The Big Relegation Thread

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

And then there were four...

Being safe with a few games to go and becoming spectators in the relegation battle was beyond any Motherwell supporter's wildest dreams in mid-feb - so today's win was sweet and Kettlewell (and whoever signed a functioning defence in January) deserves tons of credit.

On where we go from here - I'll be interested to see how Utd react to today's results - as it looked like they were gliding away from trouble and they're suddenly back in a very precarious position. In saying that - having seen them in consecutive home games - Utd look levels above Killie to me.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Being safe with a few games to go and becoming spectators in the relegation battle was beyond any Motherwell supporter's wildest dreams in mid-feb - so today's win was sweet and Kettlewell (and whoever signed a functioning defence in January) deserves tons of credit.

On where we go from here - I'll be interested to see how Utd react to today's results - as it looked like they were gliding away from trouble and they're suddenly back in a very precarious position. In saying that - having seen them in consecutive home games - Utd look levels above Killie to me.

I was convinced we'd do well for 11th but since our transformation my prediction has been Killie 12th, united in the playoffs.

It's really too close to call and will come down to fine margins but United, facing the other pair at home and being at FP when we're on the beach, really need to f**k it up from here to end day 38 in bother. 

Edited by Handsome_Devil

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Aye the table after Hammells final games a great laugh considering youre now safe and 2pts behind Livingston...

Screenshot_20230506_220140_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6f03586bef7c50eb786a0156f7a9f5a7.jpg

9 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

I thought we'd win today, which shows what I know. Huge pressure on next week's game, given Kilmarnock are very likely to beat Livingston 

One of the fascinating things about the split isn't only the six-point clashes but figuring out what you'll get from those with nothing to play for.

Livingston seem to have stopped completely weeks ago, who knows what we'll do now effectively safe etc.

I still think the fixtures give United an edge overall but it only takes one upset to tip the whole applecart.

Can only say it's fantastic viewing when you're not in the middle of it, I'm very much enjoying this position for a few months!

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

One of the fascinating things about the split isn't only the six-point clashes but figuring out what you'll get from those with nothing to play for.

Livingston seem to have stopped completely weeks ago, who knows what we'll do now effectively safe etc.

I still think the fixtures give United an edge overall but it only takes one upset to tip the whole applecart.

Can only say it's fantastic viewing when you're not in the middle of it, I'm very much enjoying this position for a few months!

Livingston have it in them to determine the whole outcome.   Or potentially, as looks likely based on yesterday, contribute absolutely nothing.

11 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye the table after Hammells final games a great laugh considering youre now safe and 2pts behind Livingston...

Screenshot_20230506_220140_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6f03586bef7c50eb786a0156f7a9f5a7.jpg

Notable standouts there are us and obviously Aberdeen. Tremendous turnarounds and no wonder they were the teams to confirm the interim managers. Wasn’t really paying attention to the top end of the table as much but for some reason Livi really shat the nest post World Cup.

Just watching the highlights of theSt Johnstone vs Dundee United game.  United’s keeper is comfortably the worst in the league, but I can’t help but feel that  the referee did United a favour by sending off Mulgrew. 

6 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Just watching the highlights of theSt Johnstone vs Dundee United game.  United’s keeper is comfortably the worst in the league, but I can’t help but feel that  the referee did United a favour by sending off Mulgrew. 

He also did County a massive favour  as he’ll be suspended for Saturday.

56 minutes ago, Quatermass said:

Notable standouts there are us and obviously Aberdeen. Tremendous turnarounds and no wonder they were the teams to confirm the interim managers. Wasn’t really paying attention to the top end of the table as much but for some reason Livi really shat the nest post World Cup.

Definitely.

In the 10 matches since that table above, Motherwell have 20 points from 10 games whilst Livingston have just 7 points from 10 games.

Aberdeen have 19 points from only 8 matches.

Just now, Pete the Jakey said:

I’d say he did us a disservice.  Every time Mulgrew plays,  he looks the second worst player on the pitch.  

45 minutes ago, Pete the Jakey said:

I wasn’t there but I gather White bullied Mulgrew rotten in the last fixture, so maybe it would be better having Mulgrew on the field. 

55 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Obviously i am only going on highlights etc, but mulgrew seemed to be at the heart of what was wrong with united defensively all season. For maybe the majority of the goals, he seemed to play a part in them. 

40 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

Obviously i am only going on highlights etc, but mulgrew seemed to be at the heart of what was wrong with united defensively all season. For maybe the majority of the goals, he seemed to play a part in them. 

Is Edwards the other guy that has been in the defence most of the season, when I have seen them he has been outstandingly poor.

It’s a tough one to call. United seemed to have had an upturn in form in general despite yesterday. County and killie seem to be able to pick up a result as well. It is going to take something dramatic for saints to be dragged into it, i think yesterdays result sees them safe. 

13 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

Yesterday's performance worried me a lot, it was as insipid a performance as we have seen since Liam Fox left. Play like that next week against Ross County and we are in a world of trouble. Again.

First goal is so important, County looked nervous as feck, so were their fans, you could feel it sitting in the stands, as soon as they scored everything changed, both on and off the pitch they became a lot more confident, then when the 2nd went in the place was buzzing. Prob the same for Utd, whoever goes behind will find the pressure affecting their play.