Cove Thread

3 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Would probably rather have him than any of our current striking options 

That's a compliment in new signing terms. What's his best qualities?

Must admit seen him a couple of times last season at random Falkirk games I attended and he looked pacey, got in good positions and could score a variety of different types of goals.

Fairly happy with this signing especially if he plays alongside Mitch. Sure there is more to come next week to compliment our growing squad.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Burrell is okay if he can be arsed, has good pace, misses a lot of decent chances and is prone to the odd huff. Unlike the other Falkirk poster I wouldn’t want him back and I wasn’t that bothered when he left.

Edited to add, he might be a different player if he is up top with another striker as we only really saw him up top on his own.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

He was brilliant when he came off the bench against tired defences. When he started games it was a bit of a mixed bag, had a couple of really good games but some others where he struggled. From memory, you seemed to play with 2 up top, that would probably help. He wasted a lot of energy with pointless running when he started games. There’s definitely potential, whether Hartley can unlock is anyone’s guess

47 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Cove's 5th signing is Rumarn Burrell who was recently with Killie on loan and previously released by Falkirk. Only a 1 year deal. Hoping he can form a decent partnership alongside Mitch. Connell would likely be 3rd choice / competition as I don't envisage us playing 3 up top with any consistency 

Other way about.

1 minute ago, latapythelegend said:

Strange one, left us when he had the option to stay and then ends up at Cove?

Can only assume he was promised a better move and it has fell through. If so he will feel a bit embarrassed.

Yeah odd. He had the whole window to look for another club. 1 year with us, if he hits form and bangs in some goals he will be off unless we go up and did offer him something more substantial 

35 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Must admit seen him a couple of times last season at random Falkirk games I attended and he looked pacey, got in good positions and could score a variety of different types of goals.

Fairly happy with this signing especially if he plays alongside Mitch. Sure there is more to come next week to compliment our growing squad.

Difficult to tell what kind of Burrell you're going to get each week. There were rumours of him being a horrendous trainer and it doesn't surprise me at all given some games he didn't look interested at all so offered very little.

Seemed to relish playing against the scum so no doubt he'll have 4 cracking games against us as you kind of got the impression he wasn't very happy with how McGlynn managed him. 

Produces moments of magic like the Kelty goal last season but at the same time misses his fair share of absolute sitters. 

Decent enough in the air and absolutely rapid but too weak to play upfront on his own so having him in a front 2 will suit him best.

Edited by FFC 1876

6 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Difficult to tell what kind of Burrell you're going to get each week. There were rumours of him being a horrendous trainer and it doesn't surprise me at all given some games he didn't look interested at all so offered very little.

Seemed to relish playing against the scum so no doubt he'll have 4 cracking games against us as you kind of got the impression he wasn't very happy with how McGlynn managed him. 

Produces moments of magic like the Kelty goal last season but at the same time misses his fair share of absolute sitters. 

Decent enough in the air and absolutely rapid but too weak to play upfront on his own so having him in a front 2 will suit him best.

Seems like getting consistency out of him will be the difficult part. Clearly he has some ability. We were blessed with having a strong partnership and two natural scorers last time we were in L1. I don't see that being rivalled with the addition of Burrell but he's an option and we still have time to add reinforcements if needed.

Btw Lang and Spencer, some signings,  should stroll L1. Impressed by both last season. Miller more than capable of adding something to your squad too.

Just now, CoveRangers1922 said:

Seems like getting consistency out of him will be the difficult part. Clearly he has some ability. We were blessed with having a strong partnership and two natural scorers last time we were in L1. I don't see that being rivalled with the addition of Burrell but he's an option and we still have time to add reinforcements if needed.

Btw Lang and Spencer, some signings,  should stroll L1. Impressed by both last season. Miller more than capable of adding something to your squad too.

Yeah Spencer & Lang were a shock, thought they'd have had offers further up the leagues than us so great to have them onboard. If Miller's kept all his pace from his younger days he'll be a good upgrade on what we had.

