St Mirren vs Motherwell

The_Craig

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

Apparently, Tesco wanted to build only one stand, like the way the Falkirk Stadium started out. It was SG who wouldn’t have it, and dug his heels in for a ‘proper’ set-up, of four stands. So I was told anyway. Eleven years, eh? Where did the time go.

The main stand at Falkirk is pretty impressive but as they have found you then can’t find the money to complete all four stands.

32 minutes ago, Yorky said:

To be fair although it’s not the biggest stadium with no real stand out look about it it’s actually ok. Stewards were helpful, lots of parking at the stadium, easy to get to, and plenty of legroom when you are in.

I like it in general, it just doesn't have the mod cons that they might have had if they had been building it themselves rather than Tesco doing it as part of the deal.

1 hour ago, Yorky said:

Did we miss it yesterday, we arrived hoping to go for a drink within the stadium, steward said there was no bar for supporters. Quite surprised nothing was built into it as a new build.

There is a St Mirren Supporters bar (members) which is usually open to anyone after a game but members only before kick off.

Facilities for all supporters may be incorporated in an initiative to extend and develop the use use of the stadium under our new ownership next year.

Edited by NorthBank

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I came away from that a bit annoyed tbh. It was a pretty close game and we rode our luck a few times but I generally think that when you're 3rd in the league you should be able to see out a lead away to 10th place. Not to say St Mirren didn't play well but with a bit more composure from Long, Aarons or Hylton we should have killed the game before the equaliser.

I kind of felt the same. Was disappointed to lose the first goal as we had hit the post after 4 mins and had a penalty denied and one kicked off the line in the first half although both teams had some long range efforts on goal that barely troubled either keeper. We gave Motherwell a better game than they expected and have improved since the start of the season only losing 2 out of the last 11 and that was to the OF. We just need to stop drawing games.

We normally have a Home support of about 4,200 however yesterday the home support was less than 3K. There was a bigger crowd v Hamilton a few days before and Hamilton only brought around 200 with them.
Why the huge drop-off? No idea really. Several die-hards around me failed to turn up. Maybe the weather, maybe the cost  of 2 games a week at the moment but it was a poor turnout from us.
And once before we allowed opposition supporters into a section of the (non swearing) family stand but their behaviour was unacceptable causing a flood of complaints so the experiment has never been repeated.
You'd have been ok, Motherwell fans don't swear. [emoji6]

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

I like it in general, it just doesn't have the mod cons that they might have had if they had been building it themselves rather than Tesco doing it as part of the deal.

Without Tesco, we wouldn’t have built anything. Mod cons for us might have extended to stopping any more of the old Love Street main stand falling off, by Tommy Docherty the groundman being granted permission to buy a bag of nails from B&Q. 

Edited by pozbaird

As I said earlier, the stadium is over 11 years old now.

There have been a few changes since the original construction

• The small astro 5-a-side pitches behind the North Stand have been replaced by one large pitch inside the airdome.
  • the raised disabled section in the Main Stand
  • the fitting out of the 'void' in the Main Stand to host the 1877 Club.
Yeah, it was built to a fairly basic spec but GLS made sure it had small changes made to make it suitable for UEFA events such as the 5 flagpole requirement, an international standard sized pitch, 13 seats in the dugouts etc. The Tesco deal (and the smaller, more basic stadium) also allowed the building of the training facilities at Ralston.

Say what you like about the stadium but we went from being 2 million overdrawn to debt free with every creditor receiving every penny. 

We've got first class training facilities and make money every year. I used to sneer at McDiarmid and New Broomfiled when we had Love St, but I wouldn't go back now. It had had its day, and I believe the new stadium and possible partnership with Kibble will eventually lead to the regeneration of the area. That's what we should be here for.

And incidentally, I didn't miss the open air toilets of the north bank yesterday in that weather!

Decent draw but in all honesty once the small teams are out, the cup just becomes more games against the same teams.
Us playing each other 3 times in quick succession just sums it up.
The league needs expansion so we play teams in the league twice, just to kill the bloody Groundhog Day feeling.

1 hour ago, Silvio said:

Say what you like about the stadium but we went from being 2 million overdrawn to debt free with every creditor receiving every penny. 

We've got first class training facilities and make money every year. I used to sneer at McDiarmid and New Broomfiled when we had Love St, but I wouldn't go back now. It had had its day, and I believe the new stadium and possible partnership with Kibble will eventually lead to the regeneration of the area. That's what we should be here for.

And incidentally, I didn't miss the open air toilets of the north bank yesterday in that weather!

I missed Love Street when watching highlights of the Ayr United cup game... Somerset is great. A minging, rackety, old-school stadium with terraces and tin roofs. Clatty lavvies and fans moving from one end to the other to see the end their team is shooting into. Somerset Park should never be allowed to change. Should be preserved as a national minging treasure.

We should have had a penalty in the first half so to say you could have killed it is a bit of a leap. You score all your chances and we miss all ours?

I came away from that a bit annoyed tbh. It was a pretty close game and we rode our luck a few times but I generally think that when you're 3rd in the league you should be able to see out a lead away to 10th place. Not to say St Mirren didn't play well but with a bit more composure from Long, Aarons or Hylton we should have killed the game before the equaliser.

1 minute ago, BIG BEN said:

We should have had a penalty in the first half so to say you could have killed it is a bit of a leap. You score all your chances and we miss all ours?

Well aye I'm annoyed we didn't take our chances, I'm not really bothered how many St Mirren have.

Tesco wanted to build a 6,000 seater stadium ( 2 x 3000 stands opposite each other)which was the then minimum requirement for the spl. Stewart Gilmour asked the council to step in as this was not the original deal and the council told tesco they would not get permission for the new build they wanted unless they complied with the original deal

Apparently, Tesco wanted to build only one stand, like the way the Falkirk Stadium started out. It was SG who wouldn’t have it, and dug his heels in for a ‘proper’ set-up, of four stands. So I was told anyway. Eleven years, eh? Where did the time go.

Never been as cold as I was at a game in the near 35 years I’ve been going to the football. My bones were literally shaking.

Referee wasted the game just as much as the weather. St Mirren should have had a player sent off for that last man challenge but equally should have had a penalty after we handled the ball TWICE in the same passage of play.
Hopefully should have enough about us to win the replay at home.
Watt looked sharp when he came on but, understandably, he’s not quite in sync with other players yet. Like the look of Rolando, hopefully fitness will improve.