Clubs with no real rivals

nsr

I always think of Falkirk as having no real rivals, the 'Shire have slumped down and out the leagues, Stenhousemuir only cause a mild irritant to them now and again, and although Dunfermline are touted as rivals, I can't recall there being any animosity in the 'sixties or 'seventies. It appears to be a manufactured friction.

Interesting to look at top division New Year derbies back when there were big divisions... certain anomalies highlighted:

Celtic-Rangers, Queen's Park-Partick, Third Lanark-Clyde, Port Glasgow-Morton, Motherwell-Hamilton, Hearts-Hibs, Dundee-Aberdeen
Kilmarnock-St Mirren, Falkirk-Airdrie

Celtic-Rangers, Partick-Third Lanark, Airdrie-Albion Rovers, Motherwell-Hamilton, Hearts-Hibs, Dundee-Aberdeen
St Mirren-Kilmarnock, Morton-Clyde, Ayr-Dumbarton, Raith-Falkirk
(Clydebank-Dumbarton was played on Hogmanay and Queen's Park played Corinthians in a friendly :lol:)

Celtic-Rangers, Partick-Clyde, Motherwell-Hamilton, Hearts-Hibs, Dundee-Aberdeen
St Mirren-Kilmarnock, Ayr-Queen's Park, Airdrie-Falkirk, Cowdenbeath-Dundee Utd, St Johnstone-Morton

Hibs-Hearts, Alloa-Stenhousemuir, Dunfermline-Cowdenbeath, Raith-East Fife, Dundee-Dundee Utd, Arbroath-Aberdeen
Falkirk-St Johnstone, St Bernards-King's Park
Rangers-Celtic, Partick-Clyde, Queen's Park-Third Lanark, Airdrie-Albion Rovers, Motherwell-Hamilton
St Mirren-Kilmarnock, Ayr-Queen of the South, Dumbarton-Morton

Celtic-Rangers, Partick-Clyde, Falkirk-Stirling, Hibs-Hearts, East Fife-Raith, Dundee-Aberdeen
St Mirren-Motherwell, Third Lanark-Queen of the South

Celtic-Rangers, Partick-Clyde, Airdrie-Motherwell, Hibs-Hearts, Dunfermline-Raith, Dundee-Aberdeen
St Mirren-Kilmarnock, Ayr-Third Lanark, Stirling-Arbroath

Clyde-Celtic, Rangers-Partick, Airdrie-Motherwell, Dunfermline-Raith, Hibs-Hearts, Dundee-Aberdeen
Kilmarnock-St Mirren, Morton-Ayr, St Johnstone-Dundee Utd

Edited by HibeeJibee

3 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Yeh we've no real rivals.

Over time we've had some weak ribaldry with Meadowbank, Livingston, Edinburgh City and Gala.

Border TV once billed Berwick-Stranraer as "the Borders derby" :wacko:.

Excuse me? You literally mention us in one of your songs. 

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I always think of Falkirk as having no real rivals, the 'Shire have slumped down and out the leagues, Stenhousemuir only cause a mild irritant to them now and again, and although Dunfermline are touted as rivals, I can't recall there being any animosity in the 'sixties or 'seventies. It appears to be a manufactured friction.

Falkirk drive most of it and through being p***ks about things have escalated it. Personally I see Raith or Cowdenbeath as our rivals and was glad they managed to stay in the league system. The biggest ever Dunfermline crowd, in terms of pars support, at eep was against Raith for the championship decider. 

2 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Falkirk was my first thought too. It's all about the Binos for us. f**k the Stirling Albion.

Between that and the decades of underachievement, I presume that's the source of the famous Falkirk crowdwanking.

I know a lot of Motherwell fans and none of them give a flying f**k about Hamilton Accies. They view it more as a convenient away game than an actual rivalry.

Airdrie have ceased to be a thing that anyone ever bothers about, Albion Rovers won't cut it. Not much for Motherwell to bother about really.

Edited by JTS98

8 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Falkirk drive most of it and through being p***ks about things have escalated it. Personally I see Raith or Cowdenbeath as our rivals and was glad they managed to stay in the league system. The biggest ever Dunfermline crowd, in terms of pars support, at eep was against Raith for the championship decider. 

Pretty certain Dunfermline Athletic have had bigger supports before at East End in the 1960s...

Edited by Angusfifer

8 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Contempt, antipathy, derision and disdain are not the same as rivalry ;).

St Johnstone could be an example? Their rivals have bigger rivals.

There’s absolutely no doubt that Berwick snd Cowdenbeath are rivals. Not only has there been 30+ years of animosity off the field we have also had a lot of encounters on it. Obviously it depends on how you want to define “rivals” but, as someone with no geographical links to Fife since I was 6, I’d consider you bigger rivals than East Fife or the Pars.

10 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

although Dunfermline are touted as rivals, I can't recall there being any animosity in the 'sixties or 'seventies. It appears to be a manufactured friction.

When I grew up Falkirk were a bigger rivalry than Raith, although with most of the support now preferring the Raith games the Falkirk one is absolutely a rivalry. Certainly more dislike between the supports. 

St Johnstone and Cowdenbeath are a shout surely? 

1 hour ago, Angusfifer said:

Pretty certain Dunfermline Athletic have had bigger supports before at East End in the 1960s...

And the 1970s, 80s and 90s.

But I think he means since East End became all seated.

Some St Mirren fans seem to regard games against Kilmarnock as a derby, over games against Morton. I don’t get it, surely Killie’s rivals are Ayr United, and therefore there’s an Ayrshire derby in Killie v Ayr, and a Renfrewshire derby in St Mirren v Morton.
Answers on a postcard to....
In the 130 years since St. Mirren's first league match, Morton have been in the same division for less than a quarter of that time. They are an irrelevance.

Our rivals are Ross County but the atmosphere at the Elgin cup tie at Borough Briggs a few years ago was more tetchy than any I've experienced in Dingwall.  The police kept the fans seperate at full time, there were police with dogs surrounding the pitch, they were filming the fans.  It was like being at Leeds v Millwall, and despite all that the resepctive Young Teams still managed to get a bit of fisticuffs in.

Yeh we've no real rivals.

Over time we've had some weak ribaldry with Meadowbank, Livingston, Edinburgh City and Gala.

Border TV once billed Berwick-Stranraer as "the Borders derby" :wacko:.

Not to worry, you’ll get Tweedmouth soon enough.

11 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

St Johnstone could be an example? Their rivals have bigger rivals.

That's predominantly because we've been easily better than both for the best part of a decade.

Dundee fans in particular used to slaver all over us when we were both trapped in the second tier.