Voting Intentions

Suspect Device

General Election  

234 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I like the Greens but recently they’ve been annoying as f**k, calling for the gov to scrap plans to duel the A9 being one call that particularly bothered me. All for mitigating the effects of climate change and lowering carbon emissions but to make calls to scrap the duelling of one of the most dangerous roads in the country, which should have been duelled in the first place, is stupid.

Anyway, this latest move has just made me dislike them even more.

Agreed, like the greens myself but a duel carriageway for the most dangerous road in Scotland to the fastest growing city is a no brainer. 

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

I like the Greens but recently they’ve been annoying as f**k, calling for the gov to scrap plans to duel the A9 being one call that particularly bothered me. All for mitigating the effects of climate change and lowering carbon emissions but to make calls to scrap the duelling of one of the most dangerous roads in the country, which should have been duelled in the first place, is stupid.

This, in microcosm, is the conflict within green politics. Those that already have dual carriageways argue the obvious need to stop building them and encouraging more journeys. Those that don't have them obviously don't want to stop just yet. Those rich countries that have already benefited from industrialisation argue the obvious need to stop burning carbon. Those poor countries that never benefited from industrialisation obviously don't want to stop just yet. Needs big doses of cross-subsidisation and investment - which is not a big vote winner.

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

Duelling a dangerous road isn't a good idea...

On 01/11/2019 at 13:17, BawWatchin said:

That tactic didn't work last time and it won't work this time either. If the SNP don't step up on the independence front during the campaign, they'll just alienate even more people like they did in 2017.

Lets face it they've got nothing else to talk about anyway. They can't talk about their excellent record in education since they've presided over a period of decline in Scottish education, they can't talk about their excellent management of the Scottish NHS, and they certainly can't boast of a great record with any of the emergency services two out of three of them are being balloted for strike action currently. Also taboo will be talk of the minimum alcohol prices, the tartan premium on income tax and the new car park at work tax. In Glasgow they'll have a tough time talking about their record on ending poverty when their SNP Lord Provest has just resigned after buying a shitload of shoes at the expense of council tax payers there. 

All they've got in terms of ammo is to talk about Brexit and Scottish Independence - both issues that are polarising in Scotland. I think the SNP have also seriously over played their hand on what they think the number of Scots are who would rather stay in the EU, as opposed to the number how just want to see it settled. One thing we know for certain though is that regardless of what happens the SNP could never win a Westminster General Election. They are a wasted vote in that context. 

Edited by Malky3

34 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

Lets face it they've got nothing else to talk about anyway. They can't talk about their excellent record in education since they've presided over a period of decline in Scottish education, they can't talk about their excellent management of the Scottish NHS, and they certainly can't boast of a great record with any of the emergency services two out of three of them are being balloted for strike action currently. Also taboo will be talk of the minimum alcohol prices, the tartan premium on income tax and the new car park at work tax. In Glasgow they'll have a tough time talking about their record on ending poverty when their SNP Lord Provest has just resigned after buying a shitload of shoes at the expense of council tax payers there. 

All they've got in terms of ammo is to talk about Brexit and Scottish Independence - both issues that are polarising in Scotland. I think the SNP have also seriously over played their hand on what they think the number of Scots are who would rather stay in the EU, as opposed to the number how just want to see it settled. One thing we know for certain though is that regardless of what happens the SNP could never win a Westminster General Election. They are a wasted vote in that context. 

Nope.

I put LibDems since my postal vote is for the constituency with that p***k, Marcus Fysh, as MP.

No opportunity to vote for SNP. Maybe they could get votes in england  ( shame about the rugby, eh?) from those who wish to 'get rid of the Jocks'.

Edited by cyderspaceman

Weird how hysterical the SNPbadders are reacting to Councils in Scotland being permitted to raise revenue in the same way English Councils are in a measure to encourage people onto public transport and cycles instead of clogging up the roads. 

2 hours ago, Malky3 said:

What are the tories talking about other than Brexit?

They can't say anything positive about their record on the NHS, or the fire brigade, or education, or welfare, or wealth equality, or policing, or anything else for that matter.

