Dunfermline Athletic vs Ayr United

A tactical masterclass by Kerr, let's stop trying to play football and shitfest our way to victory. When you're in a rut you need to go back to basics, we did that today defending in numbers. Once we scored it was pretty comfortable tbh.
I wish the Fifers would stop moaning about fouls. Every time their players go down they give it the dying fly when they are not diving. At one point for a Dunfermline throw Kiltie threw himself to the ground before the throw was even taken with no one near him. Embarassing.
Special mention to Stevie Bell who still has Nisbet in his pocket. 
Most pleasing.
Not moaning about fouls, but the lack of cards. Not for bad tackles particularly (although the Geggan one he was booked for was a shocker - I've seen red cards in rugby for that sort of horse collar throw) but for pulling back shirts (normally an automatic yellow), persistent fouling (Geggan again, which is why he was taken off before he was sent off) and the like. The Ayr players weren't slow in going down or staying down either, which is fair enough if the referee is going to allow that sort of thing.

4 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
25 minutes ago, Trogdor said:
A tactical masterclass by Kerr, let's stop trying to play football and shitfest our way to victory. When you're in a rut you need to go back to basics, we did that today defending in numbers. Once we scored it was pretty comfortable tbh.
I wish the Fifers would stop moaning about fouls. Every time their players go down they give it the dying fly when they are not diving. At one point for a Dunfermline throw Kiltie threw himself to the ground before the throw was even taken with no one near him. Embarassing.
Special mention to Stevie Bell who still has Nisbet in his pocket. 
Most pleasing.

Not moaning about fouls, but the lack of cards. Not for bad tackles particularly (although the Geggan one he was booked for was a shocker - I've seen red cards in rugby for that sort of horse collar throw) but for pulling back shirts (normally an automatic yellow), persistent fouling (Geggan again, which is why he was taken off before he was sent off) and the like. The Ayr players weren't slow in going down or staying down either, which is fair enough if the referee is going to allow that sort of thing.

get well hug GIF

Come here. 

10 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

It's nice to see that you didn't dispute the diving point. For me those are yellows all day long for simulation. How no Dunfermline player got booked for diving I'll never know - Thomson threw himself into one of our players and appealed for a penalty. Blatant yellow and Kiltie had a couple as well one I mentioned earlier.

In addition, I would also profer there is a difference between lying down after a foul to timewaste and lying down trying to get someone booked. 

I'll need to wait for the highlights for the Geggan one as I couldn't see it at all from the East stand. To think you used to hero worship Geggan for that stuff too.

I also need to see the Moore Scully incident again. From my vantage point (quite far away) it looked like Moore touched the ball and Scully took him out. Irrespective of the offside as the whistle hadn't gone, that is a booking all day long could even be a sending off actually. 

Frankly I found the referee's decisions bizarre throughout tbh. 

Also interesting to see a game with only one corner. I think that's a first for me.

We’ve not been streetwise enough in recent times so I’ve no complaints in us taking advantage of a ref that’s happy to keep cards in his pocket.
I've not been to too many games this season, but compared to what I did see at the start of the season and in highlights since, it did look like we were being more streetwise in general. Kerr was being interviewed on radio scotland and he made an excellent point; we can play all the fancy football we want but it's not going to count if we don't win. I'm happy to see us dig wins out, and look more defensively steady.

Despite a couple of wobbles, bell and muirhead looked fairly solid today and would have gone with either them or Harvie as MOTM. Bell certainly looked pumped with the win at full time.

8 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

We’ve not been streetwise enough in recent times so I’ve no complaints in us taking advantage of a ref that’s happy to keep cards in his pocket.

Streetwise is exactly what we were today. Defended well when we had to, took our chance and showed excellent "game management" when we had to. 

There's more than one way to win a game of football in this league, we can't always be the 1970 Brazil team. 

2 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Crawford says Moore was onside after watching it back.

Cochrane and McDonald look set to be recalled by Hearts.

Crawford also bemoans the fact Ethan Ross wasn’t match fit...because of course he had no choice but to play him.

Don't know what you thought but he started the game well but did drift out of it and he was very deep at times. He would have caused us far more problems if he'd got at Geggan more often. 

Kiltie's too good for the Championship and Nisbet's going home with Steven Bell. 😉

Listen the ref was as pedantic and inconsistent for both teams. The collision between Moore and Scully is caused by the stupid rule that says you let the play develop and then put the flag up. Moore was entitled to go for the ball, two players competing for the same ball nothing more imo. 
If the plays blown dead at the earliest opportunity then the collision doesn't happen. 

there’s letting play develop and letting a dangerous situation develop. It wasn’t like there was another Ayr player going towards the ball that was onside . A good referee would have stopped it as soon as it was clear that Moore was going to contest for the ball.

