Learning new languages

How many cunning linguists are on P and B?

I'm trying to learn Swedish just now and have finished Duolingo, been watching films with Swedish subtitles, follow Swedish people on twitter etc.

Any other tips other than moving to Sweden?

23 minutes ago, Blootoon87 said:

I'm trying to learn Swedish just now and have finished Duolingo, been watching films with Swedish subtitles, follow Swedish people on twitter etc.

That is outstanding.

What got you into learning Swedish?

That is outstanding.

My girlfriend is Swedish and although she speaks perfect English, I feel like a dick for expecting her to speak in her second language all the time. I do speak to her in Swedish a bit but obviously she doesn't want to spend endless hours of her free time tutoring me.

I’m using dualingo just now for Spanish. Always knew a little Spanish and always wanted to do more. I am finding dualingo the best thing I’ve tried in terms of it actually sticking in my head. Once I’ve completed it I’ll see what else there is to advance it, probably try listening to Spanish radio stations etc. 

10 minutes ago, Blootoon87 said:
23 minutes ago, LincolnHearts said:
That is outstanding.

My girlfriend is Swedish and although she speaks perfect English, I feel like a dick for expecting her to speak in her second language all the time. I do speak to her in Swedish a bit but obviously she doesn't want to spend endless hours of her free time tutoring me.

Quality. Hat doffed mate.

Total immersion is without doubt the best way to do it. My German is passable, but I should speak it far better than I do. Working for an American firm in an industry that expects you to speak English doesn't help me much mind you.

I found the approach you are taking(Films and TV with the subtitles on) to be handy for picking up wee phrases and learning different meanings depending on the context. Find it easier to pick things up when watching movies I have seen numerous times in English but with the German subtitles than I do watching German movies with the English subtitles though. I guess because I know half the lines off by heart anyway so don't need to pay as much attention to the soundtrack.

This may sound counter-intuitive, but studying English grammar has helped me a lot in learning new languages. Once you actually understand the rules of English it makes it much easier to spot the differences in a new language. For example, once I realised that we use a combination of past continuous and past simple to describe one action interrupting another in the past (I was watching the football when my ex dumped me) it made it much simpler to describe the same event in Italian (using imperfetto and passato prossimo). Understanding English grammar really has helped immensely.

I think Duolingo is an excellent resource but it has its weaknesses. I'd recommend always supplementing it with vocabulary study using a flashcard programme. I use AnkiDroid and over the last month I've only spent eight minutes a day on it, but have revised words and phrases more than two thousand times.

Watching tv is good but once your level is decent I'd recommend reading books. Underline new vocabulary and structures and get your bird to explain them. It's important to get to a point where you start to think in a language so after reading (sports newspapers are good as well as you have a desire to understand what they're on about) I go for a walk and try to think in the language.

Other than that, always have a couple of pints before attempting to use a new language, fear of making mistakes is what holds most people back and there's nothing like getting a bit tipsy to convince yourself you're great at something!

I agree with a lot of what you're saying Diego, turns out I don't understand the grammar rules of English that well so when she tries to help by asking what/why I would do in English I'm stumped. Pints are definitely a good learning tool, it flows a lot easier after a bit of lubrication.

2 hours ago, Blootoon87 said:

I read that as watching Swedish films...

nudge.png.bc2f74678a9b08d810dea61bac3a1de7.png

3 hours ago, Blootoon87 said:

Get the box set of the Millennium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson, but don't ever be tempted to watch it with the English overdub, it's fucking dreadful.

Stick to Swedish with subtitles.

Ha det bra.

See the source image

I learned a bit of Korean when I lived there but I've probably forgotten most of it now. Can probably still read the characters though, they're pretty simple.

I'm doing okay at Norwegian, although I should be better considering I've been here over two years. I only started lessons last summer. I can read it reasonably well but I really struggle with understanding the local dialect in the area I'm in. Quite good fun the old language game.

I'm trying to improve my French, I find that a lot of words are easy to pick up as most food and goods have English and French labeling. I also like watching TV shows and movies that I know fairly well that have been dubbed for the French channels, watched The Departed (Agents troubles) and picked up a few new words there. I'm keep trying to find decent foreign language shows on Netflix too, after watching Undercover I quite fancy learning a little more Dutch/Flemish. There are free classes available here but I really can't be bothered committing to them.

