The Famous Aberdeen’s European Tour 19/20

Frank Grimes

Job done. Not pretty whereas last week was generally very pleasing on the eye. Concerns around the defence looking shaky still and Cosgrove missing too many chances. Once we got the equaliser, we rarely looked bothered. Some ball by Wright for the winning goal.

2 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Job done. Not pretty whereas last week was generally very pleasing on the eye. Concerns around the defence looking shaky still and Cosgrove missing too many chances. Once we got the equaliser, we rarely looked bothered. Some ball by Wright for the winning goal.

Two chances which he should have done much better with. Still, 2 for 2, he's warming up. Excellent penalty from him. 

16 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

Two chances which he should have done much better with. Still, 2 for 2, he's warming up. Excellent penalty from him. 

The positive thing is when he wasn't scoring at the beginning of last season it's because he wasn't getting any chances.

He didn't score many you wouldn't expect him to put away so I expect another profitable season.

As others have said, job done and in the next round. I know it’s easy to say, but on the basis of last week I wasn’t concerned when we went one down just after a minute. Apart from the last five minutes or so, we completely dominated the match and created countless chances over the two legs. Hope that the travelling fans have a great night tonight.

Ferguson was good - the best player in an otherwise poor performance. Hedges and McGinn had flashes, but I'm struggling beyond that. Thankfully, they were a really guff outfit. 

Cosgrove was poor today, and was far too profligate last week, but I'm struggling to see a better option. Wilson is probably only half-fit. Also, without wanting to write the boy off completely, I wasn't too impressed with Main when he came on and we arguably begun to look even less of a threat, although energy levels obviously contributed to that. 

McGinn, Hedges and McLennan would, on paper, be an exciting proposition behind the striker. I wouldn't mind seeing that next week, with one of Ojo or Bryson hopefully coming in beside Ferguson. I think Gallagher can be a useful squad option, especially when games become stretched, but there is definitely a touch of athlete first and footballer second about him. I'm not sure what McLennan's fitness is like at the moment, but his directness, physicality and his ability to create something out of nothing would be nice to have back in the team.

My gut instinct is that Considine and McKenna remains our best centre-back pairing. Might be reunited if Leigh is fit for next week. 

Looked like a good trip. 

We are in the next round. 

Hedges looks good. Mcginn looks fit. Ferguson is going to have a big season and leave for a fortune. Good experience for Campbell. Main and Taylor still have a lot of convincing to do. 

2nd gear and never in doubt. 

Looked like a good trip. 
We are in the next round. 
Hedges looks good. Mcginn looks fit. Ferguson is going to have a big season and leave for a fortune. Good experience for Campbell. Main and Taylor still have a lot of convincing to do. 
2nd gear and never in doubt. 

I was very much in doubt. I’ve seen enough of the Dandies in Europe. Did enough though, and two 90 minute wins is welcome. Agree that Ferguson was MOTM, Gallagher still looked dangerous though, and in the second half he really stretched the game when they were chasing a goal.

I’d wager the Georgians will be a much sterner test.

29 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

I was very much in doubt. I’ve seen enough of the Dandies in Europe. Did enough though, and two 90 minute wins is welcome. Agree that Ferguson was MOTM, Gallagher still looked dangerous though, and in the second half he really stretched the game when they were chasing a goal.

I’d wager the Georgians will be a much sterner test.

They will be given their recent scalps include Turkish and Israeli opposition - and playing technical players in hot weather can be a problem for us.

I had a feeling we'd lose a goal last night and the fact it happened so early at least dispelled any notion of hanging on for a 0-0, which would have made for an excrutiating last 20.

Cosgrove is at least there for the chances, and despite the glaring misses in both legs, still has 2 goals to his name already.

I thought the rest of the side were relatively efficient, with Ferguson and Campbell both doing very well considering the worries over the young midfield.  Is Lingman 'worth a look' ?

Guest Bob Mahelp

Thought we were pretty good box to box, but a bit rank in both penalty areas. 

Logan's poor form remains a concern, something that RoPS recognised last night as in the 2nd half all their attacking came down our right. I thought Taylor and McKenna grew into the game and didn't really give their forwards a sniff after the 2nd minute. Big Andy.....a man so consistently reliable and stable that we take him for granted.....was imperious over both legs. 

McGinn was again our main attacking threat, but Hedges and Gallagher both put in a decent shift. if Cosgrove had his head screwed on the right way, he could already be sitting on 6 goals for the season.

Lewis Ferguson is simply a remarkable football player. 19 years old, built like a brick shithouse and tactically astute with a great engine. The guy is a phenomomomomomom, and I'll bite my own c0ck off if he isn't an internationalist within 12 months, a future Dons captain and/or a multi-million pound transfer to the Premiership or Europe.

All in all, we were better than I expected. Bring on the Georgians, who will undoubtedly be a tougher test. It's good to have the 2nd leg at home though.

Edited by Bob Mahelp

24 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Is Lingman 'worth a look' ?

Absolutely, although I think bigger teams than us might have a look at him.

Got to think though having seen him close up twice, if we have the budget, then McInnes might just be asking the question

10 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Thought we were pretty good box to box, but a bit rank in both penalty areas. 

Logan's poor form remains a concern, something that RoPS recognised last night as in the 2nd half all their attacking came down our right. I thought Taylor and McKenna grew into the game and didn't really give their forwards a sniff after the 2nd minute. Big Andy.....a man so consistently reliable and stable that we take him for granted.....was imperious over both legs. 

McGinn was again our main attacking threat, but Hedges and Gallagher both put in a decent shift. if Cosgrove had his head screwed on the right way, he could already be sitting on 6 goals for the season.

Lewis Ferguson is simply a remarkable football player. 19 years old, built like a brick shithouse and tactically astute with a great engine. The guy is a phenomomomomomom, and I'll bite my own c0ck off if he isn't an internationalist within 12 months, a future Dons captain and/or a multi-million pound transfer to the Premiership or Europe.

All in all, we were better than I expected. Bring on the Georgians, who will undoubtedly be a tougher test. It's good to have the 2nd leg at home though.

Agree with all of that. Seems to be a lot of negativity but all and all that was fairly comfortable and a decent 180 minutes for so early in the season.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Agree with all of that. Seems to be a lot of negativity but all and all that was fairly comfortable and a decent 180 minutes for so early in the season.

Aye. The Finns were better than the Latvians for instance, and given they were a full-time team halfway through their season there's always the potential to slip up.

Over the 180 minutes though, I thought we bullied and out-paced them from start to finish., which is a good sign in mid-July. Only some awful finishing prevented that being an 8 or 9-1 aggregate score.

6 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Aye. The Finns were better than the Latvians for instance, and given they were a full-time team halfway through their season there's always the potential to slip up.

Over the 180 minutes though, I thought we bullied and out-paced them from start to finish., which is a good sign in mid-July. Only some awful finishing prevented that being an 8 or 9-1 aggregate score.

Yep, as you say our work in both boxes made that a lot closer than it should have been.

Also worth noting our midfield 3 contained an 18, 19 and 23 year old that just bossed a Euro tie as well.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Hold on.

Both Aberdeen and UEFA's websites have us at home next Thursday night. 

Is that right ? I thought the ties had been switched ?