Rangers' Wee Spot in Europe - Season 2023/24

6 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Oh, I could you know.

I could simply choose to support a club that gets to play with a stacked deck.  I went to the right school and everything.

That I choose not to, would surely suggest I'm not that envious of those who do, wouldn't it?

If I change my mind though, I'll give you a shout.  I'm guessing there's no entrance exam to negotiate?

We are an inclusive bunch, what school you went to doesn’t matter one iota.

And it’s just going to the fitba mate not law school 🤨 however you are more than welcome

17 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Oh, I could you know.

I could simply choose to support a club that gets to play with a stacked deck.  I went to the right school and everything.

That I choose not to, would surely suggest I'm not that envious of those who do, wouldn't it?

If I change my mind though, I'll give you a shout.  I'm guessing there's no entrance exam to negotiate?

And people say old firm fans are bitter 😂holding up the fact you back a diddy team like some badge of honour in the mistaken belief it makes their success more pure or a bigger team's somehow of less value is shitehawk behaviour.

What a small outlook you have.

1 minute ago, aarbann CSC said:

And people say old firm fans are bitter 😂holding up the fact you back a diddy team like some badge of honour in the mistaken belief it makes their success more pure or a bigger team's somehow of less value is shitehawk behaviour.

What a small outlook you have.

Nah, no real 'badge of honour' element about it.  I like football and just support the team that plays near where I'm from, every couple of weeks.

That's all.  Your outburst is making you sound a bit envious to be honest.  I'd avoid it if I were you - it's not a good look.

"Celtic turnover is around 70 million
Rangers tunrover is around 59 million and Aberdeen 14 million."

Congratulations, some achievement winning the league 9 times in a row when you have 5 times the budget of your nearest sustained challenger over that period in Aberdeen. Is there any other league that has that sort of disparity? Albanian super league?

25 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

^^^ posts Marilyn Monroe memes on Facebook

Haha daft fucker thinks he knows me 😂 

15 minutes ago, Fistle said:

Congratulations, some achievement winning the league 9 times in a row 

Thank you 👍

8 hours ago, Fistle said:

Congratulations, some achievement winning the league 9 times in a row when you have 5 times the budget of your nearest sustained challenger over that period in Aberdeen. Is there any other league that has that sort of disparity? Albanian super league?

You're dead right.

You have to laugh that he posted those figures in order to challenge the idea that it's essentially meaningless and hollow that Celtic won those successive titles.

7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

You're dead right.

You have to laugh that he posted those figures in order to challenge the idea that it's essentially meaningless and hollow that Celtic won those successive titles.

You also have to laugh at the graft you are putting in to try validate your point, suggests you may care just a little too much which only validates my earlier opinion of why you feel like way 😉

Its odd but I actually find myself feeling a little sorry for you 

5 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

You also have to laugh at the graft you are putting in to try validate your point, suggests you may care just a little too much which only validates my earlier opinion of why you feel like way 😉

Its odd but I actually find myself feeling a little sorry for you 

Don't feel sorry for me Mate.

I don't write things like "why you feel like way".

9 hours ago, Fistle said:

Scottish football is statistically the least competitive league in Europe.

2 teams have win the league for the last 36yrs, no other league has less winners.

From top to bottom in finances Celtic had 22x the finance power of Livingston. The biggest gap in Europe.

When taking the top 2-3 teams against the rest Scotland has the biggest gap in Europe, only Portugal comes close.

I heard on the price of football podcast 96% of spending on transfer fees in Scotland in the last few years was spent by the OF. 4% of transfer spend was by the other 40 clubs.

The OF really value winning the SPFL but they have too. Nobody else sees this as an achievement. You can't blame their fans for this but they also should accept they have the biggest advantage in European football, even bigger than PSG, Juve and Bayern.

12 minutes ago, ahemps said:

2 teams have win the league for the last 36yrs, no other league has less winners.

From top to bottom in finances Celtic had 22x the finance power of Livingston. The biggest gap in Europe.

When taking the top 2-3 teams against the rest Scotland has the biggest gap in Europe, only Portugal comes close.

I heard on the price of football podcast 96% of spending on transfer fees in Scotland in the last few years was spent by the OF. 4% of transfer spend was by the other 40 clubs.

The OF really value winning the SPFL but they have too. Nobody else sees this as an achievement. You can't blame their fans for this but they also should accept they have the biggest advantage in European football, even bigger than PSG, Juve and Bayern.

Good post apart from the "You can't blame their fans" part.  You can - especially in terms of fans from towns with their own teams - and I do.

Even Portugal, which you cite as closest, has had four League Champions this century.

26 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Don't feel sorry for me Mate.

I don't write things like "why you feel like way".

But i do, doubly so when all you have to pick up on is my predictive texting errors from typing on my phone.

However so long as it helped you feel a little better about yourself that can only be a positive 👍

7 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

But i do, doubly so when all you have to pick up on is my predictive texting errors from typing on my phone.

However so long as it helped you feel a little better about yourself that can only be a positive 👍

Forgive me, but you'll need to explain how this works.

Why would you pity a football fan for highlighting and resenting the gross financial imbalance in our game?

Presumably, your sympathy would be directed elsewhere if I was ignorant of it, accepting of it, or actively participating in it?

Please explain this for me, because the problem now is that it looks a lot like you've just thrown ' I feel sorry for you' in there as an insult, in the absence of counter arguments.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Forgive me, but you'll need to explain how this works.

