St Mirren vs Motherwell

The_Craig

Some comments on St Mirren's newish stadium here, If that is the road we ever go down when and if we move from Fir Park then lets hope we don't have anything like that. The shallow rake of the stand meant that I had no idea what was happening at the other end, St Mirren hit the post but from where I was it could have been a save or a block. I was unaware of any hand balls until I saw the highlights. I  had no notion of how close O'Hara came to score in the second half.  I rarely go to away games now and if that is what is on offer at these new parks I don't see me increasing my attendance. I seem to remember going to Falkirk a few years ago and having a much better view from behind the goals because their stand was steeper. Yet they get criticised for not completing their park. Maybe two steep stands either side rather than four shallow stands is the way to go.  Viewing a game from behind the goal is not for me.

9 hours ago, neildrake said:

Some comments on St Mirren's newish stadium here, If that is the road we ever go down when and if we move from Fir Park then lets hope we don't have anything like that. The shallow rake of the stand meant that I had no idea what was happening at the other end, St Mirren hit the post but from where I was it could have been a save or a block. I was unaware of any hand balls until I saw the highlights. I  had no notion of how close O'Hara came to score in the second half.  I rarely go to away games now and if that is what is on offer at these new parks I don't see me increasing my attendance. I seem to remember going to Falkirk a few years ago and having a much better view from behind the goals because their stand was steeper. Yet they get criticised for not completing their park. Maybe two steep stands either side rather than four shallow stands is the way to go.  Viewing a game from behind the goal is not for me.

Hampden is shite if you are in the lower seats too. The sightlines at Hamilton are good because their stands are almost like NFL stands - built high from ground level. However, I hate that stadium. You never feel in their stands, you feel on them. You enter by going up an external stair, the catering is outside on ground level too. You are never in a structure, just perched on it. Two sides as well. Horrible, just my opinion. I have always enjoyed games at the Falkirk Stadium though. The away stand we get is excellent. The toilets and catering are actually covered, inside the stand. The other thing I like about Falkirk is that St Mirren have played there a lot, and we always come away talking about the game - not the surface. I have never had it properly explained to me as to why, but their pitch seems slick, plays much better than Hamilton, Killie, or Livvy. The surface looks a uniform colour, and just seems better.

I reckon our stadium is fine. Not going to set the pulse racing, but not getting a ton of negative feedback either. Mid-table respectability.... IMHO.

Edited by pozbaird

3 minutes ago, The_Craig said:

Tte perfect football stadium would be the slope and proximity to the pitch of Tynecastle with the capacity of St Mirren Park.

Maybe make a terrace behind the goals a la Westfalenstadion and you're laughing.

Love Street - showing the excellent Caledonia Road stand that away fans had. If only we could have re-developed Love Street to have four like it, tight to the pitch in a Tynecastle style.

8B586761-3BF3-4B73-83F0-DB00C0BFA484.jpeg

10 hours ago, neildrake said:

Unfortunately that is the outlook at most grounds for the Away support. Obviously if you are behind one goal then you are about as far away from the other goal as you can get. We scored two at Easter Road the other week and no-one around me knew who scored the second and I could not have given a detailed account for either goal in a crowded penalty box as far away in a stadium as it could be for the Away fans. I too have to watch highlights after a game to see what was happening in a crowded goalmouth. It is the nature of the beast.

28 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Love Street - showing the excellent Caledonia Road stand that away fans had. If only we could have re-developed Love Street to have four like it, tight to the pitch in a Tynecastle style.

Love Street was a cracking ground man. The away end was like a bloody cliff face. 

23 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I was a big fan of love street as well. I remember Saints players doing knee slides towards their noisy fans that seemed to gather near the halfway line for whatever reason.

Back in the day, there was a fence right down the middle of the North Bank, right where the middle logo on the roof is in my photo. To the left of the fence, the home support were located, the away support to the right. There were some tasty exchanges across that fence down the years. The North Bank was fcuked the day the seats went in. The Main Stand was a hundred years past its sell-by date, and the new Love Street end stand was a freezing cold wind tunnel. As much as I miss Love Street for the emotional ties, the away fans had by far, the best deal.

3 hours ago, pozbaird said:

The away end there was always magic although never understood why you'd to climb up to the top to come down, to go back up to leave, could you not have come in at the bottom and climbed up?!

Back in the day, there was a fence right down the middle of the North Bank, right where the middle logo on the roof is in my photo. To the left of the fence, the home support were located, the away support to the right. There were some tasty exchanges across that fence down the years. The North Bank was fcuked the day the seats went in. The Main Stand was a hundred years past its sell-by date, and the new Love Street end stand was a freezing cold wind tunnel. As much as I miss Love Street for the emotional ties, the away fans had by far, the best deal.
Ah, memories of a midweek game and an altercation between Stevie Kirk and Billy Abercrombie for which they both got sent off (allegations of spitting by Kirk). Abercrombie refused to leave so the ref sent him 4 times and he ended up with a 12 game ban. Helped liven up a fairly drab (1-1 draw (IIRC).

11 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

The away end there was always magic although never understood why you'd to climb up to the top to come down, to go back up to leave, could you not have come in at the bottom and climbed up?!

Underneath the stand there were 2 five a side pitches, gym, changing areas and an overflow hospitality area so that's probably why you entered to the side. 

I played 5s there loads, it was great as occasionally a player or manager was walking past and stood to watch. I once scored with a wee back flick when Tom Hendrie was watching. He never signed me unfortunately. 

Edited by Silvio

1 minute ago, Silvio said:

Underneath the stand there were 2 five a side pitches, gym, changing areas and an overflow hospitality area so that's probably why you entered to the side. 

I played 5s there loads, it was great as occasionally a player or manager was walking past and stood to watch. I once scored with a wee back flick when Tom Hendrie was watching. He never signed me unfortunately. 

Exactly the answer I wanted, tbh, cheers. Had assumed something similar, it just always felt a long way round to get to a seat!

47 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:
2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Ah, memories of a midweek game and an altercation between Stevie Kirk and Billy Abercrombie for which they both got sent off (allegations of spitting by Kirk). Abercrombie refused to leave so the ref sent him 4 times and he ended up with a 12 game ban. Helped liven up a fairly drab (1-1 draw (IIRC).

I remember as a young boy watching Kirk score 4 from the old covered terracing at Love St (unless I've totally Mandela'd it and it was at Fir Park)....

Love Street was a fantastic ground.

I mind I went to my first away game in the cup with my dad, my grandpa and my auld great grandpa. I thought the auld bugger was about to drop dead by the time he got to the top of the stairs.

Did the away end not get dismantled and sold to another team? I want to say Morton bought it, but I may be making it up...

Correct. M*rt*n bought it and it's been lying rotting on waste ground beside Cappielow for years.

Mugs.

Love Street was a fantastic ground.

I mind I went to my first away game in the cup with my dad, my grandpa and my auld great grandpa. I thought the auld bugger was about to drop dead by the time he got to the top of the stairs.

Did the away end not get dismantled and sold to another team? I want to say Morton bought it, but I may be making it up...