The 'Tremendous' Tales of Tightfistedness Thread

On 24/08/2023 at 12:22, thistledo said:

making his family (of 4 or 5) use the one electric toothbrush and just swap the heads over. 

Sorry to pull this up after months but is this not an entirely normal thing to do? The toothbrushes are designed in this way for this exact reason, no? It'd be utterly insane buying 5 separate toothbrushes that all had interchangeable heads. 

17 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Sorry to pull this up after months but is this not an entirely normal thing to do? The toothbrushes are designed in this way for this exact reason, no? It'd be utterly insane buying 5 separate toothbrushes that all had interchangeable heads. 

You're bum! The heads are different shapes. It's not so you can share a handle.

4 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

You're bum! The heads are different shapes. It's not so you can share a handle.

Whit? The heads are the same and they come with different coloured rings so you can tell which one belongs to you. Why would they come with coloured rings to identify them if they weren't expecting folk to share the handle? 

25 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

That's what I assumed. We had one when I was wee and everyone had an identical head with different coloured trim.

"Identical head with different coloured trim" does rather read like an alien's summation of humanity in Fife, thinking about it.

16 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Whit? The heads are the same and they come with different coloured rings so you can tell which one belongs to you. Why would they come with coloured rings to identify them if they weren't expecting folk to share the handle? 

Because the ring lets you know which toothbrush belongs to who.

The heads are not all the same either.

7 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Because the ring lets you know which toothbrush belongs to who.

The heads are not all the same either.

The ring goes on the head, not the handle, because the heads are supposed to be interchanged with the handle. 

You can buy an array of different heads suited to what you want. You can buy packs of the same heads too. 

I maintain it's mental to be spending £50+ each on numerous toothbrushes when you can buy the cheap heads and interchange them. Tight-fistedness is surely for small sums of money, saving your family of 4 or 5 potentially hundreds of pounds on toothbrushes does not fall into that category. 

Going back a few years, but a bloke who was a mate of my Dad's showed a remarkable level of tight.

He won on a scratchcard, brand new Astra coupe (so around 2000 or so this would have been) and he was peacocking away about how well he'd done, but he wasn't keeping it as he needed the land rover ting he had as it was easier for his wife to get in and out of (she had arthritis).

He picks it up at the dealer and straight away asks what can he get for it, dealer naturally says about 5k below list price, second hand.  He would still have been coming out with about £14k iirc.
the big man is so incensed that he isn't getting list price, he storms off and says he'll drive it for a year - so for the next year he made his missus and her walking frame get in and out of this motor, rather than just accept he's still 14k up

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

^^^Uses both sides of toilet paper.

21 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

There's free food in the shared fridges at work, but I tend to stick to the cans of coke etc.

A few trips ago I put a can/tin of juice into the fridge in a rec area where I'd never had anything stolen for the few years I'd been working there. 

My colleague saw me doing this and started nipping my head saying "don't put it there, it'll get nicked, put in the office fridge downstairs!" about ten million times.  Just to shut him up, I moved it into the office fridge for the first time.  Less than an hour later I went to get what should have been a refreshing cold drink. Gone.

Trust no one.

27 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

A few trips ago I put a can/tin of juice into the fridge in a rec area where I'd never had anything stolen for the few years I'd been working there. 

My colleague saw me doing this and started nipping my head saying "don't put it there, it'll get nicked, put in the office fridge downstairs!" about ten million times.  Just to shut him up, I moved it into the office fridge for the first time.  Less than an hour later I went to get what should have been a refreshing cold drink. Gone.

Trust no one.

100% your colleague took it. 

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

That's what I assumed. We had one when I was wee and everyone had an identical head with different coloured trim.

"Identical head with different coloured trim" does rather read like an alien's summation of humanity in Fife, thinking about it.

Always good to start the day with a chuckle.............👏

6 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

Minesweepin' is the ultimate fun bar game.

Only ever done it at a club and not for years but let's just say you often get more than you bargain for :lol:

They're not called mines for no reason.

