The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

They can feel as aggrieved as they want but this was voted on by his fellow pros so it's not like some random committee or a fans vote where the team with the biggest support vote for their player. The other pros in League 1 thought Gal was the PotY and that comes down to him being, in their eyes, the best player (and not an absolute dick like Paton)

Well, if it was up to the team with the biggest support to choose, we know who that would be. I think they also get more corners in the big games…..

Edited by Sub Parr

3 hours ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

They can feel as aggrieved as they want but this was voted on by his fellow pros so it's not like some random committee or a fans vote where the team with the biggest support vote for their player. The other pros in League 1 thought Gal was the PotY and that comes down to him being, in their eyes, the best player (and not an absolute dick like Paton)

On your last sentence, being likeable, and more known can also help? In that instance Gallagher will be far more known to allot of the league one sides than many of the Dunfermline ones. 

It should have been Bene, but I'm sure he'll be content with the league winner medal, Gallagher has had a fine season and scored the goal of the season. 

Bene said he voted for Gallagher so if Bene says Gallagher is allowed to win then we’ll all just have to accept that, you don’t answer god back. 

In all seriousness, he’s had a really good season. I’m biased and have seen Bene and Todd week in week out this season, personally I’d have picked Bene, he’s been colossal and Todd is arguably my favourite player (if you’re still allowed them at 31) but Gallagher a worthy winner.

11 minutes ago, Coypars said:

Well done to Gallager probably with two Pars players that would split the vote.What job does Gallagher do outside of football ?

I genuinely don't know, but I'm sure outside of football he's got the same job as he does in football...being a total fu#king boss!!!

I'll get my coat...

18 minutes ago, Coypars said:

Well done to Gallager probably with two Pars players that would split the vote.What job does Gallagher do outside of football ?

I'm sure I heard he's a surveyor but don't quote me on that. Whatever he does, I'm sure he won't be interested in full-time football outwith Airdrie so don't be getting any ideas...

I have to say this before a ball is kicked Wednesday night…. I’m very proud of the team and what they’ve achieved this season.   Everyone knew that we didn’t have the largest budget in this league and so finishing where we did was just about right in ‘financial’ terms.   But the board have obviously made the right appointment in Rhys and I’ve become more and more impressed with him as the season has gone on.  He was a standout leader in the squad last season and this year he has taken the step up to manager in his stride.  He’s had a great influence in the squad and those who were here last year have improved  while new signings and much better than they were last August.   And so the playoffs have been a complete b*****d to us over the years but this time it feels different.  I don’t think we’re a team who will collapse under pressure or a quick goal from Hamilton.  This, I believe, is the best chance we’ve had in many a year and in many ways the pressure is off a little bit.  Last season only a fool didn’t understand that if we lost promotion then Easton and Murray would be gone and so it proved.   I know Rhys will be here next year regardless and whatever league we’re in I think the team will be stronger.  I don’t know which of our squad have Championship ambitions but feel most will have a loyalty, or at least a decent bond to Rhys and hopefully we can keep this train running - and in the Championship.  The neutrals are right… WE are the better team. We MUST have confidence in ourselves without being arrogant, which I don’t sense in this squad. Another solid Wednesday night performance will see us putting one foot through the door.  But if it doesn’t happen, I’ll be the first one ready to back the team next year for some silverware.   And maybe even a cup double #100yearson 

I was as nervous as anybody before game on Saturday, but now that it is out of the way I have a very strange feeling of calm and a belief that this is our year. We carry all the momentum that good form and lots of goals bring into this week. From what I am told, Hamilton are pretty big and physical, but if we can keep the ball down and and play our quick passing game, I feel we will emerge as winners. Saturday's game felt like a basketball game at times with the ball in the air an awful lot.

I do hope ATS is back as I would like to see Rhys in midfield and not at the back. I think that is key for us.

We have a better goalkeeper than last year in play offs (assuming Josh is back). I felt Max Currie could have done better in play off final last year. Nobody can predict keeper errors but i think the defence exudes confidence with Josh back in the team and it makes a difference (most of the time).

Win or lose this week, I will be on my feet applauding them off the park. Probably the best football at Airdrie since the Spaniards were in town.

If we do get promoted, I wonder what we look like next season. We probably need a bit more of a physical presence but the pace we have in the team would worry some championship teams in my view and I can see a good core of our team being part of a championship campaign

If we don't go up, hopefully everyone signs up for another shot at it again......must have been an enjoyable season for most.

