The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

7 hours ago, The Golden God said:

He’s got 8 wins, LeClerc, Norris, Piastri and maybe Russell will have passed that by next summer. Good driver yes but he’s not even on the Coulthard or Massa level. As has been said above, he’ll be remembered for his personality more than his ability. 

He's got fewer career wins than David Coulthard, Gerhard Berger or Felipe Massa. There's more to it than numbers, but he's hardly a legend of the sport. 

On 25/09/2024 at 23:18, Mackie The Staggie said:

gZYL03.gif

(I know it's not THE Red Bull here.....but I love the sheer randomness of the wheels just noping the f**k out)

As if this wasn't a perfect enough moment, Buemi trying to steer with no front wheels elevates it to sheer art.

On 28/09/2024 at 09:22, Sarto Mutiny said:

He's got fewer career wins than David Coulthard, Gerhard Berger or Felipe Massa. There's more to it than numbers, but he's hardly a legend of the sport. 

And Mark Webber, Valtteri Bottas and Rubens Barrichello

Renault confirm they're stopping making engines from 2026. 

Historically they've been a good engine manufacturer. When I started watching in the mid-90s, theirs was the engine to have. Won loads of titles and races. But been utter mince in recent years and reports are that they're seeing McLaren (a customer team) seemingly about to win a title and decided that was the way to go. 

Alpine no longer a works team, just relying on their amazing car designing/building skills and driver talent. 

36 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Historically they've been a good engine manufacturer. When I started watching in the mid-90s, theirs was the engine to have. Won loads of titles and races. But been utter mince in recent years and reports are that they're seeing McLaren (a customer team) seemingly about to win a title and decided that was the way to go. 

Alpine no longer a works team, just relying on their amazing car designing/building skills and driver talent. 

Andretti need to buy them out 

41 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

McLaren switched back to Mercedes engines a few years ago.

And some numbers on Ricciardo:

10th all time in race starts

59th all time in pole positions

37th all time in wins

32nd all time in podiums

The only drivers with more races than him who never won a championship are Barichello, Bottas, Perez and Massa who all got much closer to a championship than him, won several constructors and who all have more poles/wins/podiums.

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

Scenes when Honda inevitably decide they've had enough again, and everyone except Ferrari and Haas ends up with a Merc engine. Oh, except Red Bull, with their Aston/RB/god knows what in-house effort, because that's never gone wrong ever, nope *cough Williams '98* *cough McLaren dumping Merc*

Audi must be close to thinking "f**k this", because it's inevitable F1 will go crawling to them begging to share their engine.

Edited by Boo Khaki

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

Scenes when Honda inevitably decide they've had enough again, and everyone except Ferrari and Haas ends up with a Merc engine. Oh, except Red Bull, with their Aston/RB/god knows what in-house effort, because that's never gone wrong ever, nope *cough Williams '98* *cough McLaren dumping Merc*

Audi must be close to thinking "f**k this", because it's inevitable F1 will go crawling to them begging to share their engine.

I think they already have said this. Their engines are currently disguised as "Red Bull Power Trains" and Ford are taking over that in 2026. 

Ford

Oh well that's everything sorted then. No recent history of making a half-assed, uncompetitive effort and then f**king off early with Ford. Nope.

Well, in fairness to Ford, the last fiasco was under the guise of Cosworth, but just like Renault with Mecachrome and Illmor with Merc, it's essentially the exact same people when they do a "factory" effort anyway.

Edited by Boo Khaki

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

I think they already have said this. Their engines are currently disguised as "Red Bull Power Trains" and Ford are taking over that in 2026. 

Honda are going to Aston Martin in 2026. I think they were meant to pull out around 2021/22 but that coincided with them starting to win so they thought they'd hang around. By the time they'd decided that, Red Bull had joined up with Ford. Horner has said they'd have been happy to stay with Honda if they'd known they weren't quitting.

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

Ford

Oh well that's everything sorted then. No recent history of making a half-assed, uncompetitive effort and then f**king off early with Ford. Nope.

Well, in fairness to Ford, the last fiasco was under the guise of Cosworth, but just like Renault with Mecachrome and Illmor with Merc, it's essentially the exact same people when they do a "factory" effort anyway.

2004 can no longer be classed as recent - something I struggle to accept 🤣  Ford sold Cosworth after the Jaguar disaster and can't really be held responsible for what happened after that, especially with the diddy teams of the early 2010s. Even if they can, it's still a decade ago. Presumably the guy who asked who "this guy Ed Irvine" was and why he was Ford's highest paid employee is no longer there.

Not sure how involved Ford are with the initial Red Bull engine anyway as a lot was being done in-house while they were trying to get Porsche involved.

Edited by Stu