The official Boris pm cluster-fuck thread

pandarilla

5 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

So parliament suspended and the PM has been instructed to seek an extension to Brexit from the EU. PM says he would rather die in a ditch than do so.

He doesn't have a working majority in parliament and thus failed to get his snap election.

Where does he go from here? 

Die in a ditch hopefully, but not metaphorically.

8 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

There will be a court case where the government argue that dealing with foreign governments is an executive power and if Parliament has an issue with the government's power the mechanism they have to address that is a VONC. 

They have a point. Parliament leaving in place a government which clearly doesn't hold confidence is absurd. 

21 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

A yes Boris Johnson that noted anti capitalist.

f**k me HB

I didn't say he was an anti capitalist but clearly British capitalism wants to Remain. Boris might increase the rate of profit for elites but why take the risk of change when EU membership guaranteed everything they want?

Amber Rudd and Jeremy Hammond are the dull voices of corporate Britian. They speak for the banks, the finance industry, the housebuilders, agriculture, aerospace, the super markets and tech. It's clear that British capitalism is not backing Boris on this. 

13 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I didn't say he was an anti capitalist but clearly British capitalism wants to Remain. Boris might increase the rate of profit for elites but why take the risk of change when EU membership guaranteed everything they want?

Amber Rudd and Jeremy Hammond are the dull voices of corporate Britian. They speak for the banks, the finance industry, the housebuilders, agriculture, aerospace, the super markets and tech. It's clear that British capitalism is not backing Boris on this. 

To be fair, Boris has more right to control over this than an American computer hacker.

7 hours ago, Colkitto said:

So parliament suspended and the PM has been instructed to seek an extension to Brexit from the EU. PM says he would rather die in a ditch than do so.

He doesn't have a working majority in parliament and thus failed to get his snap election.

For what it's worth, the legislation gives Boris until the 19th October to return to the house with a deal (or try for a vote on no deal) so he's got more than a month to work with. Could be a fair amount that changes in that time period.

I genuinely think the plan was to just try and get an early election and then return with a majority then shitfest the original NI backstop proposal into law and I think that's probably what May thought she'd be able to do if she got a 100 seat majority and a secure five years. Boris obviously needed to look like he'd carry out his threats though to appeal to the electorate but genuinely thought Corbyn would let him off the hook and let him have his election before 31st and Labour would remain a shambles. As it turned out though, parliament weren't going to let him off the hook that easily.

For what it's worth, the legislation gives Boris until the 19th October to return to the house with a deal (or try for a vote on no deal) so he's got more than a month to work with. Could be a fair amount that changes in that time period.
I genuinely think the plan was to just try and get an early election and then return with a majority then shitfest the original NI backstop proposal into law and I think that's probably what May thought she'd be able to do if she got a 100 seat majority and a secure five years. Boris obviously needed to look like he'd carry out his threats though to appeal to the electorate but genuinely thought Corbyn would let him off the hook and let him have his election before 31st and Labour would remain a shambles. As it turned out though, parliament weren't going to let him off the hook that easily.

So if he can't get a deal it's also too late by that time to oust him with a VONC. He could just lock the doors and after 14 days say too late now.

1 minute ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
10 minutes ago, harry94 said:

So if he can't get a deal it's also too late by that time to oust him with a VONC. He could just lock the doors and after 14 days say too late now.

The courts would just order a civil servant to sign the letter to the EU instead. And if a VONC was followed immediately by a VOC in a caretaker potential PM, the Queen would have to appoint him/her straight away. I think.

The “border in the Irish Sea” option looks like a non-starter with the DUP and ERG opposed.

If it were somehow forced through I don't think there would be any electoral pact with Farage’s mob; that could be highly damaging for the Tories’ chance of getting a majority.

11 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The “border in the Irish Sea” option looks like a non-starter with the DUP and ERG opposed.

If it were somehow forced through I don't think there would be any electoral pact with Farage’s mob; that could be highly damaging for the Tories’ chance of getting a majority.

Yeah but surely the Conservative leadership will whip the ERG to vote with them? They'd be far too scared to be expelled from the party if they didn't.

27 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The border in the Irish Sea is about the only workable option and is also a bit of a gift for the Independence movement if the Bunfields get preferential treatment. Would also whip the Rangersy Britnat Yoons in to a glorious seethe.

7 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

The border in the Irish Sea is about the only workable option and is also a bit of a gift for the Independence movement if the Bunfields get preferential treatment. Would also whip the Rangersy Britnat Yoons in to a glorious seethe.

I don’t disagree but I don’t see it happening.  The only thing that would change my mind would be if the Brexit Party supported it and given the rabid Unionist element within there I doubt they would.

Johnson has to look at both the supposed merits of the deal and the impact on the subsequent GE.

I think there’s lots of people in the U.K. (particularly in Great Britain) who would be delighted with such a deal, but if it caused Farage to stand candidates against the Tories then potential votes lost for Johnson would be greater than potential votes won for him ‘solving’ Brexit.

Not considering basic practicalities regarding anything involving the Irish border seems to be a running theme with this government.

I do love the Antrim to Kintyre option though, the sort of thing that gets thought up by people who presume that all A roads are dual carriageways like SE England. 

"F*** the usual 2hr ferry, let's drive an extra hour beyond Larne to get to a 20 mile long bridge that rewards us with a 3.5 hr single carriageway drive to Glasgow that may or may not be blocked by landslides"

giphy.gif

FWIW:  It was funny when he got repeatedly asked when he last visited or crossed the Irish border as either PM, Foreign Secretary or even before that after he talked about it during his media briefing in Dublin the other day.  Completely dodged answering it every time.  

Edited by Hedgecutter

36 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Not considering basic practicalities regarding anything involving the Irish border seems to be a running theme with this government.

I do love the Antrim to Kintyre option though, the sort of thing that gets thought up by people who presume that all A roads are dual carriageways like SE England. 

"F*** the usual 2hr ferry, let's drive an extra hour beyond Larne to get to a 20 mile long bridge that rewards us with a 3.5 hr single carriageway drive to Glasgow that may or may not be blocked by landslides"

Reveal hidden contents

giphy.gif

FWIW:  It was funny when he got repeatedly asked when he last visited or crossed the Irish border as either PM, Foreign Secretary or even before that after he talked about it during his media briefing in Dublin the other day.  Completely dodged answering it every time.  

Hall Street in Campbeltown (where you come off the ferry) is dual carriageway. In addition, the A82 is dual carriageway after Balloch and theres at least 50 metres of dual carriageway around the church in Inveraray. 

It's only the other 115 miles that are single carriageway, much of it limited to 30 or 40 mph to pass through nearly every village on the way.

We should think ourselves lucky though. The road is only as good as it is to allow access to RAF Machrihanish. There's no way the US were going to transport missiles & other assorted nasties down single-track roads.

DISCLAIMER The US never kept anything dodgy at Machrihanish. The UK Governmant told us so. F*ck knows why there are still guards on the gate. 20-odd years after they left