Dunfermline Athletic vs Ayr United

46 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

My instinct was the Geggan had to be sent off also from what a remember play had stopped when Moore flew into Scully he must have known he was offside forward players tend to watch the line. The whole situation was brought about due to the mad rule where you have to wait for the player to play the ball before giving offside - there is no way the keeper in the box is being penalised in today's game they can do what they like - not that I thought Scully came out in a dangerous fashion but Moore looked like he straightened his leg and went into Scully which is a red card. But from this ref I'm not surprised that he made mistakes he was a terrible official. The Alloa manager was going mental on sportsound - the refs at this level are honking almost as bad as the teams.

To be fair a Peter Grant team could win the Champions League final and he'd still find something to complain about. 

A whiny moaning faced cant of the highest order. 

2 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Think poet covers this pretty well tbf.

I don’t feel hard done by and I don’t think many others will either. We didn’t play well enough and our flaws are well discussed. There’s not anything for us to argue about, we agree that Devine and Ashcroft shouldn’t play together, we all agree that a new goalkeeper is a must, there’s only so many times these things can be said and we have been talking about it for the last 4 weeks, there’s just nothing new to discuss really.

I thought Devine and Ashcroft were fine today - they shouldn't play together but it wasn't a factor in today's game. I would need to see the goal again to see if Scully should have done better, my instinct was that he should have but our problems today were caused by playing totally the wrong tactics and forward players not linking up well and taking chances. The number of times they were stood all together was crazy there was so much space for Dow on the right or for Conroe to drive into but it didn't happen time after time.

11 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

I thought Devine and Ashcroft were fine today - they shouldn't play together but it wasn't a factor in today's game. I would need to see the goal again to see if Scully should have done better, my instinct was that he should have but our problems today were caused by playing totally the wrong tactics and forward players not linking up well and taking chances. The number of times they were stood all together was crazy there was so much space for Dow on the right or for Conroe to drive into but it didn't happen time after time.

After Ashcroft's once in a lifetime strike in the previous game against us, he reverted back to the mean today. Long aimless 2nd half diagonals from the halfway line to a disinterested front line and the pass to the right back which went straight out for a throw in. 

If you guys had kept faith with the formation of the first half I think you'd have caused more problems in the second half. 

The whole of the midfield seemed to drop out of the game as it went on. 

Plenty of quality in there to be fair but shelling it 50 yards and missing them out won't cut it at this level. 

Just now, BukyOHare said:

After Ashcroft's once in a lifetime strike in the previous game against us, he reverted back to the mean today. Long aimless 2nd half diagonals from the halfway line to a disinterested front line and the pass to the right back which went straight out for a throw in. 

If you guys had kept faith with the formation of the first half I think you'd have caused more problems in the second half. 

The whole of the midfield seemed to drop out of the game as it went on. 

Plenty of quality in there to be fair but shelling it 50 yards and missing them out won't cut it at this level. 

Crawford changed the tactics clearly because like I said in my first post we stopped doing all the right things in the second half and resorted to lumping the ball around which any defender at this level loves. Midfield was too far from the defence as per usual and wasn't disciplined enough to keep things solid in the middle of the park.

7 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

Crawford changed the tactics clearly because like I said in my first post we stopped doing all the right things in the second half and resorted to lumping the ball around which any defender at this level loves. Midfield was too far from the defence as per usual and wasn't disciplined enough to keep things solid in the middle of the park.

Totally agree though can't say that Paton or Turner really had much influence in the game at all. Thought they were in real need of taking it off the defenders and working it from there. Thankfully our midfield didn't allow that to happen. 

The midfield 3 of Doc, Kelly and Kerr really interchanged well throughout the game, at point in the 1st half, our Central defenders split wide and Kelly had dropped into the space they'd left to keep possession. 

Kerrball. 

That was a good three points given our recent slump. Even better that it was dug out by a decent team effort. It was good to see Kerr going round each of the players at full time and this will hopefully do their confidence a world of good.

I haven't seen Ayr for a few weeks but most of the problems out there didn't seem to be the manager's fault from what I saw. A failure to find an Ayr player countless times and a lack of movement in the final third should be basic skills. I do wonder why he's playing Moore ahead of Moffat, though, as Moore's link up play is pretty poor. I'm also not getting the hate for Houston. I thought he was decent when he first signed and I thought he was pretty steady when he came on.

As far as the game goes, I'm not sure I agree with those Pars fans that think they were miles ahead in the first half. The stats had us having far more of the ball although we were poor in the final third. Dunfermline were more direct but Doohan only had to make one save of note.

Second half, Dunfermline looked short of ideas and I thought we were relatively comfortable. We do try and play from the back a bit too much at times but Nisbet was well marshalled by our defence and Doohan was solid in everything he did.

I'll suspend judgement on the Geggan and Moore incidents until I see the highlights as we were so far away but in real time it looked like Geggan might have been a wee bit lucky but that Scully took Moore out.

