Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

I agree with the rest of your post but re the bolded bit: Why not? That's exactly what happened, folk were discharged from hospital into care homes without being tested,covid-19 ran riot in many care homes, it was a disgrace what happened, a combination of private care homes (which I think is not the best way to go about care provision), lack of testing (in hopital/leaving hospital/in care home) and lack of PPE. And no lessons picked up from Exercise Cygnus or what happened elsewhere in the world/Europe. We had a two/three month advantage  over everyone else - imagine the catastrophe if we had have been first like Italy was.

Don't think we know yet whether it was kicking the bedblockers into care homes when they thought the hospitals could be about to be swamped with Covid patients, or visitors and staff allowed to come in and out of the care homes without PPE or proper procedures for far too long.

My Granny is in a care home in Easter Ross, they locked down to visitors mid March and so far have managed to keep the virus out. Albeit it’s not as prevalent in the Highlands.

16 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

There's a lot more you can do than simply rant in a virus thread on a football forum.

Join an organisation. Go to meetings (online ones for now, unfortunately). Volunteer. Get out there and promote whatever version of independence you believe in (the yes campaign is dominated by the snp but it's certainly not the only organisation looking for members).

But at the end of the day it's only the SNP that can deliver independence.

My idea is to vote SNP until we are independent then vote for the most left-leaning political party.

And of course, that party would have to stand in my part of Scotland so that I could vote for them.

15 minutes ago, virginton said:

Why is your all-encompassing comparison point 'Westminster' or 'England'? Why shouldn't Scotland be compared to New Zealand, or Slovakia, or Norway or just about every other small and developed country that hasn't made a rip-roaring c**t of it? Why does political affiliation to the cause of independence - a goal that I support - lead you to this sort of braying, bovine deference to the government of the day?

This is the sort of small-timer thinking that Scotland needs to thoroughly purge itself of if it wants to be both treated and governed like a self-respecting sovereign nation.

If you care to look back my posts you will see that I advocate that Scotland should take it slowly and see what other countries do then see if that could apply in Scotland.

Any reference I make to Westminster is because they hold the purse strings.

Don't you agree?

It's getting harder and harder to comprehend the rules when the anti racism protests are effectively being sanctioned when they were asked to move from George Square to Glasgow Green, but 20 players meeting up for a training session is a no go until you can fund regular testing for them all.

1 minute ago, Wee Willie said:

My idea is to vote SNP until we are independent then vote for the most left-leaning political party.

I've always thought it was a given that after independence, a left and right would evolve pdq.  Maybe even a centre as well.

I'm seeing a lot of chat on social media from folk criticising the BLM protests for contributing to a potential second wave. Strangely these folk were conspicious in their silence when thousands of folk went to the beach last weekend.

5 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

If you care to look back my posts you will see that I advocate that Scotland should take it slowly and see what other countries do then see if that could apply in Scotland.

Any reference I make to Westminster is because they hold the purse strings.

Don't you agree?

Well no, the idea that all Scotland has to do is 'take it slowly' is the sort of nonsense all along that has trashed the economy while also causing thousands of unnecessary deaths. We 'took it slowly' when deciding to close schools, enforce a lockdown and still haven't even got round to obliging people to wear facemasks - all of these decisions should have been made weeks (months in the case of masks) before Scotland finally got round to it, which is why Scotland's outcomes have been abysmal. And of course the best way of compounding this self-inflicted mess right now it to persist with this myth that it's really big and clever to view England as a 'guinea pig' for reintroducing freedoms that the SG is simply too shit-scared to grant to its own citizens.

1 hour ago, Wee Willie said:

But that's no an answer.

The question was that there was a 'reasoned middle ground' and I asked what it was.

For example - SNP say no to Trident in Scottish waters but unionists support it being in Scotland.

In your opinion what would be a 'reasonable middle ground' ?

Also the SNP are unhappy that Scotland has to pay a share of expensive English projects but unionists are happy for Scotland to pay.

In your opinion what would be a 'reasonable middle ground' ?

I am hoping that alta-pete and NotThe Pars explain their reasonable middle ground.

virginton you red-dotted this Why?

55 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

I agree with what you have written but you and I and everyone else on this forum are just bit players.

There is eff-all we can do to change the circumstances therefore I leave that to the Scottish government to make the decisions.

Strange that some others in Scotland would rather listen to Westminster.

6 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

I've always thought it was a given that after independence, a left and right would evolve pdq.  Maybe even a centre as well.

I would hope so but what will the policies of the Tory/Labour/LibDems be after independence?

26 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

agree with the rest of your post but re the bolded bit: Why not? That's exactly what happened, folk were discharged from hospital into care homes without being tested,covid-19 ran riot in many care homes, it was a disgrace what happened

Absolutely, but in a way you've really answered your own question. It was just a point about the choice of words.

