Calling Cards of Morons

6 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Drive a 4X4 despite not living on a farm or having a massive family.

Worse is 4x4 drivers who go over speedbumps as if the car is made of glass. 

5 hours ago, MazzyStar said:

Trying to blame the protesters for your sport being a pointless waste of the lives of animals after they were proven right. 

Their actions clearly affected the horses tbh. 

5 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Their actions clearly affected the horses tbh. 

Proof? 

Anyway just googled it and apparently the group is affiliated with extinction rebellion so I’ve changed my mind and decided that it’s all their fault. 

8 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

Proof? 

Anyway just googled it and apparently the group is affiliated with extinction rebellion so I’ve changed my mind and decided that it’s all their fault. 

Well you don't need to be an expert to know that keeping the horses out in the heat longer than they had to be will have had some sort of effect on them. It was also reported (Independent I think I read it earlier) that they got off to a faster start than usual. I won't pretend to be an expert on horses but I'd imagine them travelling at a faster pace early on never helped matters either. 

I think a peaceful protest would have been just as effective as what they've achieved with their actions yesterday tbh. 

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I think a peaceful protest would have been just as effective as what they've achieved with their actions yesterday tbh. 

How was it not a peaceful protest? Were they failed suicide bombers? 

6 hours ago, MazzyStar said:

Trying to blame the protesters for your sport being a pointless waste of the lives of animals after they were proven right. 

If it weren't for the sport then those animals wouldn't have a life in the first place. They're not going to be released and thrive in the wild. 

Just now, virginton said:

It depends on the definition I suppose. But folk having to get hauled away from the track/folk punching them off fences/Police having to get physical with them isn't my idea of a peaceful protest. Standing with signs at the entrance of the race course would be my idea of peaceful. 

1 minute ago, virginton said:

If it weren't for the sport then those animals wouldn't have a life in the first place. They're not going to be released and thrive in the wild. 

Retired thoroughbreds are still an issue for rehoming.

53 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

It depends on the definition I suppose. But folk having to get hauled away from the track/folk punching them off fences/Police having to get physical with them isn't my idea of a peaceful protest. Standing with signs at the entrance of the race course would be my idea of peaceful. 

A peaceful protest is not rendered violent by the response of the authorities. The police 'had' to do no such thing. 

It's no wonder that the Civil Rights movement in the USA and just about every other non-violent protest movement where unpopular in their own time, as these responses are ten a penny (and always, always wrong). 

1 minute ago, virginton said:

A peaceful protest is not rendered violent by the response of the authorities. The police 'had' to do no such thing. 

It's no wonder that the Civil Rights movement in the USA and just about every other non-violent protest movement where unpopular in their own time, as these responses are ten a penny (and always, always wrong). 

I never said it was violent. I'm not sure why you've got 'had' like that. Are you saying the Police didn't get physical with them or that they could have left them? 

I'm not sure the Police would have had any reason to arrest people if they were standing at the entrance chanting/holding boards. 

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I never said it was violent. 

You said that a 'peaceful' protest would have been more effective. Which is contrasting it with a non-peaceful or 'violent' protest. It's either one or the other. 

I'm not sure why you've got 'had' like that. Are you saying the Police didn't get physical with them or that they could have left them? 

The police did not have to arrest them on the grounds that they posed a direct threat of violence/harm to the public, or even the police. That would be a non-peaceful protest

The police got physical with them using the battery of other laws that exist to remove any level of nuisance level disorder, disruption or trespassing - which are used all the time against peaceful protests in this country. 

I'm not sure the Police would have had any reason to arrest people if they were standing at the entrance chanting/holding boards. 

The protestors are not obliged to fulfil your pointless Father Ted tactics to still count as peaceful and legitimate* though. 

* Despite their actual point of protest being a bit dim

Edited by vikingTON

11 hours ago, virginton said:

You said that a 'peaceful' protest would have been more effective. Which is contrasting it with a non-peaceful or 'violent' protest. It's either one or the other. 

The police did not have to arrest them on the grounds that they posed a direct threat of violence/harm to the public, or even the police. That would be a non-peaceful protest

The police got physical with them using the battery of other laws that exist to remove any level of nuisance level disorder, disruption or trespassing - which are used all the time against peaceful protests in this country. 

The protestors are not obliged to fulfil your pointless Father Ted tactics to still count as peaceful and legitimate* though. 

* Despite their actual point of protest being a bit dim

The point is the same but the wording is perhaps wrong. Had they stood out front like Father Ted it would have had exactly the same effect as the actions they chose to take (ie. Pointless). I'd argue that their actions ironically caused the horses more distress than anything else so it was a pretty stupid protest on their part. 

24 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

The point is the same but the wording is perhaps wrong. Had they stood out front like Father Ted it would have had exactly the same effect as the actions they chose to take (ie. Pointless). I'd argue that their actions ironically caused the horses more distress than anything else so it was a pretty stupid protest on their part. 

They’d have been ignored standing out the front. They wanted publicity, and got it. 

Whether or not you agree with their cause or their tactics, it was a minor success for them.