St Mirren vs Motherwell

The_Craig

It was a bit of a mixed bag that.

I thought as the game went on we looked likely to extend our lead, but in saying that I wouldn't argue that Saints didn't deserve a draw.

We're going to be properly sick of the sight of each other by the end of play next Tuesday. 

Btw - the pie and beans were great as usual. 

5 hours ago, Silvio said:

Announcer thanked the 100,581 Motherwell fans for travelling 🤣🤣🤣

(It was 1581)

Typical penny pinching from St. Mirren when they have to share the gate takings.

Mind this game?

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=2005&GameID=200509270

Yeah, the TF stand was sparse and the West had gaps but there was way more than the official attendance of 4400-odd.

Me and a mate were in the South Stand, it was absolutely sound. Couldn't bring myself to clap when they scored and some pretty hot takes from some, but no real difference to what you'd get at Fir Park. 

Edited by AndyRoss

Typical penny pinching from St. Mirren when they have to share the gate takings.
Mind this game?
http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=2005&GameID=200509270
Yeah, the TF stand was sparse and the West had gaps but there was way more than the official attendance of 4400-odd.
Looked fairly accurate to me. I was surprised Saints had less than 3000 there though (but not commenting too much- who knows how many we'll get to turn out for a midweek replay!).

Had a last min freebie in hospitality yesterday (after already buying my ticket) and thought it was a decent cup tie in lottery conditions, summed up nicely by Hladky taking two bye-kicks within 90 secs of one another in first half, first one flew a clean 80 yards up park and second one doubled back and came down 30 yards out.

Would certainly have felt hard done by if the game had finished 1-0 to Motherwell but similarly, the Well fans would likely had felt same if we'd nicked a winner, so although it doesn't benefit us with injuries mounting up massively, a draw was fair. 

Jakubiak looks like a player and was fully deserving of his goal. He got unlucky in first half with a snapshot straight at Motherwell keeper where he didn't have time to put any direction on it. Also, the lad Aarons for Motherwell is very tidy player indeed. He's really a good find for them. 

11 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Mind this game?

Looked about right to me. Given the talk in advance of 6000 plus you could see it was nowhere near that. Bit disappointing given we sold out before they even went on general sale  and could probably have sold another thousand. Lost money for both clubs.

To be fair you could have said the same about our game against Celtic on Wednesday. Putting visiting supporters into stands with the home support is a logistical nightmare and pisses off the home support which is why we decided to stop housing Old Firm fans in the Main Stand last season.

We had the strange situation a few seasons ago when we drew Hearts at home, made the away stand all-ticket and Hearts managed to sell their allocation. By the time the match was played we were in the middle of a spell of snowy weather with warnings not to travel and we had a dreadful support (not helped by the match being live on tv) whereas Hearts filled the away stand as they'd already bought their tickets.
Similarities yesterday as I'm not sure as many would have gone through with that weather forecast. At least we got a last minute winner against Hearts (somebody show Carl McHugh' s screamer please).

We normally have a Home support of about 4,200 however yesterday the home support was less than 3K. There was a bigger crowd v Hamilton a few days before and Hamilton only brought around 200 with them.

Why the huge drop-off? No idea really. Several die-hards around me failed to turn up. Maybe the weather, maybe the cost  of 2 games a week at the moment but it was a poor turnout from us.

And once before we allowed opposition supporters into a section of the (non swearing) family stand but their behaviour was unacceptable causing a flood of complaints so the experiment has never been repeated.

I came away from that a bit annoyed tbh. It was a pretty close game and we rode our luck a few times but I generally think that when you're 3rd in the league you should be able to see out a lead away to 10th place. Not to say St Mirren didn't play well but with a bit more composure from Long, Aarons or Hylton we should have killed the game before the equaliser.

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:

To be fair you could have said the same about our game against Celtic on Wednesday. Putting visiting supporters into stands with the home support is a logistical nightmare and pisses off the home support which is why we decided to stop housing Old Firm fans in the Main Stand last season.

We had the strange situation a few seasons ago when we drew Hearts at home, made the away stand all-ticket and Hearts managed to sell their allocation. By the time the match was played we were in the middle of a spell of snowy weather with warnings not to travel and we had a dreadful support (not helped by the match being live on tv) whereas Hearts filled the away stand as they'd already bought their tickets.
Similarities yesterday as I'm not sure as many would have gone through with that weather forecast. At least we got a last minute winner against Hearts (somebody show Carl McHugh' s screamer please).

Good post. As you said, your fans bought tickets long before they knew about the weather so are more likely to turn up. 

The home support was actually less than the last round against Broxburn and the weather would be the cause of that.

The 10 mins walk back to the pub made me wish I hasn't gone either.

All in all a decent game considering the weather with a draw being a fair result. 

27 minutes ago, Yorky said:

Did we miss it yesterday, we arrived hoping to go for a drink within the stadium, steward said there was no bar for supporters. Quite surprised nothing was built into it as a new build.

The stadium is now over 11 years old so hardly a new build. There is a bar within the Main Stand called The 1877 Club and it's members only before the game and usually open to all afterwards. I went straight back into town immediately after the game so don't know if the 1877 was open to all or not.

It was

The stadium is now over 11 years old so hardly a new build. There is a bar within the Main Stand called The 1877 Club and it's members only before the game and usually open to all afterwards. I went straight back into town immediately after the game so don't know if the 1877 was open to all or not.

57 minutes ago, Yorky said:

Did we miss it yesterday, we arrived hoping to go for a drink within the stadium, steward said there was no bar for supporters. Quite surprised nothing was built into it as a new build.

It was built as cheaply as possibly whilst still fulfilling the conditions of the deal with Tesco, so it doesn't have much more than the basics.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It was built as cheaply as possibly whilst still fulfilling the conditions of the deal with Tesco, so it doesn't have much more than the basics.

Apparently, Tesco wanted to build only one stand, like the way the Falkirk Stadium started out. It was SG who wouldn’t have it, and dug his heels in for a ‘proper’ set-up, of four stands. So I was told anyway. Eleven years, eh? Where did the time go.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

To be fair although it’s not the biggest stadium with no real stand out look about it it’s actually ok. Stewards were helpful, lots of parking at the stadium, easy to get to, and plenty of legroom when you are in.