Rangers' Wee Spot in Europe - Season 2023/24

Quite a sickening result considering where we found ourselves at half time being a goal and a man up. In terms of performance we were dominant for 35 mins but for some reason the game just seemed to flip entirely from the free kick McGregor gave away onwards. We became timid and allowed Malmo to get on the ball without any pressure.

Two moments of real quality from their number 9 and we were chasing it. We huffed and puffed but with no real quality or composure that we've been used to in European competition under Gerrard. Steve Davis was the only one I thought that got pass marks but was let down badly by his teammates.

Infuriating watching it as you know this is a team that is capable of far better but for some reason we haven't been able to get going yet this season. Maybe in previous seasons the mutiple rounds of European Qualifiers have helped us get up to speed, whereas this season we seem to be rusty and lethargic.

On the positives, it was excellent to be inside a full Ibrox once again even if the result was poor.

Big improvements needed.

11 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Is that the one where vaulting ambition allied to delusion, leads to lashing out en route to a messy death?

Haven't heard that sort of chat since I studied Macbeth 50 odd years ago.

11 hours ago, kingjoey said:

At no point in that second half did it look as if Malmo were a player short.

Maybe they weren't.

Did anybody count them at the start of the second half??

41 minutes ago, AJF said:

Quite a sickening result considering where we found ourselves at half time being a goal and a man up. In terms of performance we were dominant for 35 mins but for some reason the game just seemed to flip entirely from the free kick McGregor gave away onwards. We became timid and allowed Malmo to get on the ball without any pressure.

Two moments of real quality from their number 9 and we were chasing it. We huffed and puffed but with no real quality or composure that we've been used to in European competition under Gerrard. Steve Davis was the only one I thought that got pass marks but was let down badly by his teammates.

Infuriating watching it as you know this is a team that is capable of far better but for some reason we haven't been able to get going yet this season. Maybe in previous seasons the mutiple rounds of European Qualifiers have helped us get up to speed, whereas this season we seem to be rusty and lethargic.

On the positives, it was excellent to be inside a full Ibrox once again even if the result was poor.

Big improvements needed.

Is your throat hoarse from booing?

15 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Is your throat hoarse from booing?

Haha, certainly not. I'm not one for booing. I don't particularly object to people voicing their displeasure after a bad performance either, though.

5 minutes ago, Silvio said:

Are they capable of better ? No doubt they should be beating Malmo, but how good are they really ? 

I'd say they definitely are given our European performances under Gerrard have generally been very good. We have beaten far better teams than Malmo in the last couple of years in Europe so, yes, I think they are capable of better.

9 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I don't subscribe to Premier Sports but I heard Tavernier was dreadful defensively as usual?

Tavernier wasn't really a standout in the dreadful category last night - Barisic on the other hand, was woeful. Caught out over the top all night and was given a torrid time.