The Big Relegation Thread

10 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I know Alan Main was highly unlikeable but did he do anything above and beyond to merit still being talked about?

He threw the game against Dundee It'd that relegated St Mirren, I fully believe that

33 minutes ago, Abstract said:

He threw the game against Dundee It'd that relegated St Mirren, I fully believe that

Yeah, this. For clarity, I don't blame him for our relegation. He's not that influential and I'm not a Hearts fan.

He's just a c**t.

11 hours ago, Radford said:

Yeah, Killie were the beneficiaries but it was, unsurprisingly, Rangers who didn't give a toss about sporting integrity when they played Mark Hateley at centre back against Killie.

A cup double would pale into insignificance compared to being able to repay that favour and cost that mob the title. Even better if Hateley was on Sportsound that day.

Some free kick though.

5 hours ago, Molotov said:

I’m hoping that David Martindale goes with some crazy selections with Livingston during the split just to liven up the seethe levels among the other clubs. 
Motherwell can oblige too once they are mathematically safe. 😂 

4 hours ago, LiviLion said:

We'll most likely be leaving some players out with a view to next season. Nicky Devlin, Jack Fitzwater, Andrew Shinnie, and Stephane Omeonga are all out of contract so will probably be relegated to the bench (Omeonga has already had that for a while, Fitzwater slowly phased out with Luiyi de Lucas coming in, Shinnie always been a fringe player anyway).

Nouble will likely still play as I think we're trying to sell him this summer, but wouldn't surprise me to see him coming off a bit earlier or coming on as a sub a couple times.

The difference in prize money for us is next to nothing as anything extra we'd get for finishing 7th instead of 10th is made up by staff/player bonuses, so our season is well and truly finished in every sense. Think Martindale said himself it's now about focusing on a new team and new tactics for next season so he may well be toying with different formations as well, but you can all rest easy with your sporting integrity; we've been handing out points for months anyway.

3 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Yep people expecting us to get wins here are a bit off. We’re going to be dropping starters all over the place.

This is a Livi team that’ll likely see us drop Devlin, Fitzwater, Nouble and more. It’ll also probably f**k up someone’s season too

Aye tbf to Martindale he does things like that when we're needing to win games too, like playing Marvin Bartley as a winger to nullify Rooney in the cup final, also plays players in several positions, defenders as midfielders and wingers, Penrice being the latest he tried something different with. Starting Guthrie up front against St Mirren and Motherwell wasn't very fair to Livingston, sporting integrity wise either, even though he is a striker.

3 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Am I right in thinking that with 8 games to go, Dundee United were marooned  at the bottom of the league, unable to buy a win? 

and now, are on an unlikely winning streak that looks like it may save them?

I think a fair bit of that was down to the generosity of the Dons for letting them have their manager.

4 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Am I right in thinking that with 8 games to go, Dundee United were marooned  at the bottom of the league, unable to buy a win? 

What a heartless thing to say. 

4 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Was Ann Budge... correct?

10 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Aye. And it's you fuckers fault for letting them have Goodwin 😉

On 24/04/2023 at 14:48, Coventry Saint said:

Seeing the fan of a team that employed Alan Main talking about sporting integrity here is fairly fucking delicious, by the way.

The one tiny silver lining of our dogshit performance/result at the weekend was that it helped to maintain St Johnstone's involvement at the wrong end. 

tapatalk_1619527598111.jpeg.041a7274f26a8b92ea33232e0a7d32d5.jpeg

21 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Aye tbf to Martindale he does things like that when we're needing to win games too, like playing Marvin Bartley as a winger to nullify Rooney in the cup final, also plays players in several positions, defenders as midfielders and wingers, Penrice being the latest he tried something different with. Starting Guthrie up front against St Mirren and Motherwell wasn't very fair to Livingston, sporting integrity wise either, even though he is a striker.

In fairness Bartley DID nullify Rooney in open play (he wasn't marking him at the corner) and Penrice set up Nouble's goal when he played on the right wing. The Bartley thing gets laughed at but was actually fairly effective for most of the game. 

1 hour ago, Cptn Hooch said:

In fairness Bartley DID nullify Rooney in open play (he wasn't marking him at the corner) and Penrice set up Nouble's goal when he played on the right wing. The Bartley thing gets laughed at but was actually fairly effective for most of the game. 

Thought Penrice played well yep, but Bartley being played on the wing to keep Rooney quiet was at the expense of Forrest being benched, and took away a big part of our attacking goal threat. Which happens a lot when Martindale starts looking at opposition goal threats and not playing ours. Keeping Anderson on the bench 2 games running being point in case too, playing Guthrie instead. Again Guthrie did an ok job, but with Anderson sitting on the bench there was nobody there for his knock ons.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

3 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Fairly effective for us.  Made the job easier for our centre mids and once we got ahead we never looked like losing that lead. Oh for the return of those days.

Screenshot_20230422_175734_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ec53ba47c5d2de8334a77d6808d6a8db.jpg

Head to heads going to be vital?

May 6

St Johnstone v Dundee United

May 13

Dundee United v Ross County

May 20

Kilmarnock v St Johnstone

May 24

Dundee United v Kilmarnock

Ross County v St Johnstone

May 28

Kilmarnock v Ross County

First game feels huge, whoever wins that will be really confident of safety.

United and Killie with 2 home games probably have the best run in? United win their first 2 games and they could be safe before Killie even play a relegation rival. 

County and St Johnstone with just 1 home game v direct rivals, so need to nail away form. From a Saints perspective, the back to back away games v Killie then County feel like theyll be decisive.

Edited by RandomGuy.