They did try to pull a wee stunt in an NHS hospital (where people weren't allowed to ask any questions). But despite help from the BBC and Sky News, they still couldn't hide the fact that he was roundly booed out of the back of the building by nurses, doctors and patients alike.

It doesn't matter who Scotland votes for in any election. Only the party England votes for can win. So what you're effectively saying is that Scotland should just vote for whatever England wants to make it appear like a fair political system.

Edited by BawWatchin

3 hours ago, BawWatchin said:

What are the tories talking about other than Brexit?

They can't say anything positive about their record on the NHS, or the fire brigade, or education, or welfare, or wealth equality, or policing, or anything else for that matter.

They did try to pull a wee stunt in an NHS hospital (where people weren't allowed to ask any questions). But despite help from the BBC and Sky News, they still couldn't hide the fact that he was roundly booed out of the back of the building by nurses, doctors and patients alike.

It doesn't matter who Scotland votes for in any election. Only the party England votes for can win. So what you're effectively saying is that Scotland should just vote for whatever England wants to make it appear like a fair political system.

The Scottish Tories seem to just talk about Nicola Sturgeon and indyref2.

http://www.scottishconservatives.com/

It's very strange that they seem more obsessed with indyref2 than the SNP are. Every leaflet I've had mentions it. Doesn't mention anything that the Tories are actually for, just that they are against the SNP/Sturgeon and indyref2.

35 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

The Scottish Tories seem to just talk about Nicola Sturgeon and indyref2.

http://www.scottishconservatives.com/

It's very strange that they seem more obsessed with indyref2 than the SNP are. Every leaflet I've had mentions it. Doesn't mention anything that the Tories are actually for, just that they are against the SNP/Sturgeon and indyref2.

Of course. The Scottish branch of the UK Conservative Party will make absolutely zero mention of Brexit in this election. Just the usual "we're fed up of hearing about independence and referendums" garbage. While they mention it at every opportunity.

Edited by BawWatchin

37 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Doesn't mention anything that the Tories are actually for, just that they are against the SNP/Sturgeon and indyref2.

Tbf "Killing the poor, hating the gays and sending the Muslims/blacks back home" could be seen - in some quarters - as vote losers.

Aye, it's only in select constituencies that actual Tory beliefs can even be publicly aired.

Mind when David Cameron was trumpeting them as the party of the working-class? Just like the Khmer Rouge were concerned with the values of the intelligencia.

Sturgeon is absolutely bang on to go baws oot on independence in this campaign. It's already clear the unionists are going to stand aside as in 2017 and are only focused on how to stop the SNP. Brexit will barely register up here whether the SNP want to focus on it or not. It's being made into a  referendum. Best to just stroll it and crack on. 

3 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Was reading a story on marginals at the weekend. I didn't realise how slim the SNP majorities were in some seats. 4 out of the 10 most marginal seats are SNP held.

Hard to tell how it's going to go. 

Labour's vote up here did get a "surge" from the Corbyn effect back then, along with a fair amount of tactical voting. That's gone now and I suspect most voters who might have been enthused by Corbyn 2 years ago now see him as a dithering fool. 

The Tories will probably do better than many of us are expecting, and maybe hold onto 4-5 seats. Labour however are monumentally fucked. I'll be stunned if they even get 5 seats. The Lib Dems might pick up a couple beyond their usual Islands seats. I think Stephen Gethins is in danger in Fife for example. 

The factors in favour of a good SNP result are likely: 

• Labour's "Corbyn-bounce" from 2017 gone
  • The Tory success last time was very much based on Ruth Davidson. Their Scottish Leader now is a complete buffoon, and their PM is a complete buffoon. They will simply go down the "No to a 2nd Indy Ref" campaign route. 
  • Any time Europe is mentioned in a debate, whichever Tory is involved is going to made to look like a fucking idiot
  • The SNP's 2017 campaign was weak and pretty complacent imo, they won't make that mistake again. 

We'll neither see a repeat of the SNP's 2015 landslide, or 2017's SNP disappointment. I'd guestimate the SNP winning 49 seats.