Your worst moment last decade following your club

Into every life a little rain must fall (Ella Fitzgerald, 1963)

For every yin there's a yan (Master Zhuang, Around 4th Century BC)

Everybody Hurts, sometimes (Stipe, 1992)

life's not all ha ha hee hee (Syall, 1999)

Where there's a best moment last decade following your club there must also be worst one (Me, just now)

And given that sharing traumatic experiences can help the healing process it's probably going to be cathartic to let this out.

From a Hearts perspective the worst moments were generally the milestones towards administration but most of you will follow clubs whose decade was less eventfull off the field

Getting papped out the cup by Albion Rovers was on paper the lowpoint I suppose - but I was far more annoyed by getting pumped by league 2 Banter Rangers in the LC when we were top of the league. Utterly shat it and it was the epitome of McCall's attitude to playing Rangers.

9-0 v Celtic, utterly shellshocked

League cup semi final v Celtic in 2011, 4-0 down after half an hour. Was living down South at the time and had travelled 8 hours on the train to get there. Given we'd been beaten 9-0 a couple of months earlier I'm not sure what I expected.

Long periods of the Craig Brown era, never been so bored watching us in all my life, scrapping our way to 9th every year.

Easy: 2010 League Cup Final. 

Whenever I think about it, my body kindly recreates the punch to the stomach I felt when Miller's goal went in.

I then had to drive back to Newcastle with my then girlfriend. She didn't fucking understand and kept trying to talk to me. We'd split up by the start of May 😂 (different reasons, but still, it felt symptomatic.)

Edited by Coventry Saint

Being relegated on penalties against Hamilton Accies takes some beating, particularly having held a relegation party at Tynecastle a month and a half earlier.

In terms of moments that hurt the most, losing to Falkirk in the 2015 Scottish semi final and Ross County in the 2016 LC final are right up there because of the context.

Genuinely thought we were cursed and destined to never win anything ever again.

57 minutes ago, Swello said:

Getting papped out the cup by Albion Rovers was on paper the lowpoint I suppose - but I was far more annoyed by getting pumped by league 2 Banter Rangers in the LC when we were top of the league. Utterly shat it and it was the epitome of McCall's attitude to playing Rangers.

Easily this.

Being papped out the cup to Albion Rovers, the Stjarnan debacle, getting reamed 7-0 live on national telly on the last day of the season at Parkhead, capitulating in the 7-1 at Ibrox, the 7-2 at Pittodrie and McGhee's headsgone, the 5-0 New Year game against Accies...all pretty, pretty shite but ultimately the sort of thing that you can kind of take on the chin and put down to a poor performance and simply not showing up.

McCall sat in front of the media with his side at the top of the league tugging his forelock and kowtowing to a new club playing in the Third Division who had up to that point drawn with Peterhead, Berwick Rangers, Annan Athletic and were beaten by Stirling Albion in their fixture after the cup tie...absolutely f**k that.

780589395_ScreenShot2020-01-02at10_35_32.png.f669ed8e0e872344941db0a6efd02b24.png

Edited by capt_oats

25 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

Being relegated on penalties against Hamilton Accies takes some beating, particularly having held a relegation party at Tynecastle a month and a half earlier.

In terms of moments that hurt the most, losing to Falkirk in the 2015 Scottish semi final and Ross County in the 2016 LC final are right up there because of the context.

Genuinely thought we were cursed and destined to never win anything ever again.

No place for the 2012 final? Shirley not.

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

No place for the 2012 final? Shirley not.

Fucking hell. :lol:

Really does show how successfully I've wiped that from my mind.

I'd still say getting relegated on penalties was worse.

Losing any cup final, let alone to your rivals and by that margin, is obviously horrendous, but in the aftermath you're left with runners up medals and no bragging rights.

Relegation was a much worse 'prize' by comparison.

1. Killie 0-2 Connah's Quay Nomads.

No contest. Going out of Europe to a bunch of clowns after all the work we had put into qualifying. Even worse because we had a fright away from home but turned it round to win. All we needed to do was draw or lose 1-0 at home. The performance wasn't even that bad - Greg Taylor missed two sitters and O'Donnell hit the post in the first half. The biggest problem was that we tried to win the game rather than just settling on the 0-0 that they'd come to play for.

2. Killie 2-4 Hibs (2013)

It is astonishing that we've now gone 22 years without a Scottish Cup semi final. This was our biggest chance - Hibs were on the slide and we were clearly a better team than them. We didn't turn up and went behind twice but managed to get it back to 2-2 with less than 20 minutes to go, only for clown car defending to give Leigh Griffiths two goals.