RE: the demonstrations being sanctioned

Firstly it would be political suicide to ban them.

Secondly, the Travelling Tabby site (which is a fairly reliable resource) lists the number of confirmed infections currently outside of hospitals to be zero.

I'm not suggesting that there are zero infections outwith hospitals, but the number will be relatively low. The SG will be aware of this, and hoping that 1 day of demonstrations, with masks and social distancing where possible, will pass without much impact.

It may even be used internally as a controlled study ahead of any movement to phase 2.

Edited by Todd_is_God

16 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

I would hope so but what will the policies of the Tory/Labour/LibDems be after independence?

A: Because this isn't the Politics forum and so your waffle about nuclear weapons policy isn't even remotely relevant to the thread.

Well no, the idea that all Scotland has to do is 'take it slowly' is the sort of nonsense all along that has trashed the economy while also causing thousands of unnecessary deaths. We 'took it slowly' when deciding to close schools, enforce a lockdown and still haven't even got round to obliging people to wear facemasks - all of these decisions should have been made weeks (months in the case of masks) before Scotland finally got round to it, which is why Scotland's outcomes have been abysmal. And of course the best way of compounding this self-inflicted mess right now it to persist with this myth that it's really big and clever to view England as a 'guinea pig' for reintroducing freedoms that the SG is simply too shit-scared to grant to its own citizens.

I think the SG were caught in the headlights at the start of this. It’s great in hindsight to suggest what they should have done, but they would have been very conscious that had they pursued a different track from WM and it had turned to shit, then the strong position of the SNP in Scotland that has been built up over many years could have been trashed

Had they gone a different way and things turned out better than they have, then that wouldn’t necessarily have made their position that much stronger. The Wee Nippy brigade would still be the same proportion of the electorate

So as long as they didn’t make a bigger c**t of it than WM then nothing is lost

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

I'm seeing a lot of chat on social media from folk criticising the BLM protests for contributing to a potential second wave. Strangely these folk were conspicious in their silence when thousands of folk went to the beach last weekend.

Come on. There’ll be plenty of hypocrites as you say but it’s also a perfectly valid viewpoint to think that large crowd gatherings just now are a monumentally bad idea, regardless of how much “social distancing” the organisers claim to be implementing. Further to risking passing on the virus it’s also taking up police and paramedic time at a time when they could do without it.

2 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Come on. There’ll be plenty of hypocrites as you say but it’s also a perfectly valid viewpoint to think that large crowd gatherings just now are a monumentally bad idea, regardless of how much “social distancing” the organisers claim to be implementing. Further to risking passing on the virus it’s also taking up police and paramedic time at a time when they could do without it.

Er... that's precisely my point. A lot of the folk clutching their pearls about how monumentally bad an idea protesting is were strangely silent at how monumentally bad an idea going to the beach was.

Today is the first day since 31st March where 7 day average deaths were in single figures (9)
Further good news but it's absorption a secondary factor now. It's all about the new cases, and whatever the f**k the r is doing.

We have to give the test and protect system a chance to get any minor surge under control. That's going to be a big factor. Infections will rise (hopefully localised), and we'll see how the system works.

I don't want to see folk putting pressure on to go back into lockdown at the first sign of a rise. Our authorities need to find a way to manage this virus.

2 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Er... that's precisely my point. A lot of the folk clutching their pearls about how monumentally bad an idea protesting is were strangely silent at how monumentally bad an idea going to the beach was.

Yes, and there’s also a lot of folk who think both are a bad idea. There was plenty of uproar last weekend about all the morons gathering in public.

Your posts on the other thread give the impression that you’re absolutely fine with people gathering for these protests.

4 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Further good news but it's absorption a secondary factor now. It's all about the new cases, and whatever the f**k the r is doing.

True. Excluding those 40 historic cases, for infections that figure is now 26, a 53% decrease on last Saturday

https://www.travellingtabby.com/scotland-coronavirus-tracker/

44 minutes ago, Mr Tourette said:

I think the SG were caught in the headlights at the start of this. It’s great in hindsight to suggest what they should have done, but they would have been very conscious that had they pursued a different track from WM and it had turned to shit, then the strong position of the SNP in Scotland that has been built up over many years could have been trashed

Had they gone a different way and things turned out better than they have, then that wouldn’t necessarily have made their position that much stronger. The Wee Nippy brigade would still be the same proportion of the electorate

So as long as they didn’t make a bigger c**t of it than WM then nothing is lost

Other than 4000 lives and counting as well as a decade's worth of lost prosperity paying for this shite.