The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

17 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Making relegation easier so you can be promoted back more readily isn’t that a compelling vision - SPFL sides aren’t that myopic.  And yes pretty sure over time an SPFL club will make the return journey and a former Tier 5 club will fall back to that level 

Almost certainly but in the short term it's only going to get harder as the Edinburgh Uni's and Gretna's of this world depart to be replaced by much better teams. That has a fair way yet to play out, and I'll stick my neck out by saying a former SPFL team will drop to tier 6 before one returns to tier 4  (in the LL).

Edited by Burnieman

13 hours ago, welshbairn said:

You have to wonder a demoted SPFL club will ever make the return journey, and whether the SPFL will ever realise that blocking automatic promotion from tier 5 actually makes it more difficult. 

Can't see it, to be honest, those relegated so far are the lowest supported/most isolated clubs, they haven't the financial clout to get back up, especially after the parachute payments go.

An 18 team League 2 with the bottom 2 relegated and the LL and HL champions promoted would help improve things, imo.

I got red dotted earlier on for suggesting that City would be spending a while in the Highland League, and I'm still of that opinion, although of all the ex SPFL sides I still think they are the most likely to return.

13 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Can't see it, to be honest, those relegated so far are the lowest supported/most isolated clubs, they haven't the financial clout to get back up, especially after the parachute payments go.

An 18 team League 2 with the bottom 2 relegated and the LL and HL champions promoted would help improve things, imo.

I got red dotted earlier on for suggesting that City would be spending a while in the Highland League, and I'm still of that opinion, although of all the ex SPFL sides I still think they are the most likely to return.

Agreed, I don't get why SPFL fans seem so keen on playing each other 4 times minimum a season. I get that the difference between promotion and demotion can be very tight and brings pressure to nearly every game, but it also means managers are terrified of trying out young players or experimenting with tactics, getting time for new systems to bed in.

50 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Agreed, I don't get why SPFL fans seem so keen on playing each other 4 times minimum a season. I get that the difference between promotion and demotion can be very tight and brings pressure to nearly every game, but it also means managers are terrified of trying out young players or experimenting with tactics, getting time for new systems to bed in.

Plainly because every game is meaningful and thus very competitive - as opposed to a League where many clubs have little to play for after the halfway mark 

4 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Plainly because every game is meaningful and thus very competitive - as opposed to a League where many clubs have little to play for after the halfway mark 

The 10 club league experiment has brainwashed people into thinking that only promotion and demotion matters, league position outside that and beating your rivals is irrelevant. 

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Nobody's keen on playing 4 times a season - it's just an established function of the league system for 30 years now. It isn't a major concern either way outside of the next reconstruction proposal being put forward and going nowhere. 

There's really no evidence to support the second part of that post. It's not as if the Highland or Lowland Leagues are hotbeds of tactical innovation and youth development because they have a larger league structure. I'm in favour of larger leagues in principle, but the idea that they'll have a significant effect on the quality of football is overstated. 

24 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The 10 club league experiment has brainwashed people into thinking that only promotion and demotion matters, league position outside that and beating your rivals is irrelevant. 

No it hasn't, you've set up a straw man argument here. 

31 minutes ago, C_titz said:

18 team leagues would make half the season absolutely boring for a lot of clubs. , attendances would drop. 

A comparison with the English pyramid would be interesting re league sizes, tier levels and  attendences. Unable to check it out at the moment. 

On 19/04/2024 at 20:01, Kev8122 said:

We certainly won't be able to maintain the current wage bill therefore I think that some of the experienced guys will have to go. We keep signing young players and then letting them go out on loan without giving them a proper run.

In my opinion we should have kept Chris Mudie and Spencer Moreland ( still a signed player).The loan players Strachan , Wright and Richardson have not lived up to expectations either. I just hope Sparky signs a new deal and I would also keep Cruicky. He gives his heart and soul for the club but has hardly played any minutes this season.

Interesting to read that Price stated after the game that the title was lost in the games against the Broch & Buckie. He claims that " the players were not strong enough physically or mentally and that our recruitment needs to be better next season".

I suggest that he addresses his own recruitment. team selections, tactics and motivational skills or better still - RESIGN.

4 minutes ago, Kev8122 said:

Interesting to read that Price stated after the game that the title was lost in the games against the Broch & Buckie. He claims that " the players were not strong enough physically or mentally and that our recruitment needs to be better next season".

I suggest that he addresses his own recruitment. team selections, tactics and motivational skills or better still - RESIGN.

Just the usual blame every one else but himself 

There's a simple way to reduce the number of meaningless games in bigger leagues; increase the number of relegation places at the bottom, and the number of promotion and play-off places at the top.

Not one that goes down well in boardrooms...

51 minutes ago, Kev8122 said:

Looks like he’s staying then,a lot of supporters will not be happy,is this board like the last one,everything being hush hush still no statement from them.

1 hour ago, citydiehard said:

Well the exodus begins,a Brechiner has refused a new deal which is not a surprise as he left Elgin City when Price was in charge.

Is Spark a local lad?

29 minutes ago, Strathman said:

Is Spark a local lad?

He has a share in a coffee business in Brechin. Not sure where he lives now but used to live near Edzell. He will get offers from SPFL clubs - maybe Forfar 

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Buckie's title win being partly down to beating a team 13-1 on aggregate in the final week of the season isn't really doing that argument very much good. That same team subsequently losing 11-0 on the final way on their way to conceding over 150 goals is also not a particularly good argument for this being a sensible league structure.

1 hour ago, Dav nan Gael said:

Hopefully Strathy Jags are relegated next season,they've become a new version of "Fort".

Have to disagree there, Strathspey Thistle are nothing like the monumental mess Fort William were in their final years in the Highland League. Getting Fraserburgh and Buckie twice each for their last four games when the championship was looking like coming down to goal difference was harsh in the extreme, especially after their manager had jumped ship and the word was about a whole new squad, board and management set up for next season. Results didn't go their way over the season but most clubs struggled to get the points off them. 

Edited by welshbairn

2 hours ago, citydiehard said:

Looks like he’s staying then,a lot of supporters will not be happy,is this board like the last one,everything being hush hush still no statement from them.

If he dose stay and players start leaving because of it I'll not be renewing my season ticket 

2 hours ago, Kev8122 said:

He has a share in a coffee business in Brechin. Not sure where he lives now but used to live near Edzell. He will get offers from SPFL clubs - maybe Forfar 

No thanks