I also wonder at what point our management team get noticed by a "bigger" club as well. Feels like Rhys is ambitious and on field success obviously leads to opportunities.

Hope we are celebrating on Saturday evening.........need to start playing golf on a Saturday again

2 hours ago, FLDiamond said:

I have to say this before a ball is kicked Wednesday night…. I’m very proud of the team and what they’ve achieved this season.   Everyone knew that we didn’t have the largest budget in this league and so finishing where we did was just about right in ‘financial’ terms.   But the board have obviously made the right appointment in Rhys and I’ve become more and more impressed with him as the season has gone on.  He was a standout leader in the squad last season and this year he has taken the step up to manager in his stride.  He’s had a great influence in the squad and those who were here last year have improved  while new signings and much better than they were last August.   And so the playoffs have been a complete b*****d to us over the years but this time it feels different.  I don’t think we’re a team who will collapse under pressure or a quick goal from Hamilton.  This, I believe, is the best chance we’ve had in many a year and in many ways the pressure is off a little bit.  Last season only a fool didn’t understand that if we lost promotion then Easton and Murray would be gone and so it proved.   I know Rhys will be here next year regardless and whatever league we’re in I think the team will be stronger.  I don’t know which of our squad have Championship ambitions but feel most will have a loyalty, or at least a decent bond to Rhys and hopefully we can keep this train running - and in the Championship.  The neutrals are right… WE are the better team. We MUST have confidence in ourselves without being arrogant, which I don’t sense in this squad. Another solid Wednesday night performance will see us putting one foot through the door.  But if it doesn’t happen, I’ll be the first one ready to back the team next year for some silverware.   And maybe even a cup double #100yearson 

Superb post 👏👏

Like many others, I believe that this is our best opportunity for years. Last season's failure for me was all about two players, Simon Murray and max Currie. Murray made the difference in the finals for QP big time and the lack of a quality keeper for us cost us dearly when the chips were down.

We are playing a side in Hamilton  who have rarely hit the highs recently in terms of scoring and don't look as big an obstacle as QP were last season.

My main fear this time concerns the officials. I looked on in amazement as the Hamilton keeper in their last game was allowed to stay on the field after bringing the Alloa guy down in the box. These are the margins that can make or break a season for us, hopefully we can be on the better end of some of these decisions for a change.

I think we need to have the same approach tomorrow as last Tuesday. Hit them early and hit them hard. Falkirk knew what were were all about and capable of, but it didn't stop us. Don't think Hamilton players will know anywhere near as much about us, so that can play to our advantage. Yes there will be nerves, but I'd be surprised if their players were not the same. 

Also, hearing hardly any of their team are signed up for next season, so could their commitment and effort drop as a result? A few of them maybe offski already and switching off? We've seen it with some of our players in previous play off finals. 

Here's hoping we see it in some of Hamiltons players tomorrow night and Saturday. 

I don’t think I’ll feel at ease unless we repeat what we done to Falkirk in the first leg, which I suppose you can’t expect to happen again in the final, although we can hope.

Hamilton won’t know much about us, and that could work in our favour, but I’ve absolutely no idea if they’re as capable of a complete collapse like we knew Falkirk were, as we’ve seen them fall apart on more than one occasion since they joined us in League One.

Still haven’t really got over last year’s playoff final so on a personal level I’m trying really hard not to get carried away. Whatever happens I think we’ll be in good hands next season. Last year’s defeat was so heartbreaking because it felt like our big chance and we’d blown it. We knew how difficult the league was going to be and that we’d lose Murray and at least Easton. We kept more of that season’s squad than I expected, and even though League One will be hard again next season (Falkirk, Cove, QOTS, Alloa) and players might leave if we fall short, I think we’ll be in a good position to challenge at the top end once again. And if we go up I think we can have a good go at it in the Championship.

The state of calmness that I’m trying to force myself into will go out the window tomorrow by the way.

45 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

I think we need to have the same approach tomorrow as last Tuesday. Hit them early and hit them hard. Falkirk knew what were were all about and capable of, but it didn't stop us. Don't think Hamilton players will know anywhere near as much about us, so that can play to our advantage. Yes there will be nerves, but I'd be surprised if their players were not the same. 

Also, hearing hardly any of their team are signed up for next season, so could their commitment and effort drop as a result? A few of them maybe offski already and switching off? We've seen it with some of our players in previous play off finals. 

Here's hoping we see it in some of Hamiltons players tomorrow night and Saturday. 

Would be surprised if a lot of players jumped ship, only ones i think could leave regardless if we go up would be Smith and Frizzell.