Queens v Morton

11 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'd like to see one? In theory leaving the confines of the pitch to celebrate a goal is a booking. In practice they only do it if the players reach the fans and it's always the goalscorer booked no matter how many of them do it.

Lyon ended up in amongst the fans and leaning over the perimeter wall. It's harmless, good luck to him, but he's ALWAYS going to get booked for that. Moaning that the ref was being officious is daft.

Dykes doesn't miss it. I was almost in line, he got a fair bit on it but didn't get enough distance and, ironically, sent it straight to Lyon. I suspect if he'd missed it altogether Fordyce behind him would likely have dealt with it. As you say though it's not the only error. Doyle is needlessly goes for the initial header, gets nowhere near it and takes himself out of the equation and Mercer is far too deep to deal with Lyons when the ball breaks to him.

In the cold light of day still very disappointed to have lost last night. It was the kind of game where if it finishes 1-1 you go home pleased with the way we played but disappointed we didn't find a way to force a winner our overall play deserved. However, the final ball was lacking too often. I can't recall Gaston making a save of note really (neither did Martin). We got more crosses into the box last night than we usually do but they were either too near the keeper or dealt with by Morton's defenders. They defended fairly well, particularly in dealing with Dobbie who didn't get many openings, the goal being an opportunist strike of a loose ball. Other than the goals, Todd swept one over the bar second half when he should probably have got it on target. At the other end Todd himself came up with a terrific run and last man challenge when Oliver appeared to be through after Doyle slipped. The keepers certainly weren't over-worked but it was an entertaining match.

In the context of effectively clearing the ball its a "swing and a miss"

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

There's also a high likelihood that Dundee will take Waddell back in January now McCann's away. That would leave us with no cover at all other than Strapp returning from a loan, so another centre back is essential.

I don't think it's really that high tbh - he might have impressed in a couple of games but does that make him ready for a relegation dogfight at a higher level? Unless they're paying close attention then they'll take one look at the number of goals we're shipping and conclude that he isn't. 

21 minutes ago, virginton said:

I don't think it's really that high tbh - he might have impressed in a couple of games but does that make him ready for a relegation dogfight at a higher level? Unless they're paying close attention then they'll take one look at the number of goals we're shipping and conclude that he isn't. 

If it was the standard young player being loaned to a lower division deal I'd agree, but Waddell played more than 20 games for them last season and they were in a relegation battle then. He's not here because anyone at Dundee felt he wasn't ready to play at that level, he's here because, like many other Dundee players, Neil McCann fell out with him and wanted to freeze him out.

I'd agree that being part of our defence isn't going to make anyone appealing to a top flight club, but there are plenty of people at Dundee who already know that Waddell is a better player than absolute clowns like Kusunga and O'Dea.

8 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I thought the 'keeper was probably at fault there as well, but it doesn't seem to be a widely held view.

I can see both arguments.  It wasn't hit at unstoppable pace, or right out of his reach in the same way Martin had no chance with the Morton winner.  It was hit very early and unexpectedly that I don't think he had time to react though.  I doubt any other player in the league would have the gall to take that shot on so I doubt he was properly set to dive for it.

2 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

I can see both arguments.  It wasn't hit at unstoppable pace, or right out of his reach in the same way Martin had no chance with the Morton winner.  It was hit very early and unexpectedly that I don't think he had time to react though.  I doubt any other player in the league would have the gall to take that shot on so I doubt he was properly set to dive for it.

Yes, we've seen lots of goalkeepers caught out by Dobbie striking it early and finding the corner.  

As you say though, it didn't look absolutely unstoppable, but I suppose the highlights might shed more light.

Highlights will show us but Dobbie's goal came from brilliant anticipation, almost as if he played a one-two off the defender's head, or more likely knew fine well that Dykes wasn't winning the header from his chipped pass and made sure he reacted first by getting himself in position before it dropped.

I was quite impressed by Norman. After seeing him look slow, clumsy and generally just not ready in the reserves, I was glad to see him look much sharper and more composed yesterday. 

Plenty of good possession but not enough created from central midfield. 12 corners leading to not even a shot or header on target is disappointing too.

For folk wandering what Gaston had to do other than the goal, I think there was only a Dobbie-Dykes one-two in the first half and a cross/shot from the right by Dobbie late on counting as shots on target. The best chance was definitely the one Todd put over though, looked like he had time to take a touch and should definitely have hit the target at least.