I'm a little envious of some of the young kids in Toronto, a lot of them can instantly switch from speaking English in a Canadian accent to their parents native tongue. There is a family in our building, black Canadian father and Ukrainian (I think) mother.  It was a little strange at first seeing the little seeing the mixed race kids speaking away in Ukrainian.

Used to play ice hockey with a Swedish guy, the only word I learned started with an F and rhymed  with Pita!

I'm trying to improve my French, I find that a lot of words are easy to pick up as most food and goods have English and French labeling. I also like watching TV shows and movies that I know fairly well that have been dubbed for the French channels, watched The Departed (Agents troubles) and picked up a few new words there. I'm keep trying to find decent foreign language shows on Netflix too, after watching Undercover I quite fancy learning a little more Dutch/Flemish. There are free classes available here but I really can't be bothered committing to them.
I'm a little envious of some of the young kids in Toronto, a lot of them can instantly switch from speaking English in a Canadian accent to their parents native tongue. There is a family in our building, black Canadian father and Ukrainian (I think) mother.  It was a little strange at first seeing the little seeing the mixed race kids speaking away in Ukrainian.
Used to play ice hockey with a Swedish guy, the only word I learned started with an F and rhymed  with Pita!

Are you learning Canadian French or European French?
They are different right?

I remember that French people need subtitles to watch Canadian French TV.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying Diego, turns out I don't understand the grammar rules of English that well so when she tries to help by asking what/why I would do in English I'm stumped. Pints are definitely a good learning tool, it flows a lot easier after a bit of lubrication.

I lived in Germany many years ago. Spoke no German prior to going. The most invaluable thing turned out to be a wee book I took with me called “Benjamin’s Elementary Primer of English Grammar”.
Not sure if still in print but well worth trying to find a copy IMHO.
Good luck....how do you say “Pics or GTF” in Swedish ?

3 hours ago, Blootoon87 said:

Moving definitely helps! I speak a bit of Swedish having lived in Orebro for nearly a year with my Swedish ex. Went back to Stockholm last year to catch up with a couple of people and struggled a lot given how out of practise. I know how difficult it is given everyone speaks such good English there and often just chats back to you in english when you try. I had to really insist!

I'd echo the reading simple stuff on things you know, I'm currently learning Spanish (live in Madrid) and find that really helpful. I try to read loads of football stuff which helps. A couple of beers with a native speaker also helps - I've found my weekly hour having a pint trying to talk Spanish has helped more than formal lessons but just being in Spain and forced to speak it is the best. 

Good luck with it man!

1 minute ago, Cerberus said:

Are you learning Canadian French or European French?
They are different right?

I remember that French people need subtitles to watch Canadian French TV.

Just French in general, in whatever form I can really. Technically there is no universal form of Canadian French. TV shows are mostly in Quebecois French, which as my Quebec native boss says herself, is a medieval form of French compared to 'standard' French, it sounds like they need to blow their nose when I hear it.  Ontario French is a little different to Quebec, and I believe closer to the French spoken in France, then in the Maritimes they speak Acadian French. There is also Metis French and Newfoundland French, the latter actually borders French territory in Saint Pierre et Miquelon 

I lived in Germany many years ago. Spoke no German prior to going. The most invaluable thing turned out to be a wee book I took with me called “Benjamin’s Elementary Primer of English Grammar”.
Not sure if still in print but well worth trying to find a copy IMHO.
Good luck....how do you say “Pics or GTF” in Swedish ?
Bilder eller gå till knulla (I think).

3 hours ago, Rugster said:

I’m using dualingo just now for Spanish. Always knew a little Spanish and always wanted to do more. I am finding dualingo the best thing I’ve tried in terms of it actually sticking in my head. Once I’ve completed it I’ll see what else there is to advance it, probably try listening to Spanish radio stations etc. 

Try this guy for Spanish. 

I've been learning for 2 years and he helped a lot.

When i first moved to The Netherlands i found watching the simpsons (or any show you're familiar with) and using the dutch subtitles as a guide was a really good way of working out the context of certain words and phrases.
I would also make a note of words and phrases i'd hear daily and then sit down once a week and work my way through the list with my dutch to english dictionary.
Didn't there used to be a similar thread a few years back?