Not too far wrong here tbf, you played the referee like a fiddle and i’d be wanting my team to do the same and take advantage of that. Baring geggan and possibly Moore nothing was overly dirty and when you kept getting away with the gamesmanship there was absolutely no reason to stop.

It's nice to see that you didn't dispute the diving point. For me those are yellows all day long for simulation. How no Dunfermline player got booked for diving I'll never know - Thomson threw himself into one of our players and appealed for a penalty. Blatant yellow and Kiltie had a couple as well one I mentioned earlier.
In addition, I would also profer there is a difference between lying down after a foul to timewaste and lying down trying to get someone booked. 
I'll need to wait for the highlights for the Geggan one as I couldn't see it at all from the East stand. To think you used to hero worship Geggan for that stuff too.
I also need to see the Moore Scully incident again. From my vantage point (quite far away) it looked like Moore touched the ball and Scully took him out. Irrespective of the offside as the whistle hadn't gone, that is a booking all day long could even be a sending off actually. 
Frankly I found the referee's decisions bizarre throughout tbh. 
Also interesting to see a game with only one corner. I think that's a first for me.

Not one of our players would have been close to a card for diving, it’s bonkers to suggest that, only yer da who wants everything to return to the the 70s would think anyone would get done for diving.

Scully was never getting any action against him, why would he it was never dangerous what he did(unlike Moore)

fwiw Moore was never entitled to go in hard like that, he was offside had been flagged for offside and knew it but still chose to launch himself at scully, same wee coward he’s always been.

6 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

there’s letting play develop and letting a dangerous situation develop. It wasn’t like there was another Ayr player going towards the ball that was onside . A good referee would have stopped it as soon as it was clear that Moore was going to contest for the ball.

Not too far wrong here tbf, you played the referee like a fiddle and i’d be wanting my team to do the same and take advantage of that. Baring geggan and possibly Moore nothing was overly dirty and when you kept getting away with the gamesmanship there was absolutely no reason to stop.

Not one of our players would have been close to a card for diving, it’s bonkers to suggest that, only yer da who wants everything to return to the the 70s would think anyone would get done for diving.

Scully was never getting any action against him, why would he it was never dangerous what he did(unlike Moore)

fwiw Moore was never entitled to go in hard like that, he was offside had been flagged for offside and knew it but still chose to launch himself at scully, same wee coward he’s always been.

You okay m9?

Tears and snotters everywhere in your post.

It doesn't even warrant a serious response the incoherent ramblings of an inconsolable Fifer who can't take off the tinted specs. A wee shame.

Edited by Trogdor

What a disaster. Well on top again and then our midfield leave the entire right side of the pitch exposed simple ball in and a goal from what I'm sure was Ayrs first shot on target? We then stop doing all the right things we did in the opening period of pressing their defence, who shat the bed every time they were under pressure. Instead we just lumped the ball around which is bread and butter to any defender in this league. Zero off the ball movement huge gap between the defence and midfield, next to no one getting second balls. Utterly rank. Yes the referee was dire yes Moore should have been off, who flies in like that when they are clearly offside? But would we have been any better against 10 men, probably not. I don't think the boy Ross was very good he strangely kept running from the back post to the front post waiting for the cross to come. Crawford is a strange manager seems to lurch from crusing it to crisis seems to only manage in runs of good and bad form.

I've not heard his post match comments but if he played Ross because he was the only fit winger why not play Nesbit and McCann with Kiltie in behind? 

3 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

There wasn't a dive throughout that game, there's obviously some biased leanings in everyone's positing but that's quite incredible from Trogdor. 

Sorry but Thomson throwing himself into an Ayr defender and then to the ground and then appealing for a penalty is the very definition of simulation. An easy yellow card for a competent ref.

Just now, Trogdor said:

Sorry but Thomson throwing himself into an Ayr defender and then to the ground and then appealing for a penalty is the very definition of simulation. An easy yellow card for a competent ref.

With you struggling to see the Geggan from the east stand I'll be kind and just presume you have bad sight x

5 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

It was either a dive (more likely) or a penalty how the referee just played on was baffling. He was consistently inconsistent stopping the game for the ayr player who looked to be off the field and then waiting for the ayr keeper to throw the ball out before going over to see how the Dunfermline player was. Odd.

Just now, Adam101 said:

It was either a dive (more likely) or a penalty how the referee just played on was baffling. He was consistently inconsistent stopping the game for the ayr player who looked to be off the field and then waiting for the ayr keeper to throw the ball out before going over to see how the Dunfermline player was. Odd.

Totally agree! 

7 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

With you struggling to see the Geggan from the east stand I'll be kind and just presume you have bad sight x

In this instance, I think it's your eyes that are the problem. Try removing the tinted specs, I'll give my view on the Geggan incident once I see it back likewise Moore and Scully from what Kerr said Moore had a dead leg and stud marks if he touched the ball Scully has to go as the whistle hasn't gone. How Moore is meant to know he is offside I'm not so sure. You play to the whistle.