Agyeman adds more pace and power to our attack and MacIver looks like McGlynn's ideal big physical striker. Happy with Hogarth as our number 1 as we know what we're getting with him and he's a local lad so what's not to love.

Still need a right back(Tumilty/Hodson are the rumours), a back up keeper(Clyde fan was on about Ryan Mullen coming) and hopefully another midfielder & striker to finish us off.

McGlynn said we needed more pace, power and aggression this season, so far he seems to be hitting that brief on the signing front.

I actually half expected Burrell to rock up at Dunfermline, McPake seemed to rate him, he could prove a useful addition. I'm not convinced we have enough up front and I'd probably have kept him over Gary Oliver if push came to shove. 

1 hour ago, latapythelegend said:

Can only assume he was promised a better move and it has fell through. If so he will feel a bit embarrassed.

Or maybe Cove offer very good terms? Not sure how they fund things up there.

6 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Yeah pretty much this I’d say. Scores all sorts of goals (barring headers maybe). Lots of pace and can cut in from wings as good as many out and out wingers. If he’s got his back to goal though he’s absolutely rotten and you’ll need someone else doing that job. 

Potential attitude problem but don’t know about that so can’t comment.

Cove's 6th summer signing is Sena on 2 year deal.

Physical enforcer who should add some steel to our central midfield and allow more freedom to the likes of Fyvie, Yule and Scully. Happy with that.

Midfield of Sena, Fyvie, Yule, Scully and potentially Longstaff will be fairly strong. Mitch and Burrell could work. Still need a couple of very good wing backs and some depth.

https://coverangersfc.com/2023/06/19/signing-number-six-is-sena/

this signing and a 2 year deal too.image.thumb.jpeg.61f14949cd0826ad7903235833eee7d1.jpeg

19 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Cove's 6th summer signing is Sena on 2 year deal.

Physical enforcer who should add some steel to our central midfield and allow more freedom to the likes of Fyvie, Yule and Scully. Happy with that.

https://coverangersfc.com/2023/06/19/signing-number-six-is-sena/

this signing and a 2 year deal too.image.thumb.jpeg.61f14949cd0826ad7903235833eee7d1.jpeg

Was talking about him on our thread earlier this year as a potential signing, not the best of footballers but he provides a whole lot of energy and aggression.

16 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Was talking about him on our thread earlier this year as a potential signing, not the best of footballers but he provides a whole lot of energy and aggression.

Yeah I've rated him for a while. Tall, physical, aggressive and will allow our more creative players the ability to play a bit higher. Will be an upgrade to Vigurs although Sena won't have the range of extensive range of passing.

On 16/06/2023 at 19:22, latapythelegend said:

He wasn’t offered an extension, Mcglynn released him. Hope that decision doesn’t come back to bite us, despite his inconsistency we seen enough to suggest with the right coaching there could be a decent striker in there. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

42 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Yeah I've rated him for a while. Tall, physical, aggressive and will allow our more creative players the ability to play a bit higher. Will be an upgrade to Vigurs although Sena won't have the range of extensive range of passing.

He is, it has to be said, an extremely limited footballer on the ball. He just doesn’t ever seem to be fully in control of it when he’s running with the ball, and his range of passing is, as you say, not extensive. Off it, he’ll run and tackle all day long, and he actually did quite well playing centre half so for us for a bit, so he has some versatility and the discipline to do it - although I’d still say you shouldn’t really play him there unless it’s an emergency. But aye, you’ll desperately need creativity elsewhere if he’s in your midfield because he simply won’t provide it. Fyvie might be the ideal partner for him to be honest. 

He seems like a genuinely great guy off the pitch so I really hope it works out for him with you guys and, for a guy at 23 years old, he has a decent amount of League One level experience already. I don’t think he has potential to be much more than a bottom end Championship/top end League One player to be honest, but I suppose that’s probably exactly where Cove are looking to be for the next few years at least.