The Brechin City Thread

Hedgecutter

22 hours ago, welshbairn said:

You have to wonder a demoted SPFL club will ever make the return journey, and whether the SPFL will ever realise that blocking automatic promotion from tier 5 actually makes it more difficult. 

How would it be less difficult? Only Brechin so far have managed to win their league after demotion. The LL teams haven't come close - for very good reasons.

And for automatic promotion to it you're asking for two relegations from the SPFL. In other words one fifth of the lowest division. No SPFL club is going to vote for a 20% chance of relegation.

16 hours ago, citydiehard said:

Well the exodus begins,a Brechiner has refused a new deal which is not a surprise as he left Elgin City when Price was in charge.

He didn’t leave Elgin because Price was there. He left because Brechin could offer a better deal financially and there was less travel so he could spend more time on his fledgling business.

2 hours ago, 1993 said:

He didn’t leave Elgin because Price was there. He left because Brechin could offer a better deal financially and there was less travel so he could spend more time on his fledgling business.

I heard his "new contract offer" was based upon accepting a pay cut. Sign of the times for us I believe.

7 minutes ago, Kev8122 said:

I heard his "new contract offer" was based upon accepting a pay cut. Sign of the times for us I believe.

This is what a feared were going to find it hard to attract players and challenge for the league 

25 minutes ago, Kev8122 said:

I heard there hasn't even been an offer yet. Well apart from the offer from Banks O' Dee 

14 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

I don't really give a f**k anymore as the fans opinion means absolutely f**k all.  

Well I guess we will find that out in the next few days, depending on whether they sack Price or not. The fans clearly let their thoughts known after the game on Saturday. 

2 hours ago, Kev8122 said:

Just shows they are just after the money we had,now that is gone the players will show no commitment to the club.

Still waiting on an announcement by the board(gestapo).

16 hours ago, rockson said:

How would it be less difficult? Only Brechin so far have managed to win their league after demotion. The LL teams haven't come close - for very good reasons.

And for automatic promotion to it you're asking for two relegations from the SPFL. In other words one fifth of the lowest division. No SPFL club is going to vote for a 20% chance of relegation.

There's a really simple and obvious solution for the "won't vote for 20% chance of relegation" excuse. The clubs play each other a boring 4 times each league season so 36 league games. Three Divisions of 10 teams is boring so change it to two Divs of 16 which allows for two additional (non B teams) clubs and 30 games per league season. If even more league games are wanted then go 2 Divs of 18 so 34 League matches. If existing SFL clubs are afraid of falling out of the league when there's two extra places (2x16 team Divs) or six extra places (2x18 team Divs) then maybe they should be relegated?

1 hour ago, citydiehard said:

Just shows they are just after the money we had,now that is gone the players will show no commitment to the club.

Still waiting on an announcement by the board(gestapo).

You said a couple of hours ago it was because of Price.🙄

59 minutes ago, Dev said:

There's a really simple and obvious solution for the "won't vote for 20% chance of relegation" excuse. The clubs play each other a boring 4 times each league season so 36 league games. Three Divisions of 10 teams is boring so change it to two Divs of 16 which allows for two additional (non B teams) clubs and 30 games per league season. If even more league games are wanted then go 2 Divs of 18 so 34 League matches. If existing SFL clubs are afraid of falling out of the league when there's two extra places (2x16 team Divs) or six extra places (2x18 team Divs) then maybe they should be relegated?

I personally don’t find it boring. I don’t manage many away games so am only seeing most teams twice a season and that is sometimes good to see the better teams. There was nothing boring about Div 2 this season and most teams had something to play for up to the last couple of weeks.

3 hours ago, SouthsideFC said:

I think 8th placed Nairn County would beg to differ.

https://x.com/NairnCounty/status/1779594760107270567

image.png.b4adba57f055bbc5c5c3abadc718f4a1.png

Fair enough to them. But clubs in an 18 team league 2 would definitely have a drop off on attendance . I for one now that we have nothing to play for in our final 2 games probably won’t attend as they are dead rubbers 

6 hours ago, Dev said:

With bigger lower divisions (those 2 or six teams extra) the SPFL sponsor money has to be spread more widely - that is to say more thinly. How likely is it the clubs will vote for that? And the threat of relegation hasn't gone away - 12.5 % or 11.1 %. At present it's a maximum of 10% what with the possibility of winning the play-off and avoiding it.

20 hours ago, rockson said:

With bigger lower divisions (those 2 or six teams extra) the SPFL sponsor money has to be spread more widely - that is to say more thinly. How likely is it the clubs will vote for that? And the threat of relegation hasn't gone away - 12.5 % or 11.1 %. At present it's a maximum of 10% what with the possibility of winning the play-off and avoiding it.

Every league should have at least 1 automatic relegation spot.

I’m on the side of automatic promotion from the HL/LL 

one bad season for a L2 club and that’s it game over at that level. Yes I know there’s the buffer of the playoff but even the highland league teams are struggling to come up due to the location of them I believe and not being able to attract the players a Ll club can. 

it’s absolutely mental that Brechin and if it ever came to it ourselves would have to play in the highland league