Coronavirus (COVID-19)

22 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

I read the book Spillover by David Quammen.  It was about diseases such as Ebola. 

At one point a virologist is as asked "do you ever worry that something will come along and wipe the entire population of the world?"

He calmly replies "No.  With any disease 10% of the population will simply be immune.  The population will thin but that will be it."

For example 10% of the population are immune to HIV/Aids.  Nobody will know that they are but they will be.

I expect the same will be true for this. 

Not sure if it is precisely 10% though.

I’d imagine that equally that figure could be 2% or 25%.

A tiny percentage of really young people seem to have caught COVID-19 and I’m wondering how much, if any, of this is due to natural immunity.

2 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

s-l400.jpg

You might be surprised how little that particular stretch of road has changed.

People like their holidays and might be willing to spend significantly more than they do at  present.

The problem with that is that if people decided foreign holidays are a bigger priority than, say, an extension that spells bad news for the domestic economy.

My three year old nephew looks like he has it. Been symptomatic for a few days and got tested over the weekend. Just waiting for test results but symptoms are very classic and his bitch maw has been told to presume that's what it is. Fingers crossed for the wee guy 🤞 

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

You might be surprised how little that particular stretch of road has changed.

People like their holidays and might be willing to spend significantly more than they do at  present.

The problem with that is that if people decided foreign holidays are a bigger priority than, say, an extension that spells bad news for the domestic economy.

I added a photo of my village, that's temple is only a few km from my house.

Were expecting the Chinese to start come back, that's the plan.  The only problem with the Chinese is they don't spend here when they come.  They book tours with Chinese companies, hotel that are owned by the Chinese, they only spend a little pocket money in 7/11 with their discount Chinese cards.  It will be a long time for Thailand to get back to where it was with the tourist industry 17% GDP.

3 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

I added a photo of my village, that's temple is only a few km from my house.

Were expecting the Chinese to start come back, that's the plan.  The only problem with the Chinese is they don't spend here when they come.  They book tours with Chinese companies, hotel that are owned by the Chinese, they only spend a little pocket money in 7/11 with their discount Chinese cards.  It will be a long time for Thailand to get back to where it was with the tourist industry 17% GDP.

5* resorts surrounded by barbed wire is the way to go. Holidaymakers rigorously tested before being accepted for travel. Workers forced to stay on complex, nobody in or out. Sounds lovely, and horrendously expensive.

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

5* resorts surrounded by barbed wire is the way to go. Holidaymakers rigorously tested before being accepted for travel. Workers forced to stay on complex, nobody in or out. Sounds lovely, and horrendously expensive.

They already have that all here, there is a place between Hua Hin and Cha Am that is just massive big hotels (and still building) which is just a village/town for Chinese tourists, they go through a gate and that's them for their entire holiday, only people they will see is other Chinese, which includeds the staff.   They also have their own beach.  I think the place holds around 30,000 people at the moment, but as I say this is still a work in progress, it's mental.

1 minute ago, SlipperyP said:

They already have that all here, there is a place between Hua Hin and Cha Am that is just massive big hotels (and still building) which is just a village/town for Chinese tourists, they go through a gate and that's them for their entire holiday, only people they will see is other Chinese, which includeds the staff.   They also have their own beach.  I think the place holds around 30,000 people at the moment, but as I say this is still a work in progress, it's mental.

What's the fucking point?

Though I suppose it's not different than Benidorm

2 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Bloody hell, 90 page backlog that I'm certainly not wading through.

Earlier someone posted about this -

1589438290690.png

Thought it was interesting to see who was organising it

I seen this last night, thought it better to ignore as the less exposure would keep it to the minority of loons. STV News twitter though had it up on their feed as an advert for the event encouraging picnics etc.. this was their tweet.  

‘Bring a picnic, some music and let’s have some fun and say yes to life’: A series of ‘peaceful mass gatherings’ have reportedly been lined up to take place across Scotland this weekend in protest of the coronavirus restrictions.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

I am Where does the prospect of no effective vaccine in the future leave us? The resistance to rolling lockdowns, which seems to be the only current idea will be enormous. What do we do now?

It's impossible to speculate on what will happen now, but even allowing for the current NRS numbers to almost double (which is incredibly pessimistic), Scotland would be looking to finish the year with around 60,800 total deaths, versus the 54,900 that would have been expected in a normal year.

The question then would be were the measures taken during the pandemic a proportionate response to an extra 16 deaths per day?

Edited by Todd_is_God

14 minutes ago, Turkmenbashi said:

What's the fucking point?

Though I suppose it's not different than Benidorm

Loads of people from here go on all inclusive holidays to identikit hotels that could be anywhere in the world, and never leave. It's the ones who pay double to go to one in Mexico rather than Spain who get me.

9 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

There's been at least half the UK population in genuine lockdown (maybe leaving the house twice a week to go to the shops and back) let's see what happens in the next couple of months as they come out of hibernation.

That's my fear.

One thing I'll be doing when I'm out and about on my wee mobility scooter is coughing and wiping my nose on my sleeve and shouting Garde Loo (Fr. "Garde L'eau" ).

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's the ones who pay double to go to one in Mexico rather than Spain who get me.

I don't know if you've ever been to an all inclusive resort in Mexico, but to compare what you get for your money there to Spain is nonsense

Just now, welshbairn said:

Loads of people from here go on all inclusive holidays to identikit hotels that could be anywhere in the world, and never leave. It's the ones who pay double to go to one in Mexico rather than Spain who get me.

Yes, however there is usually other nationalities or the staff are from that particular  country you are visiting.  This is a complete 1 nation only hotels/village. The only Thai person that they will meet during their stay will be the  immigration officer  at the airport.  The bus drivers who commute them to the complex are even Chinese.

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

I don't know if you've ever been to an all inclusive resort in Mexico, but to compare what you get for your money there to Spain is nonsense

Sounds like hell on earth, going all that way to be surrounded by Brits and Yanks. So no, but I have been to Guanajuato, Oaxaca and Mexico City.