The Big Relegation Thread

14 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

It is going to take something dramatic for saints to be dragged into it, i think yesterdays result sees them safe. 

Aye. Realistically we only need 1 win from 4 to be completely safe IMO.

Difference in performances since sacking Davidson makes me think we'll manage it. Too much quality in that team to be playing as shite as we were so hopefully it now starts to show.

Livi weren't even playing well before we scored and were all over us possession and territory wise. We were just smashing long balls up the pitch that were just immediately coming back to us.

5 minutes ago, Comrie said:

Livi weren't even playing well before we scored and were all over us possession and territory wise. We were just smashing long balls up the pitch that were just immediately coming back to us.

I don’t know why Malky sets the team out to just launch it long every chance they get.  It pervaded the under 21s when he was in charge and still does.  We have a very decent creative player in Dhanda and we never utilise him.  Our few decent performances this year have come from dominating the ball in central midfield, not bypassing it. 

4 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

I don’t know why Malky sets the team out to just launch it long every chance they get.  It pervaded the under 21s when he was in charge and still does.  We have a very decent creative player in Dhanda and we never utilise him.  Our few decent performances this year have come from dominating the ball in central midfield, not bypassing it. 

We did it when we were at our worst, Killie spent 90 mins doing it yesterday - I think it's just low confidence players and managers wanting to play (in their minds) low risk football. 

10 hours ago, Quatermass said:

Notable standouts there are us and obviously Aberdeen. Tremendous turnarounds and no wonder they were the teams to confirm the interim managers. Wasn’t really paying attention to the top end of the table as much but for some reason Livi really shat the nest post World Cup.

We do it every year, we go on a brilliant run up to Christmas, then when we come back from the January break we shit the bed and limp across the line. We've done it three years in a row now.

Martindale also now saying he's going to be dropping some players for the Killie game :D 

On 06/05/2023 at 22:02, RandomGuy. said:

Aye the table after Hammells final games a great laugh considering youre now safe and 2pts behind Livingston...

Screenshot_20230506_220140_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6f03586bef7c50eb786a0156f7a9f5a7.jpg

Teams pts total since that table 9 & 10 games ago.

Aberdeen- 21pts

Motherwell- 20pts

Hibs- 13pts

St Mirren- 11pts

Dundee Utd- 11pts

St Johnstone- 9pts

Ross County- 9pts

Killie- 8pts

Livingston - 7pts

Hearts- 6pts

Livi & Hearts fallen off a cliff, Aberdeen and Motherwell hitting hyper drive.

On 07/05/2023 at 07:46, Handsome_Devil said:

One of the fascinating things about the split isn't only the six-point clashes but figuring out what you'll get from those with nothing to play for.

Livingston seem to have stopped completely weeks ago, who knows what we'll do now effectively safe etc.

I still think the fixtures give United an edge overall but it only takes one upset to tip the whole applecart.

Can only say it's fantastic viewing when you're not in the middle of it, I'm very much enjoying this position for a few months!

What's the chances of Kettlewell fielding his B team when we visit you on the 20th?  With him being a County legend it would be a very honourable thing to do.  Maybe have a word with him please.

2 hours ago, Pete the Jakey said:

What's the chances of Kettlewell fielding his B team when we visit you on the 20th?  With him being a County legend it would be a very honourable thing to do.  Maybe have a word with him please.

Saturday past was instructive as Killie had more to play for than us, same as County will - but there was no sign of us dropping off what we were doing previously - so I'd be surprised if we made huge changes or were in holiday mode (unless 40 points was our real target). On the other side, KVV is chasing his mad 30 goal total and he loves a goal against County, so...

5 minutes ago, Swello said:

Saturday past was instructive as Killie had more to play for than us, same as County will - but there was no sign of us dropping off what we were doing previously - so I'd be surprised if we made huge changes or were in holiday mode (unless 40 points was our real target). On the other side, KVV is chasing his mad 30 goal total and he loves a goal against County, so...

There is also an additional £300k difference in prize money for 7th v 8th. 

5 minutes ago, hk blues said:

There is also an additional £300k difference in prize money for 7th v 8th. 

Really?! Bloody hell, I knew it was a bit but that's huge.

I know the money has to be won for the good of next season but I miss the time when the end of season kickabouts saw plenty kids given their chance.

Though I guess throwing youngsters in beside KVV in his current crusade is hardly a pressure free situation!

6 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Really?! Bloody hell, I knew it was a bit but that's huge.

I know the money has to be won for the good of next season but I miss the time when the end of season kickabouts saw plenty kids given their chance.

Though I guess throwing youngsters in beside KVV in his current crusade is hardly a pressure free situation!

I was surprised too - the difference in the bottom 6 prize money is greatest between 7th and 8th for some reason.  Even 6th to 7th is only £200k.  

I don't think that's accurate. The difference between 6th and 7th is twice as big as the difference between 7th and 8th.

The 42 clubs in the SPFL get a split of the overall prize pot based on where they finish. The percentages of that prize pot for the Premiership are shown in this table, from p41 of the SPFL's Articles of Association. I think there is an adjustment to be made to that to account for VAR costs, but my understanding is that this cost is being shared out relative to the overall prize money of the 12 clubs.

Screenshot2023-05-09at12_15_41.thumb.png.8ef2414ed0da003cacafb5a6cae9158a.png

That doesn’t add to 100, presumably the parachute payment and some trickle down the leagues happens?

I think a little shaving at the top and spreading a little extra at the bottom wouldn’t go amiss.  The teams at the top generally have other larger revenue streams.

A different conversation.

The carving up of the prize money has been changed for the better. It used to be weighted even more to the benefit of the top two.

1st and 2nd got much the same, then there was a bigger gap to 3rd and the rest.

A real bonanza for whichever two random clubs tried hard enough to finish in the top two spots each year.

image.thumb.png.836bf62f93cb5f7cbc0fccb701930e0a.png

On 09/05/2023 at 19:17, craigkillie said:

I don't think that's accurate. The difference between 6th and 7th is twice as big as the difference between 7th and 8th.

The 42 clubs in the SPFL get a split of the overall prize pot based on where they finish. The percentages of that prize pot for the Premiership are shown in this table, from p41 of the SPFL's Articles of Association. I think there is an adjustment to be made to that to account for VAR costs, but my understanding is that this cost is being shared out relative to the overall prize money of the 12 clubs.

Screenshot2023-05-09at12_15_41.thumb.png.8ef2414ed0da003cacafb5a6cae9158a.png

Here's where I'm getting my numbers from -

https://www.totalsportal.com/football/scottish-premiership-prize-money/