Why would you pity a football fan for highlighting and resenting the gross financial imbalance in our game?

Presumably, your sympathy would be directed elsewhere if I was ignorant of it, accepting of it, or actively participating in it?

Please explain this for me, because the problem now is that it looks a lot like you've just thrown ' I feel sorry for you' in there as an insult, in the absence of counter arguments.

Your initial point was Celtic make more money than the rest of the SPFL combined which we have been able to determine that they don’t. The point where Rangers took their “sabbatical” that may have been the case however we are now 5 years on from that point where that no longer exists.

Your other point was regarding sense of achievement and that it must feel hollow. Celtics goal at the start of every season is to win the league, simple as that. We as fans spend roughly £600 a year (not including kits, away tickets, cup matches) to watch our team do exactly that so when they do we have the right to feel a sense of achievement for getting our money’s worth. As for it being or feeling hollow well quite simply you have never experienced it to know what it feels like so it’s churlish in my opinion to even suggest it as it is for me to suggest there isn’t a massive financial gap between Celtic and Rangers to the rest of Scottish football but I haven’t claimed otherwise here. 

But here is the thing, what do Celtic and Rangers do? Leave which could put the Scottish football pyramid system into more financial trouble? Tell their fans they can no longer show up in the numbers they do and spend the money they do as it’s unfair on the rest of the league? If you have a solution that is viable and sensible then I’m all ears 

In my opinion you come across a little envious, most certainly bitter and definitely harbour some resentment. Maybe a Celtic or Rangers fan took your favourite fitba off you as a wean or something I really don’t know however my opinion on that is essentially validated when you replied to the other poster who said you can’t blame the fans and you replied yes you can.

So I’m more than happy to defend my team and bring you a counter argument when you make a point backed up by fact instead of you just trying to enforce your opinion on what I should be feeling because quite frankly you don’t have the right nor are you important enough to influence it.

1 hour ago, ahemps said:

I agree with most of what you say however unsure if they have a bigger financial gap than PSG do to the rest of Ligue 1

Remember seeing 2 stats recently where it showed PSG advertising and sponsorship revenue totalling close to 195 million euros which was 160 million more than the next club which I think was either OM or Lyon and the sum of 195 million was more than all other clubs combined which is some feat considering Ligue 1 is a much bigger league than ours.

The 2nd figure was that PSG’s annual wage bill with Messi now on board was actually larger than the value of 18 of the other 19 clubs in Ligue 1, Monaco I think we’re the only club valued above 300 million.

What Lille did last year was a superb feat and really shouldn’t have been possible considering the gulf in resources and arguably a much bigger upset than Celtic loosing to Rangers. 

The difference between our league to theirs is they do have 3 or 4 other teams that are all pushing each other for 2nd so that does make it more competitive in that sense 

Edited by Jinky67

20 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

In my opinion you come across a little envious, most certainly bitter and definitely harbour some resentment. Maybe a Celtic or Rangers fan took your favourite fitba off you as a wean or something 

This childish drivel is open espoused by old firm fans when they feel the need to be constantly on the defensive over the massive advantage in resources they enjoy over everyone else bar their counterparts. If any "diddy" fans were really that envious, or bitter over the success of another club, we'd simply take the easy option and start supporting them.

No sane individual supports any of the non-OF sides because they expect to see them win trophies. I know plenty of football fans, and I can categorically state that the bitterest of them are always either Rangers or Celtic fans (depending on which half is currently dominating). 

20 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Your initial point was Celtic make more money than the rest of the SPFL combined which we have been able to determine that they don’t. The point where Rangers took their “sabbatical” that may have been the case however we are now 5 years on from that point where that no longer exists.

Your other point was regarding sense of achievement and that it must feel hollow. Celtics goal at the start of every season is to win the league, simple as that. We as fans spend roughly £600 a year (not including kits, away tickets, cup matches) to watch our team do exactly that so when they do we have the right to feel a sense of achievement for getting our money’s worth. As for it being or feeling hollow well quite simply you have never experienced it to know what it feels like so it’s churlish in my opinion to even suggest it as it is for me to suggest there isn’t a massive financial gap between Celtic and Rangers to the rest of Scottish football but I haven’t claimed otherwise here. 

But here is the thing, what do Celtic and Rangers do? Leave which could put the Scottish football pyramid system into more financial trouble? Tell their fans they can no longer show up in the numbers they do and spend the money they do as it’s unfair on the rest of the league? If you have a solution that is viable and sensible then I’m all ears 

In my opinion you come across a little envious, most certainly bitter and definitely harbour some resentment. Maybe a Celtic or Rangers fan took your favourite fitba off you as a wean or something I really don’t know however my opinion on that is essentially validated when you replied to the other poster who said you can’t blame the fans and you replied yes you can.

So I’m more than happy to defend my team and bring you a counter argument when you make a point backed up by fact instead of you just trying to enforce your opinion on what I should be feeling because quite frankly you don’t have the right nor are you important enough to influence it.

Wow.

You guys each spend £600 in order to see your team win the league.  I'm a little speechless that you're actually admitting that the nature of your support is so transactional - oh the romance of it. 

I know you were saying you feel sorry for me earlier, but God, I maybe actually do feel that way a bit if that's the nature of your relationship with your club, and indeed, with football.

You're right that I am resentful, maybe even bitter.

But envious?  I wasn't anyway, but I'm really not now.