Coronavirus (COVID-19)

23 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I don't get an hour lunch. Even if I did, most of my lunches are spent doing stuff like lunchtime supervision, or helping pupils who have been off catch up on missing work.

45 then. As you say not a skive but not out of the ordinary (not saying you said it was btw).

2 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

45 then. As you say not a skive but not out of the ordinary (not saying you said it was btw).

Absolutely. I probably do about an hour at home most days but even at 50 hours I'd never dream of comparing my hours to that of a doctor or nurse.

Edited by Gaz

From BBC;
In response to a follow up question from Mr Fraser, Benny Higgins outlines that almost 700,000 jobs may be under threat in Scotland.
I was lampooned for a particularly gloomy forcecast I made several weeks ago. I was spot on.
700,000!! Thats basically everyone outside of public sector surely?

A large part of them I would think would be jobs in the hospitality and tourism industries, with no real idea yet of when they might open up again.

According to this https://www.gov.scot/publications/regional-employment-patterns-scotland-statistics-annual-population-survey-2018/pages/1/
2.6 million people in Scotland have a job of some sort.

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

I feel confident in making the claim that any decently sized organisation has a group of people whose job essentially involves sending emails and/ or going to lunch. I'm not saying you shouldn't tolerate piss take jobs as an obsession with efficiency always sucks, is demoralising and is counter productive but I'd rather the folk whose job was superfluous didn't more often than not turn them into petty tyrants.

Teachers are undoubtedly middle class, it's a profession. That they (and the middle classes in general) are underpaid, undervalued, overworked and generally stressed out is as a result of a crisis in capitalism not working for who it's allegedly supposed to work for.

Sorry, mate, all my siblings are or have been (until retirement) teachers, and calling them middle class to their face would be a seriously high-risk  thing to do.

They (and the vast majority of this country) have to work to live - they are, by definition, working class. The whole concept of "middle class" is a handy construct to keep the various serfs at each others' throats rather than at the throats of those who live  a very comfortable life while never lifting a finger. It's worked for centuries, and continues to do so to this day.

1 hour ago, bennett said:

Putting up with up to 30 weans everyday probably. 

When I started the Prison job, my sister (St. Michaels, Kilwinning) said she was jealous. I asked why, and she said, "you might be looking after more cúnts than I am, but you're still allowed a stick to support your side of the argument." God bless the Ayrshire Riviera.

https://mobile.twitter.com/borna_coric/status/1274968741181362176

This is one of the players who tested positive for covid19 the other is Dimitrov.

I watched it and the stands were full of unmasked folk, that's 4 players or coaches tested positive. wonder how many in the stand caught it.

Edited by dirty dingus

3 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I get what you mean but being a teacher is a middle class profession. That no longer means they'll be wealthier than some working class professions. The idea someone would punch someone's lights out for accurately describing the status of the job seems a bit OTT.

You'll need to explain that thinking a bit more please pal. So what's the definition? Dirt under fingernails? Taking off your jacket?

Edited by jimbaxters

7 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I get what you mean but being a teacher is a middle class profession. That no longer means they'll be wealthier than some working class professions. The idea someone would punch someone's lights out for accurately describing the status of the job seems a bit OTT.

4 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

You'll need to explain that thinking a bit more please pal. So what's the definition? Dirt under fingernails? Taking off your jacket?

I'm with jimbaxters on this one, Mixu. The only thing I could see you basing your assessment of the profession's status is the requirement for a degree. In which case you wouldn't want to meet my soon-to-graduate daughter. She will  fúck you up if you even think of suggesting she would ever fall into that fabricated position. She's in Applied Theatre, btw. A "luvvie", no doubt..

9 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Just had the email from Falkirk Cooncil, daughter starts high school in August.

Going  in two days one week one day the next week and so on.  Still to hear wht my son who is going into primary seven will be doing.

Completely unacceptable.    Ah but of course blended learning.  They can quite frankly f**k off.   Ruining kids education, fucking up families trying to work, killing the economy etc etc etc.

Of  course the huge outcry will see this reversed as per everything else.   Good to see they're adding to peoples stress levels though, that's the one fucking thing they're consistently managing to do.

Absolute 3rd rate charlatans.

Just heard that my own two will be in school Wednesday afternoon, Thursday and Friday.

I'll be teaching all week at my own school - half the school in each day on an alternate day basis. 

My wife will be likely be back at work (bookies - the government have decided they're non-essential retail after briefly deciding that they were to try to cut back on furloughs) and my ex-wife (my kids' mother) works in a school office - so she'll be in all week.

This is going to be fun to organise.

Teaching is definitely a middle class job, no idea why this is even being debated here. Class is not a fixed thing, you can still be a working class person who gets a middle class job and eventually becomes middle class, which is what will happen to most teachers.

30 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Sorry, mate, all my siblings are or have been (until retirement) teachers, and calling them middle class to their face would be a seriously high-risk  thing to do.

They (and the vast majority of this country) have to work to live - they are, by definition, working class. The whole concept of "middle class" is a handy construct to keep the various serfs at each others' throats rather than at the throats of those who live  a very comfortable life while never lifting a finger. It's worked for centuries, and continues to do so to this day.

18 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I just think it's a reductive view in service of an idea which is laudable but counterproductive. It might not be as simple as Marx's claim that the middle classes stand as the halfway house between the proletariat and the capitalist class but different groups in society have different class interests and while the ultimate goal (for some) might be the abolition of capitalism and the class system it needs a bit more work than simply declaring everyone who works for a living is working class.

Edited by NotThePars

9 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

There is no hard and fast definition. But a teacher goes to university and ends up in a skilled white collar job while a working class person doesn't necessarily go to university and ends up in a profession that uses their hands which can be skilled or unskilled.

Not disagreeing but the point is why does there have to be a definition? IMO the lines are very blurred now and working/middle class are irrelevant terms. Those of us who work are all workers.

Edited by jimbaxters

Something I hadn't even considered until now is the 7 day average % of positive tests.

We've got a full week of new style results in, and that average is now 0.7%

That seems fairly significant as it is lower now than it was 3 weeks ago.

I do wonder slightly, though, what is driving 22,500 new people (ie people never tested before) over the last 7 days to get tested, for only around 150 to be positive? I can't imagine over 22,250 people over the last 7 days have developed covid-19 symptoms that subsequently turned out not to be Covid-19. Are people just booking tests for themselves because they can, rather than because they think they might need one?

Edited by Todd_is_God

Obviously the greater good of Soju and Kimchi demanded more input for their Horrific Club Photos thread. 
Have you seen Korean women? Such a thread would have slim pickings due to diet, genes, culture and ubiquitous cosmetic surgery.

Great place IMHO TBQHWY.

13 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I suppose my question would be what is it about being called middle class that provokes such violent feelings?

It's an anger that the whole idea of the middle class is a construct which serves only to divide the workers, and prevents them focussing on the people who are the real millstone around the neck of progress. As I've said before to people who think they're middle class and vote accordingly, a Head Teacher on 100k+ has more in common with the single mother of his most "challenging" pupil than he will ever have with the people he votes for.

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Something I hadn't even considered until now is the 7 day average % of positive tests.

We've got a full week of new style results in, and that average is now 0.7%

That seems fairly significant.

I do wonder slightly, though, what is driving 22,500 new people (ie people never tested before) over the last 7 days to get tested, for only around 150 to be positive? I can't imagine over 22,250 people over the last 7 days have developed covid-19 symptoms that subsequently turned out not to be Covid-19.

What's that got to do with teachers?