8 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

"playing rounds" or as normal people term it - simply buying someone back a drink who bought you one. 🤣

Some folks devote real time and energy to avoid having to buy anyone a drink or making a tenner stretch (and not through lack of funds) - whether it is opportune disappearances or avoiding eye contact,, making sure never up at the bar first in entering the pub, nursing drinks, boring or stalking partial strangers to see if can illicit drinks etc etc. Must be exhausting and pretty miserable. 

giphy.gif

Edited by RawB93

5 hours ago, The Moonster said:

IMG_8957.thumb.webp.ccfeb383277a259928c6c36eb350d68a.webp

Why are there never any brown rings?

IMG_8958.gif.62636fc4b41d1a7542df73d6b3e9f980.gif

5 hours ago, The Moonster said:

The ring goes on the head, not the handle, because the heads are supposed to be interchanged with the handle. 

You can buy an array of different heads suited to what you want. You can buy packs of the same heads too. 

I maintain it's mental to be spending £50+ each on numerous toothbrushes when you can buy the cheap heads and interchange them. Tight-fistedness is surely for small sums of money, saving your family of 4 or 5 potentially hundreds of pounds on toothbrushes does not fall into that category. 

Eh? So the wife is meant to go down the hall to my bathroom to get the communal toothbrush body, take it back to her bathroom and return it?

What about tonight? I'm in Chepstow. Should she get the sleeper train down to borrow her bit of the toothbrush?

9 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

Minesweepin' is the ultimate fun bar game.

Only ever done that once, at kicking out time in the pub where we'd watched England v. Scotland at Euro 2020. I was smashed and then some. Threw up all over a Premier Inn that night and somehow got off scot free. I am eternally grateful for their grey carpets being the perfect colour to hide vomit stains in.

Edited by southernrover
Colours ffs

47 minutes ago, southernrover said:

Only ever done that once, at kicking out time in the pub where we'd watched England v. Scotland at Euro 2020. I was smashed and then some. Threw up all over a Premier Inn that night and somehow got off scot free. I am eternally grateful for their purple carpets being the perfect colour to hide vomit stains in.

Unless there was an ungodly quantity of beetroot in your kebab that night, or there was a lot of snakebite and blackcurrant drinkers in that Premier Inn, I'd get that checked out.

Edited by Aim Here

32 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

Unless there was an ungodly quantity of beetroot in your kebab that night, or there was a lot of snakebite and blackcurrant drinkers in that Premier Inn, I'd get that checked out.

I think I meant grey. I was pissed then and I'm a good way there typing this now in my defence.

1 hour ago, Newbornbairn said:

Eh? So the wife is meant to go down the hall to my bathroom to get the communal toothbrush body, take it back to her bathroom and return it?

What about tonight? I'm in Chepstow. Should she get the sleeper train down to borrow her bit of the toothbrush?

I think you've created a debate I'm not having in order to post a brag about having your own bathroom. 

If your circumstances require you to regularly have separate toothbrushes that's totally fine. I'm just not accepting that people who share it are being tight-fisted. 

14 hours ago, RawB93 said:

Love folk who offer to buy rounds.

Unfortunately for you, you don't realise I'm not playing "rounds" and this is actually just a free drink from someone I probably wasn't even going to say hello to. 

Enjoy your night, mate.

Extract from John Barleycorn, by Jack London, where he realises that the etiquette of drinking involves reciprocity. In fairness to him, he is mortified.

That was why Nelson had lingered at the bar. Having bought a drink, he had waited for me to buy one. I HAD LET HIM BUY SIX DRINKS AND NEVER ONCE OFFERED TO TREAT. And he was the great Nelson! I could feel myself blushing with shame. I sat down on the stringer-piece of the wharf and buried my face in my hands. And the heat of my shame burned up my neck and into my cheeks and forehead. I have blushed many times in my life, but never have I experienced so terrible a blush as that one.