Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

It’s almost as if the scientists have been briefed on a party line by an unelected bald man.

Well exactly - and they were trying, for a while at least, to blame the scientists. Problem is scientists are there to advise. If they were the ones making the decisions then fine, but they're not. They advise, and the people elected to make the decisions choose which advice to go with and then make the decisions (for which they are responsible) we go with. 

If they have been given shit science, they are responsible for not choosing better scientists. It is good that scientists give differing advice because I don't think there's one specific correct answer. The talent in being a leader is using all that information alongside a range of advisors to come up with a solution. Not treating one bald c**t like the infallible son of God because he was good at dirty tricks in the Brexit referendum. 

Problem is if scientists have been told which advice to give, and to back the political line no matter what. No coincidence that nurse stopped coming on after Cummings, and that jvt was strangely absent after his honesty about the DC situation too. 

Edited by madwullie

Loving the 'Kelvingrove soooo busy the day second wave defo coming now frowny emoji' hot take a few weeks after the same curtain twitchers had a similar meltdown at people leaving the city to go to Loch Lomond etc. Make your minds up please.

A far more logical government message like 'travel an unlimited distance but avoid busy public spaces' would effortlessly distribute those people around an essentially empty country instead. 

Edited by vikingTON

22 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

The student population, famed for populating cities in the middle of June.

^^^ University of Life drop-out found.

Wanky students are self entitled roasters. As everyone knows.

45 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:

England going to 1M so when will our supreme leader follow suit? The usual 2 week delay?

Don't think it matters when she does it as a large percentage of the population have binned it off completely already anyway. 

Trains have been mostly utilised by jakies, junkies, and the young team in recent weeks , but in Glasgow and the West today there were groups of all ages and backgrounds travelling in groups together, obviously heading off to various social gatherings and events with absolutely none of the guidelines being adhered to. 

Social distancing, for the most part, is already a lost cause. 

The figures indicate steady progression and to be seen to follow suit to 1M with down south, without the two week delay, could ingratiate her a bit with some of her detractors, as its already beyond that level with a lot of folk anyway. 

People don't really care about some generic, unrelated old or vulnerable person dying.  

After 3 months of 'lockdown' you can't reasonably expect a young, healthy person to follow guidelines regarding a virus which has basically zero chance of killing them.

I said some time ago - tongue in cheek- weld old people into their homes and let the rest of us get on with it and I stand by the sentiment.

Edited by Am Featha Taigh Nan Clach

That you wanting folk to get in their cars and muck up everyone's nice clean air again? You're blowing hot and cold on this issue.
Surprised he hasnt suggested that if folk want to visit beauty spots they should buy houses near them tbh

7 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

People don't really care about some generic, unrelated old or vulnerable person dying.  

After 3 months of 'lockdown' you can't reasonably expect a young, healthy person to follow guidelines regarding a virus which has basically zero chance of killing them.

I said some time ago - tongue in cheek- weld old people into their homes and let the rest of us get on with it and I stand by the sentiment.

I would agree with that, if young people could guarantee that they won't come into contact with anyone over 24 for any length of time and never in contact with anyone over 50. The chances of that happening are slim to nil. These folk just don't care, their actions are unlikely to do any harm but they could kill their parents, I don't see that as being a risk worth taking.

I would agree with that, if young people could guarantee that they won't come into contact with anyone over 24 for any length of time and never in contact with anyone over 50. The chances of that happening are slim to nil. These folk just don't care, their actions are unlikely to do any harm but they could kill their parents, I don't see that as being a risk worth taking.
What's the mortality, or hospitalization rate for a fit and well 50 year old?

9 hours ago, Forest_Fifer said:

Not just Florida.

Screenshot_20200620-231410_Chrome.jpeg

Lots of southern states.

The current PGA Tour event is being held at Hilton Head in South Carolina. Justin Thomas said that "it was like a zoo" in the town with the beach crowded, and bars and restuarants very busy, and absolutely no fucks given for social distancing.

Some wildly differing death rates in those US figures. California has a death rate of just over 3% from it's cases. while New York is over 7.5%, with Virginia under 3%.

It wasn't just Kelvingrove Park that was busy last night, author Ian Rankin lives right by the Meadows in Edinburgh, and tweeted that it was crowded, and with no public toilets open folk were going for a pish anywhere and everywhere.

Edited by peasy23

9 hours ago, virginton said:

A far more logical government message like 'travel an unlimited distance but avoid busy public spaces' would effortlessly distribute those people around an essentially empty country instead. 

That would be completely unmanageable and lead to chaos. "busy public places" - how would you define where these are in advance of someone filling up their tank and driving 200 miles.....what if it became busy just before you arrived?  Would you havea system where the police turned cars back?  Nah, that would be far from "logical"

48 minutes ago, 101 said:

Yep. And plenty of older folk are willing to see the economy trashed just as these young people are entering the jobs market to reduce their chances of catching it from 'extremely unlikely' to 'even more extremely unlikely' so it's swings and roundabouts.

Edited by Gordon EF