Calling Cards of Morons

15 hours ago, ICTFCwife said:

Plant based alternatives do have similarities agreed however they don’t taste anything like meat because they’re not. What really gets me is when you go for a meal with a vegan/vegetarian that once upon a time ate meat themselves suddenly can’t cope if say you’re eating next to them and you have chicken through your pasta and make a big song and dance about it. I’d understand fair enough if you were sitting there with a bloody steak or eating a big plate of wings or ribs how that might scunner them. However I feel a lot of them take it to the extreme.

I've never experienced such things with those who don't eat meat. Strange how you seem to run in to the extremists.

11 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I agree that's the best option for people who are not vegetarian or vegan and just want to cut down on their meat consumption, it's likely healthier for you than just occasionally replacing a cow steak with a plant-based steak alternative. However, if you are vegetarian or vegan then these things become a bit more appealing, because you might eat actual plant meals (not brussels sprouts, right enough) most of the week, but will still occasionally want to have something different like a burger or a steak or whatever.

I refuse to believe anyone would actually notice the difference if you replaced your mince for quorn mince in sauce-heavy stuff like lasagne, bolognese or chilli, or quorn pieces for chicken in a curry. The meat is just there for texture in those types of meals in my opinion.

I made a lasagne on Tuesday that uses quorn mince. Genuinely couldn't tell the difference from regular mince. Also used vegan butter and oat milk for the sauce (there's certain things my old man can no longer eat).

It was absolutely tremendous.

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I've never experienced such things with those who don't eat meat. Strange how you seem to run in to the extremists.

I made a lasagne on Tuesday that uses quorn mince. Genuinely couldn't tell the difference from regular mince. Also used vegan butter and oat milk for the sauce (there's certain things my old man can no longer eat).

You got any lasagne left?

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

How much is quorn mince?

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Do you just make a roux the same way but using the substitutes? 

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

You got any lasagne left?

No, gave my old man the rest to take away to stick in his freezer.

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

How much is quorn mince?

It's £2.99 for 500g in Lidl.

38 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

Do you just make a roux the same way but using the substitutes? 

Yup.

4 minutes ago, supermik said:

People who take their shoes off when they’re sat beside strangers on a plane.

I had this on a flight recently except he was barefoot. Utterly moronic and disgusting behaviour. He looked confused when I asked him if he went barefoot in a restaurant/cinema or on the bus?

4 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

And is there a secret to lasagne? Like a wee extra addition that maybe takes it to the next level?

4 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I've made chillis and spaggy bol bol with Quorn mince and other than the texture being slightly different, i'd agree that in dishes that are very heavy on sauce you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference 

18 minutes ago, GTG_03 said:

I had this on a flight recently except he was barefoot. Utterly moronic and disgusting behaviour. He looked confused when I asked him if he went barefoot in a restaurant/cinema or on the bus?

A certain David Robertson was barefoot in Pizzaland in the late 80s/early 90s. I should have known then that he was a no righter. 

15 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

And is there a secret to lasagne? Like a wee extra addition that maybe takes it to the next level?

Of course....

14 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I've made chillis and spaggy bol bol with Quorn mince and other than the texture being slightly different, i'd agree that in dishes that are very heavy on sauce you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference 

I refuse to engage with a person who uses such vile terms.

17 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I agree that's the best option for people who are not vegetarian or vegan and just want to cut down on their meat consumption, it's likely healthier for you than just occasionally replacing a cow steak with a plant-based steak alternative. However, if you are vegetarian or vegan then these things become a bit more appealing, because you might eat actual plant meals (not brussels sprouts, right enough) most of the week, but will still occasionally want to have something different like a burger or a steak or whatever.

I refuse to believe anyone would actually notice the difference if you replaced your mince for quorn mince in sauce-heavy stuff like lasagne, bolognese or chilli, or quorn pieces for chicken in a curry. The meat is just there for texture in those types of meals in my opinion.

While I agree that chicken in a curry is just there for texture, I haven't found quorn pieces to have the same effect. I'll have it in some things no bother, but it just doesn't do it for me in a curry. 

I reckon curries are the only thing I'd miss if I went vegetarian as I still haven't found a veggie one that scratches the itch. 

51 minutes ago, supermik said:

People who take their shoes off when they’re sat beside strangers on a plane.

I had to covertly take one of my shoes off in the cinema the other day and felt like a complete fanny. I think I'd tied it too tightly so had to remove the shoe before the foot required amputation, but I was ashamed to become one of those people.