Coronavirus (COVID-19)

19 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

It falls into the bracket of only that low because the figures aren’t properly recorded at the weekend. It being used as a positive figure without that sort of clarification is at best misguided and at worst deceptive.

You and I both know that the figures released daily are too low at weekends, and too high most weekdays.

You and I also know that the day v day numbers are falling each week.

It's only deceptive if you don't know that.

TBF any suggestions I've seen about cancelling the exams next year is more to do with course content. The Higher English exam for eg requires you to be able to write an essay in 45 minutes. It's a difficult skill and requires a lot of focus throughout the year - a not insignificant percentage of teaching time goes on this. Teachers really need to have a good idea ASAP if there is going to be an exam or not, to know whether to do stuff like this, or "proper" teaching. 

Year plans are made now and teaching time allocated accordingly. It's not the kind of thing you can just revisit in December depending on what the R rate is

It will vary from course to course - in my own subject area of Business Studies the big concern is in Admin & IT - practical skills are a large part of the courses for Higher (58% of the marks) and National 5 (around 85% of the marks) - and pupils need a lot of support to not only learn the skills but consolidate and problem solve with those skills. That's difficult on a blended timetable - you can't just set IT work to be done remotely because a lot of pupils don't have consistent computer access - they are sharing a computer with siblings or don't even have a PC. I know the Scottish Government has set aside additional monies to cover computer provision but I don't think it is anywhere near enough.

We've looked at our courses and are trying to slim down so the pupils cover the essential content but there is only so much you can do.

I don't want exams cancelled or a move to more internal assessments - maybe putting exams and assignment dates back would help - even a few weeks would make a big difference. Even without Covid-19 there was a huge pressure this year in our Admin & IT courses because SQA published assignments so late - the Higher assignment was only issued with 12 days of the term left - in the middle of March. National 5 was not much better - issued 3 weeks before the pick up date - infuriating as my pupils could have sat it at the start of November - they then had to waste time recapping skills they had not covered in almost 4 months. We would like to know well in advance the timescales - we did not know our assignment publication dates until the end of January this year - utterly ridiculous if you are trying to plan a course.

I said on here a wee while back that I'm lucky enough to teach in a school where the kids have engaged exceptionally well with online learning. We are actually ahead of where we would be at this stage normally because we taught through what would normally have been exam leave. There's going to be a few pupils who need to do a serious catch-up but that's one or two per class.

As you rightly say, the SQA are by an absolute mile the biggest obstacle to me doing my job correctly, pre-Covid and now. Their inability to make decisions, and then communicate those decisions, is disgraceful. 

One example where we'll have serious issues is orchestrating 20-30 AH physics projects, each of which involves 2-4 experimental procedures. It's a tough enough task normally (and usually involves a day of set-up during the October holiday) but this year presumably pupils won't be able to complete work outside of class time, or work in small groups given the social distancing restrictions. With Chemistry and Biology also using the same facilities at different times of the year, it would be good to know now whether we need to proceed with those projects, as it'd need to start in August.

30 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

You and I both know that the figures released daily are too low at weekends, and too high most weekdays.

You and I also know that the day v day numbers are falling each week.

It's only deceptive if you don't know that.

So every person reading his twitter account knows that as well? I’m sure plenty of people whose interest it is to make light of the governments failings will be more than keen to not make that qualification either.

Been up all night shitting myself senseless,  feeling absolutely roasting and flu-like. Feel unbelievably shite.

Tried to book a home test as I’m not keen on getting behind a wheel in my current state but it said they couldn’t confirm my identity so have had to book a test at the airport.

Don't know if this has already been posted, but there's a more detailed breakdown of deaths by age group in Scotland here.

We already knew there was a huge disparity between age groups, but it still doesn't seem to have any impact on plans or policies. 

https://twitter.com/DavidNFBell/status/1272172129056968706?s=20

2 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Been up all night shitting myself senseless,  feeling absolutely roasting and flu-like. Feel unbelievably shite.

Tried to book a home test as I’m not keen on getting behind a wheel in my current state but it said they couldn’t confirm my identity so have had to book a test at the airport.

Get to your work, it's not the bad covid any more. @Thereisalight..said so!

24 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

https://www.today.com/health/man-needs-life-saving-double-lung-transplant-after-getting-flu-t169952

Whilst that is an utterly shite definition of 'recovered' it isn't unique to covid-19

Posts like this are interesting as you don't often hear about this stuff but...

Without further information about how often this happens it is highlighting a rare example of a terrible outcome to scare people.

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Goodnight sweet prince x

Someone at one of the Melbourne BLM protests has just tested postive for Covid so this could get interesting in Victoria, although they said she was wearing PPE so was unlikely to have spread it. Let's see. 

1 hour ago, bendan said:

Don't know if this has already been posted, but there's a more detailed breakdown of deaths by age group in Scotland here.

We already knew there was a huge disparity between age groups, but it still doesn't seem to have any impact on plans or policies. 

https://twitter.com/DavidNFBell/status/1272172129056968706?s=20

What would perhaps be interesting alongside this is a breakdown of hospital and ICU admissions by age.

15 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

https://www.today.com/health/man-needs-life-saving-double-lung-transplant-after-getting-flu-t169952

Whilst that is an utterly shite definition of 'recovered' it isn't unique to covid-19

Without further information about how often this happens it is highlighting a rare example of a terrible outcome to scare people.

Good. People should be fucking scared. Over 60,000 dead, god knows how many left damaged for life. Might stop people going to raves or protest marches or whining on about wanting to go to football matches.