General Election 2019 - AND IT’S LIVE!

Frank Grimes

X in the box for   

467 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not really a surprise, looking from the outside in, Scotland is a fairly racist place. There is a significant minority who revel in it, in various guises.
Re: The Soros cartoon. I had no idea he was Jewish but I subscribe to the view that financial institutions and those who represent them have too much influence over politics. Does this make me anti semitic?

Singling out Soros in particular as the bad billionaire is dodgy. Wanting to guillotine them all is perfectly legitimate politics.

Just now, NotThePars said:

Singling out Soros in particular as the bad billionaire is dodgy. Wanting to guillotine them all is perfectly legitimate politics.

I wouldn't go as far as putting them all against the wall, but there are a fair few I wouldn't cry over were that to happen.

6 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

There's a sizeable amount of people who'll say yes it does. They're disgenous p***ks though.

I'm kind of glad I read this thread and found out Soros was Jewish to be honest. I could easily have seen myself like a post along those lines without realising it was anti Semitic.

21 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Not really a surprise, looking from the outside in, Scotland is a fairly racist place. There is a significant minority who revel in it, in various guises.

Re: The Soros cartoon. I had no idea he was Jewish but I subscribe to the view that financial institutions and those who represent them have too much influence over politics. Does this make me anti semitic?

If you say they're run by a secret cabal of Jews headed by the Rothschilds, then yes.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If you say they're run by a secret cabal of Jews headed by the Rothschilds, then yes.

I don't believe that to be true, though I am fairly sure there are some unsavoury cross border alliances who push agendas that aren't always entirely obvious. Credit to the boy who runs the mob I work for I guess, he is open about his political affiliations.

1 hour ago, Mr Hahn said:

On this antisemitism dismissal:

1. Is there not a vetting process for candidates within the party whereby you weed out people who have made unacceptable comments in the past? I mean it was 2016(?) which is hardly that long ago, surely wouldn't have taken too much digging to find that. To lose the SNP candidate in one of our main target seats that we'd be in with a good chance of winning is a real body blow. It's a shame we can't still campaign vigorously for people to vote SNP with the promise that a new candidate would be put in place after the election but I realise the drawbacks of that.

2. Is there not scope for forgiveness here? I won't pretend to know much about the candidate but he seems to have apologised in a sincere and genuine manner. From my knowledge, and I'm prepared to be corrected on this, it's not like his social media feed is full of scrawls of antisemitic posts. From what I gather, he's made one ill thought out comment and posted an image which he didn't fully understand the connotations of (he claims, whether you trust him on that or not is your own judgement). Boris Johnson's comments mentioned earlier in the thread have never been apologised for and yet he holds the highest power in the land. We all say stupid things sometimes and if there is genuine remorse and a sincere apology, can we not just forgive and move on? If the folk of Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath don't vote for him because of it, that's their choice and would be understandable, but if he was deemed a good enough person to put forward as the SNP candidate in the first place, I don't have a problem for showing a bit of forgiveness for genuine remorse.

Why?  Because the whole issue has taken on a far greater importance to the extent than a fairly minor indicretion, whilst bad, has become inexcusable.

Of course Islamophobia (or not liking brown people) tacit and outright support for the shocking treatment of Palestinians by the state of Israel is seen as acceptable, and, often, in the case of the latter, laudable.

I was particularly dismayed a couple of nights ago to see Sturgeon, a politician I have huge admiration for, pushing the 'Corbyn is an anti-Semite' line.  Seems like the pro-Zionists have got just about everyone dancing to their tiune.

Entire election becoming 'which party is the most bigoted'?

Absolute farce.

On a side, without opining on the SNP guys tweet, I will never understand why people in that position share/retweet things without thinking about it. I reckon I'd be fucking terrified every time I posted to social media in a position like that.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Entire election becoming 'which party is the most bigoted'?

Absolute farce.

On a side, without opining on the SNP guys tweet, I will never understand why people in that position share/retweet things without thinking about it. I reckon I'd be fucking terrified every time I posted to social media in a position like that.

It's one of my real peeves about modern politics. No wonder all political discussion involving those in elected positions is reduced to shite soundbites and depressingly mundane and unenlightening debate.

Everything they say/do/retweet/sneeze on at any point in their past can be dug up and used to smear them, manipulate people against them and have them labelled as (insert here)phobe.

17 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

You couldn't tell a cartoon with an arm labelled with the Rothschilds was antisemitic? Come on to f**k.

I didn't even notice the arm was labelled with that to be honest!

Images of Jews secretly controlling the world, as string pullers or manipulators are standard anti-Semitic fare, going back hundreds of years.  Maybe the candidate who posted that wasn't aware of this - it is remarkable how many people can be engaged by politics and history and yet, when called out on liking images that play up to this history, somehow manage to have avoided realising this and finding it out.

We live in a world where conspiracism has become extremely important to a lot of people's worldviews, with the way that they think the world works.  If you keep pushing conspiracies and conspiracism you almost always end up with the Jews.  Anti-Semitism is the ulatimate conspiracy theory, that a small group (I think there are about 12 million Jews in the world) are somehow the most powerful and influential group and that they are unique in this power and that anything that goes against this is somehow part of the evil plan.

As well as that, I think that the taboo nature of anti-Semitism and Jew obsessiveness and hatred also fuels it.  It had a frisson for people, a sense of danger and excitement.  I have been reading JG Ballard recently and one of his novels has the line about middle class pepole - "I realised that these highly disciplined professionals had very strange dreams, fantasies filled with suppressed yearnings for violence and ugly narratives of anger and revenge"  People enjoy it.  You see people who have entirely normal jobs, very conventional lives but who slink online to feed the bear.  This applies to other hatreds as well - you can apply it to anti-immigrant sentiment.

As well as that, I think that the taboo nature of anti-Semitism and Jew obsessiveness and hatred also fuels it.  It had a frisson for people, a sense of danger and excitement.  I have been reading JG Ballard recently and one of his novels has the line about middle class pepole - "I realised that these highly disciplined professionals had very strange dreams, fantasies filled with suppressed yearnings for violence and ugly narratives of anger and revenge"  People enjoy it.  You see people who have entirely normal jobs, very conventional lives but who slink online to feed the bear.  This applies to other hatreds as well - you can apply it to anti-immigrant sentiment.

Sounds like High Rise. Great book, imo.

14 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Images of Jews secretly controlling the world, as string pullers or manipulators are standard anti-Semitic fare, going back hundreds of years.  Maybe the candidate who posted that wasn't aware of this - it is remarkable how many people can be engaged by politics and history and yet, when called out on liking images that play up to this history, somehow manage to have avoided realising this and finding it out.

We live in a world where conspiracism has become extremely important to a lot of people's worldviews, with the way that they think the world works.  If you keep pushing conspiracies and conspiracism you almost always end up with the Jews.  Anti-Semitism is the ulatimate conspiracy theory, that a small group (I think there are about 12 million Jews in the world) are somehow the most powerful and influential group and that they are unique in this power and that anything that goes against this is somehow part of the evil plan.

When I was younger I had a bit of an interest in the ‘US movie industry’.  This industry was (and possibly still is) dominated by people who are Jews.

Would it be anti-Semitic to talk about a US dominated movie industry?

3 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

Postal votes complete in the Monkman household. The other half doesn’t particularly care for politics and comes from a “staunch” family but she’s unknowingly voting for the only show in town.

IMG_4352.jpg

Amateur. 

I've turned 3 notorious non voters into Conservative and Unionist Votes. 

Keep up.