Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

The lockdown is less than three weeks old.  Businesses that are going bust due to three weeks of inactivity must be in a perilous state to start with.

Many, and probably most, small business owners will have taken money out over the years, maybe they should try putting some of it back in.

Most will pile it in but it depends whereabouts their business is in the cycle. 

6 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Sooner or later this will percolate into votes

If there's one thing we've learned over the past decade, is that rational decision seldom factor in when it comes to choosing who to vote for. Not when we've had "VOTE LABOUR AND CORBYN WILL PERSONALLY MURDER YOUR DAUGHTER" for headlines for five years.

If anyone thinks this will genuinely lead to any kind of change they're deluded. Most of the political commentary I've seen on this is "well, imagine how bad it would be if Labour were in charge!".

8 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I have no idea what that means.

There will be businesses at different stages, if you're a small business in the middle of an expansion program this is going to blow you out of the water, every business isn't just ticking along at a constant rate, this will nail some of our strongest businesses, of that I've no doubt. 

2 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

There will be businesses at different stages, if you're a small business in the middle of an expansion program this is going to blow you out of the water, every business isn't just ticking along at a constant rate, this will nail some of our strongest businesses, of that I've no doubt. 

Mmmm...  Most businesses do tick along, what we’re talking about here is most businesses.

Will there be the odd casualty who are in an unusual situation?  Probably.  Will there be businesses who were struggling anyway and are pushed over the edge?  Very likely but if it wasn’t this that caused it it would have been something else.

11 minutes ago, keithgy said:

Most major companies are still trading online,2 of my daily collections that stopped 3 weeks ago are starting again on monday.

Companies down here are getting itchy also and planning to open back up 

Boris paid tribute to the two nurses who stood by his bed for 48 hours. One from New Zealand, the other from Portugal.
You couldn't give the b*****d a red neck with a blowtorch.
Aren't they supposed to be picking strawberries ?

6 minutes ago, AUFC90 said:
7 hours ago, Forest_Fifer said:
Boris paid tribute to the two nurses who stood by his bed for 48 hours. One from New Zealand, the other from Portugal.
You couldn't give the b*****d a red neck with a blowtorch.

Aren't they supposed to be picking strawberries ?

Not yet. 

34 minutes ago, Gaz said:

If there's one thing we've learned over the past decade, is that rational decision seldom factor in when it comes to choosing who to vote for. Not when we've had "VOTE LABOUR AND CORBYN WILL PERSONALLY MURDER YOUR DAUGHTER" for headlines for five years.

If anyone thinks this will genuinely lead to any kind of change they're deluded. Most of the political commentary I've seen on this is "well, imagine how bad it would be if Labour were in charge!".

The single greatest post I've seen was some guy a few days ago positing the fantastical scenario "imagine if Labour were in!!! Corbyn and Abbot (sic) would probably be asking Holby City for help 😂😂😂"

Most of the businesses going bust will be small businesses, of which the Tories don't give a shit about.
This just isn't true.

Their electoral success over the years has been built on those votes, and they've been excellent at gaining them (with the exception of the late 90s and 00s when Blair moved into their territory).

Small business owners quite often look up and want to be big business owners. The tories have always looked out for those folk, whilst sucking right up to the super rich behind closed doors.

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

This just isn't true.

Their electoral success over the years has been built on those votes, and they've been excellent at gaining them (with the exception of the late 90s and 00s when Blair moved into their territory).

Small business owners quite often look up and want to be big business owners. The tories have always looked out for those folk, whilst sucking right up to the super rich behind closed doors.

https://www.esquire.com/uk/latest-news/a21928762/king-of-diplomacy-boris-johnson-said-fk-business-in-response-to-brexit-fears/

The single greatest post I've seen was some guy a few days ago positing the fantastical scenario "imagine if Labour were in!!! Corbyn and Abbot (sic) would probably be asking Holby City for help [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]"
Unlike the current government of course..

BBC News - Coronavirus: Holby City donates ventilators to London Nightingale hospital
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52250706

9 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

The single greatest post I've seen was some guy a few days ago positing the fantastical scenario "imagine if Labour were in!!! Corbyn and Abbot (sic) would probably be asking Holby City for help 😂😂😂"

Did Holby City not donate their ventilators to the cause. 

7 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Unlike the current government of course..

BBC News - Coronavirus: Holby City donates ventilators to London Nightingale hospital
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52250706

1 minute ago, ayrmad said:

Did Holby City not donate their ventilators to the cause. 

That's why I've been laughing at it all day. Poor b*****d thought he could make an innocuous joke and our rapidly collapsing reality has decided to make him look a tit.

14 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

That's why I've been laughing at it all day. Poor b*****d thought he could make an innocuous joke and our rapidly collapsing reality has decided to make him look a tit.

It's actually pretty pathetic that the 5th largest economy in the world needs help from a TV soap. 

4 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

Wonder what became of that obscure story.

Because on average we have 66 people die on road accidents everyday (at the seen numbers only) and that never makes the news.  There is still more people dying on the roads here everyday as I type.

At present we have only officially  38 deaths of convid19 since our first case was reported on 15th Jan.  Since then we have had 5,874 deaths by road traffic accidents (only counts numbers if you are dead on the road, not if you die on the way to hospital or after).

I can see why MANY people here in Thailand are beginning or not even started to give a f**k about Covid19, it's a non story in this country for so many that are attending funerals everyday.

Guest JTS98
4 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

f**k me!

“Everyone is adhering to it,” said Shahed Gulam, out strolling with his partner and their two children, but as he said those words a runner trotted by barely a metre away." - Priceless

“There’s a bit of a blurred line with exercise and knowing how you’re supposed to implement it,” said Jonathan King, a construction project manager, who uses the park to walk and run. “ I don’t think you really know if you can slip past someone for a second or two. But to be honest, there’s no other way of doing it, otherwise people wouldn’t be moving.” - Fingers in ears lalalalala https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/video-shows-the-danger-of-walking-or-running-behind-someone-with-covid-19/09/04/

If people can't be trusted to do the right thing, then people shouldn't be doing it. As pointed out in that study, running itself is not dangerous on paper (can't run on paper m9), but the way people actually behave in reality makes it dangerous. It shouldn't be happening.

“I kind of get a little aggravated at people jogging past me,” said Thompson, who was fed up with runners infringing the two-metre rule. “If you’re jogging anyway, jog round me, don’t jog at me! These guys are really puffing out, which is just as bad as a cough or a sneeze in my mind.” - You're right. It is.

“Best to lead by example and avoid other people rather than shouting and telling them what they’re doing wrong,” he said. “No one likes to hear that.” - Fucking hell. Don't tell people they're putting lives at risk. It'll irritate them!

It is absolute lunacy that trips outside for 'exercise' are still being allowed. People will not/don't know how to/forget to follow the rules to keep it safe, and it'll cost lives. Exercise at home.

The world is fucked from BBC News -

China sees spike in numbers

China has reported its highest number of new daily cases in almost six weeks.

Of the 108 new cases on Sunday, 98 were imported – triggering fears that infected travellers could cause a second wave of the virus. The Chinese city of Wuhan – the epicentre of the virus – only earlier last week reopened after 11 weeks in lockdown.

The country also saw two deaths on Sunday, bringing the death toll to 3,341. Some 61 new asymptomatic cases – which China does not count as a confirmed case – were also recorded.