all. I'm not particularly in to horse racing tbh but wouldn't be against them lowering fences/thinning the pack. I don't agree with an outright ban though just because some people are upset the odd horse dies. Comparing it to Fox Hunting and 'hunting' is harsh to say the least.

If they care about the animals they should be protesting to make the sport safer as it's a far more realistic objective than a complete ban. 

8 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Real I-enjoy-something-so-look-for-reasons-to-justify-it-rather-than-look-at-myself vibes from this thread lately...

Better to make nonsense claims that discuss the issues I suppose. 

2 hours ago, Jambomo said:

It does though.  I have seen plenty of horses turned into field ornaments as a result of an injury resulting from leisure use or even just from having a saddle that has not been properly fitted.

My daughter has had ponies/horses for most of her life and the vet bills would 100% show that everyday activity has dangers for horses.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Tbh the whole discussion came about because of the actions of these protestors. So they should really sort out what it is they're protesting before being given airtime and making themselves look silly. 

You are completely missing the point. Confusing the issue with your umbrage with the protestors.