3. Killie 1-1 Aberdeen [2-3 pens] (2018)

Also a Scottish Cup quarter-final. We managed to salvage a draw up at Pittodrie and brought them back for a midweek replay in front of a big crowd. Was a fairly nervy game, but we finally went ahead in extra time thanks to Stephen O'Donnell running 90 yards from an Aberdeen corner to get on the end of a cross. It only lasted about 5 minutes before Aberdeen got a softish penalty and equalised. Near the end, Brophy had a goal disallowed for offside which looked very much on. Once it went to penalties the outcome was inevitable - we have the worst record in Scotland (W2 L11 now) and it showed.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Also a Scottish Cup quarter-final. We managed to salvage a draw up at Pittodrie and brought them back for a midweek replay in front of a big crowd. Was a fairly nervy game, but we finally went ahead in extra time thanks to Stephen O'Donnell running 90 yards from an Aberdeen corner to get on the end of a cross. It only lasted about 5 minutes before Aberdeen got a softish penalty and equalised. Near the end, Brophy had a goal disallowed for offside which looked very much on. Once it went to penalties the outcome was inevitable - we have the worst record in Scotland (W2 L11 now) and it showed.

The atmosphere was quite something that night.

Having spent seasons going to Killie and it being an absolute morgue and usually strolling to victory, this was the first time I really saw what Steve Clarke was doing with you guys.

Guest Moomintroll
1. Killie 0-2 Connah's Quay Nomads.

No contest. Going out of Europe to a bunch of clowns after all the work we had put into qualifying. Even worse because we had a fright away from home but turned it round to win. All we needed to do was draw or lose 1-0 at home. The performance wasn't even that bad - Greg Taylor missed two sitters and O'Donnell hit the post in the first half. The biggest problem was that we tried to win the game rather than just settling on the 0-0 that they'd come to play for.

2. Killie 2-4 Hibs (2013)

It is astonishing that we've now gone 22 years without a Scottish Cup semi final. This was our biggest chance - Hibs were on the slide and we were clearly a better team than them. We didn't turn up and went behind twice but managed to get it back to 2-2 with less than 20 minutes to go, only for clown car defending to give Leigh Griffiths two goals.

Yurp, as soon as I saw the thread title, the horror that was the CQN game came flooding back. As I live fairly close to there I have been to a few of their games this season & watching them I cannot get my head around how we managed to lose to them.

Probably the two league cup semi finals we've played at Tynecastle. We played well against Aberdeen but still managed to get humped 4-0, and the 2-1 defeat against Championship Hibs on their way to the final.

Minsk was a shitter as well - the dirtiest team I have ever seen in the flesh, they pinched a goal in normal time, took us to penalties and we bottled it from there, frankly.

This has been an unbelievably good decade for St Johnstone though. Nothing anywhere near rivalling Gretna day which was the absolute worst day of my football supporting life.

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

No words

Would be this or the Scottish Cup Semi defeat to Motherwell in 2011, at least Aberdeen were absolutely rampant at Tynecastle. Against Motherwell we just never got going and the game felt like it was over pretty early, from what I can remember. Sure Enckleman chucked one in, and we allowed Jamie Murphy to simply stroll to the edge of the box on his right foot and smash one in.

A shite day.

Wasn’t at the game but the night a couple of months ago we lost to Hearts on penalties in the League Cup.

Not simply because we got put out by a poor side having seemed to be fairly comfortable up to their late equaliser. Losing on penalties away to one of our main rivals isn’t really any disgrace.

What made it a low point for me was the fact that I wasn’t as bothered about the defeat as I should’ve been, as we already knew before the penalties that we’d be playing the Hvns in the semi if we got through, and almost certainly getting beat by them.  The reality of the Hvns being back and the Ugly Sisters domination being restored was and is thoroughly depressing

40 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Easily this.

Being papped out the cup to Albion Rovers, the Stjarnan debacle, getting reamed 7-0 live on national telly on the last day of the season at Parkhead, capitulating in the 7-1 at Ibrox, the 7-2 at Pittodrie and McGhee's headsgone, the 5-0 New Year game against Accies...all pretty, pretty shite but ultimately the sort of thing that you can kind of take on the chin and put down to a poor performance and simply not showing up.

McCall sat in front of the media with his side at the top of the league tugging his forelock and kowtowing to a new club playing in the Third Division who had up to that point drawn with Peterhead, Berwick Rangers, Annan Athletic and were beaten by Stirling Albion in their fixture after the cup tie...absolutely f**k that.

780589395_ScreenShot2020-01-02at10_35_32.png.f669ed8e0e872344941db0a6efd02b24.png

They'd also lost at home to third tier Queens in the Challenge Cup earlier that month.  Motherwell should have seen themselves as huge favourites.

The entirety of Owen Coyle's run as manager (bar the first game against Killie and a win against a shambolic Dundee side) was the stuff of nightmares.