2 minutes ago, edinburghhonestman said:

That was a good three points given our recent slump. Even better that it was dug out by a decent team effort. It was good to see Kerr going round each of the players at full time and this will hopefully do their confidence a world of good.

I haven't seen Ayr for a few weeks but most of the problems out there didn't seem to be the manager's fault from what I saw. A failure to find an Ayr player countless times and a lack of movement in the final third should be basic skills. I do wonder why he's playing Moore ahead of Moffat, though, as Moore's link up play is pretty poor. I'm also not getting the hate for Houston. I thought he was decent when he first signed and I thought he was pretty steady when he came on.

As far as the game goes, I'm not sure I agree with those Pars fans that think they were miles ahead in the first half. The stats had us having far more of the ball although we were poor in the final third. Dunfermline were more direct but Doohan only had to make one save of note.

Second half, Dunfermline looked short of ideas and I thought we were relatively comfortable. We do try and play from the back a bit too much at times but Nisbet was well marshalled by our defence and Doohan was solid in everything he did.

I'll suspend judgement on the Geggan and Moore incidents until I see the highlights as we were so far away but in real time it looked like Geggan might have been a wee bit lucky but that Scilly took Moore out.

The problem with Moffat is he seems to be blowing out his arse and missies too many big chances. Moore scores more often than Moffat, but doesn’t have the all round game Moffat does. For me, Moore’s best season was next to Preston, who had the all round game as a striker and they had a great partnership. 

On Houston, he’s not great postionally and can be caught out a lot. However his pace can save him a lot of the time. At this moment in time, Geggan at RB is probably the right decision to try and shore up the defence. 

Just now, callum-ayr said:

The problem with Moffat is he seems to be blowing out his arse and missies too many big chances. Moore scores more often than Moffat, but doesn’t have the all round game Moffat does. For me, Moore’s best season was next to Preston, who had the all round game as a striker and they had a great partnership and we need to find a partner like that in a 442 to get the best out of him. 

On Houston, he’s not great postionally and can be caught out a lot. However his pace can save him a lot of the time. At this moment in time, Geggan at RB is probably the right decision to try and shore up the defence. 

28 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

FC5A79D7-CADC-451C-8256-0DCDA11A66AC.gif.16d9f656081df3b03537b1c4ce48a571.gif

Not hurting at all :lol:

I was just kidding honestly, it just made me giggle. I wasn’t even at the game so have no idea how mean Ayr really were. 

In all honesty, I’d love it if the Pars were a tad tougher but instead we are soft as shite and if you take the lead against us then you’ll win 9 times out of 10.

We’ve been feeble for years and Crawford hasn’t improved us in his 12 months in charge.

It looks to me like Houston is being told to defend very narrow. Geggan does it too and it bugs the hell out of me. I think it concedes too much space to the opposition.

1 minute ago, callum-ayr said:

The problem with Moffat is he seems to be blowing out his arse and missies too many big chances. Moore scores more often than Moffat, but doesn’t have the all round game Moffat does. For me, Moore’s best season was next to Preston, who had the all round game as a striker and they had a great partnership. 

Watched him today and couldnt disagree more. He kept Kiltie in check today when he came on and I thought positionally looked very good. He's also got a bit of presence about him as well which doesn't go amiss at full back. 

Part of Geggans problem is he doesn't have that pace to get back and resorts to some wild and over zealous challenges. Some of his passing today was a bit wayward as well. 

I'm short, I'd go with Houston in the next few games. All about opinions though. 

1 minute ago, BukyOHare said:

Watched him today and couldnt disagree more. He kept Kiltie in check today when he came on and I thought positionally looked very good. He's also got a bit of presence about him as well which doesn't go amiss at full back. 

Part of Geggans problem is he doesn't have that pace to get back and resorts to some wild and over zealous challenges. Some of his passing today was a bit wayward as well. 

I'm short, I'd go with Houston in the next few games. All about opinions though. 

Might be being harsh on him, as I wasn’t there, but he’s maybe had 50 odd minutes to watch Kiltie and understand what he’s up against? Don’t get me wrong, I think he’s one to get signed up for next year if we can, and this season is a great learning curve for him. Needs to be more consistent with the 2nd half he’s had today then.

Might be being harsh on him, as I wasn’t there, but he’s maybe had 50 odd minutes to watch Kiltie and understand what he’s up against? Don’t get me wrong, I think he’s one to get signed up for next year if we can, and this season is a great learning curve for him. Needs to be more consistent with the 2nd half he’s had today then.
I'd agree. If he's being freed by Rangers I'd definitely sign him up. I think he'll keep improving.

Still the best game he had was against Thistle when he kept Zanatta in his back pocket and still managed to get up and set up a goal.

He’s not shown enough consistency in the defensive side since then. I’ve no complaints about him going forward but he needs to pick and choose when to go forward as he’s sometimes guilty of leaving too much space. Not unlike what Harvie did and he’s improved ten fold since last season.