20 hours ago, football maniac said:

Well played Morton.  After getting absolutely smashed on saturday you would think their confidence would be abit fragile but they came here and defended brilliantly. Buchanan won countless headers and the wingbacks were effective in stopping our players from putting in crosses from dangerous areas. We didnt play badly its just we missed that creative touch. Todd and Stirling each had one excellent half each but couldnt sustain it for the full game. I thought Marsh was very good and Mercer had a fine game. The criticism he gets is ott imo. He uses the ball well and has decent quality in his crossing. Hes also far more assertive in his defending than when he first came. Norman was my star man tonight. Hes a battler but not only that he also has a bit of composure and uses the ball pretty well.  We really suffered having a small squad tonight as this was a classic case of a game where impact subs could have made a massive difference. I looked at our bench and saw literally nothing. We all no Irving, Gourlay, Ivison the manager has no intention of using and Bell would only be used if we were winning comfortably, while Murray was just about our only one who could make an impact. Semple is obviously fine defensive cover.

Thought he might have pushed on Semple up front with Dykes.  Semple has the height and ability to get to some of our set pieces. Always surprised we don't get more headed goals particularly as Dykes seems to win a fair share of high balls out of defence.

Typical Queen's v Morton match.

While Queen's had a lot of the ball I never thought Ton would lose as they had little penetration.

Well done the defence who were solid and Gats who cleaned up all balls into the 6 yard box. Sorry but he did poorly with the Dobbie goal, while hit early it was a good 25 yards out and he seemed to have it covered only for it to the skid off the Astroturf to do him.  I thought we paced the game well took all Queen's had to offer and pushed hard at the end of both halves.

What a strike from young Reece in what I think was his first Championship start.

Well after Saturdays doing we must be glad we were away to Queen's more wins than losses in recent times. Also better to lose one and win one rather than two draws  as seams Cal. Thistle's problem this year.

It was a game that I fear we were destined to lose as soon as we won 2 games back to back. Since GN has arrived we have had the glass ceiling syndrome - as soon as a pivotal match arrives that will either catapult us into a really strong position or keep us at “arms length” the latter is invariably the outcome. At least we have the consolation of playing pretty well but teams that really have a burning desire to challenge find a way to win these games. Whatever your opinion the fact remains that Tuesday was a huge lost opportunity. We now have it all to do at United and Ayr.

41 minutes ago, SueSue said:

The issue with Naismith is his lack of freshening the team up week by week.

he sticks to the same 11 week after week. Until they are knackered.

i wonder who will drop out when Harkins returns.

Who do you suggest he freshens the team up with?? 

The issue with Naismith is his lack of freshening the team up week by week.
he sticks to the same 11 week after week. Until they are knackered.
i wonder who will drop out when Harkins returns.

Has he got any options? I'm all for youth players coming through but I'd be pissed if 2 of our current youth players started in place of our older ones.

He's not been given the best hand GN and I think he's doing OK given the circumstances. I will say, I think he should have mixed it up at East Fife. That's the only game that I'd have been happy seeing two or three regulars dropped.

And FWIW, at this moment in time I'd drop Jacobs for Harkins.

I am thinking of Frizzell hardly playing since he arrived. 

Now Semple to come back in and rest Mercer by moving Doyle to the position he was bought for.

who drops out for Harkins?

certainly at the back we can change freshen things up almost every week.

Doyle played centre mid at the start of the season and did well !!

there are ways of freshening the team up without too many changes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2018 at 10:09, Dunning1874 said:

There's also a high likelihood that Dundee will take Waddell back in January now McCann's away. That would leave us with no cover at all other than Strapp returning from a loan, so another centre back is essential.

On 10/31/2018 at 18:11, Dunning1874 said:

If it was the standard young player being loaned to a lower division deal I'd agree, but Waddell played more than 20 games for them last season and they were in a relegation battle then. He's not here because anyone at Dundee felt he wasn't ready to play at that level, he's here because, like many other Dundee players, Neil McCann fell out with him and wanted to freeze him out.

I'd agree that being part of our defence isn't going to make anyone appealing to a top flight club, but there are plenty of people at Dundee who already know that Waddell is a better player than absolute clowns like Kusunga and O'Dea.

^^^ knicker-wetting fantasist

On 10/31/2018 at 17:42, virginton said:

^^^ award-winning, fact-based analysis

greggy-1_zpsa6468549.png

Archived