Coronavirus (COVID-19)

10 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Surely a lot of these people are just getting a free holiday?

The entertaining/depressing twist on that show is how often it's a couple who are both on their second marriage and the woman is clearly a psycho who is trying to get the guy away from his kids with the ex. The kids getting interviewed is brutal "So are you excited about your Dad completely abandoning you?".

It seems to almost invariably be the wife's "dream" ...most of them are of an age where they'll have grown up with the likes of Neighbours and Home and Away and probably think that's what Oz is like. It's the equivalent of basing a desire to live in Scotland on the fact you once saw a few episodes of Monarch of the Glen or Hamish Macbeth.

Edited by Hillonearth

7 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

As we still largely have a culture inherited from the older generations whereby work starts at 9 and you 'clock-off' at 5, there certainly seems to be a mistrust that employees aren't working during that time. 

My personal viewpoint is that salaried workers should be judged on whether they get their jobs done / targets met over the course of the year, not some daft set-times as if they've been specifically paid for that hour that they used to pick up their kids or whatever, which often ends up mismanaged anyway.  For example, I had recently been sub-contracting work and as long as the reports are supplied to expected standard, I couldn't give a f*** if they went on holiday and pulled three last minute all-nighters once home to get it done.

As we gradually move away from the 9-5 mentality, which we almost certainly are jobs become more flexible, there will probably be more trust over time.  Additionally, if working from home is seen as a relative norm for folk, then they don't have that novelty of a single day at home that is tempting to dick about with.  I know that I've been guilty of the latter in the  past.

I've got a mate who is working from home and his team are 1/3 WFH and 2/3 furlough but the workload is the same. The result is the WFH people are doing loads of unpaid overtime.

There seems to be a perception that WFH is going to lead to loads of people lives resembling an Apple Mac TV advert combining work and a social life. There are loads of potential downsides. 

I also don't quite get how WFH fits in with data protection.

13 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

As we gradually move away from the 9-5 mentality, which we almost certainly are as many jobs become more flexible, there will probably be more trust over time.  Additionally, if working from home is seen as a relative norm for folk, then they don't have that novelty of a single day at home that is tempting to dick about with.  I know that I've been guilty of the latter in the  past.

23 minutes ago, mizfit said:

One thing that homeworking has made me realise is how shite daytime telly is.

I've became addicted to these shows about airport customs officers that seem to be shown on Pick all day long. That and repeats of soaps from the early 90s.

22 minutes ago, Detournement said:

BBC daytime TV is completely mental. It's literally just people buying houses, buying and selling antiques/junk and shows about illegal immigrants, baillifs and benefit cheats. 

Certainly beats weekend mornings:

Sunday Brunch, Saturday Kitchen (x3), James F***ing Martin x2, Great Food Guys, Hairy Bikers Do Something, Cook Abroad, Britain's Food Factories...

I've became addicted to these shows about airport customs officers that seem to be shown on Pick all day long. That and repeats of soaps from the early 90s.

Ah yes. That must be the most boring job ever.

Repeatedly telling Asian tourists that they can’t take that pile of rotting leaves into the country over and over again.

25 minutes ago, Detournement said:

BBC daytime TV is completely mental. It's literally just people buying houses, buying and selling antiques/junk and shows about illegal immigrants, baillifs and benefit cheats. 

Eventually we will get to the point where a victorian bed pan sold on one show is shown being bought on another in the same day.

Edited by renton

2 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Certainly beats weekend mornings:

Sunday Brunch, Saturday Kitchen (x3), James F***ing Martin x2, Great Food Guys, Hairy Bikers Do Something, Cook Abroad, Britain's Food Factories...

That's because weekdays are designed for poor people and pensioners, Saturday is aspirational middle class pish and Sunday is quasi serious news. 

12 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Ah yes. That must be the most boring job ever.

Repeatedly telling Asian tourists that they can’t take that pile of rotting leaves into the country over and over again.

Literally every episode 😅

Literally every episode [emoji28]

There was one the other week where a woman had suffered the shits, and shat into a plastic bag containing shoes and underwear before putting it in her case.

I thought the assistant was going to murder her when he pulled the bag out the case while the woman stood smiling.

58 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

As we still largely have a culture inherited from the older generations whereby work starts at 9 and you 'clock-off' at 5, there certainly seems to be a mistrust that employees aren't working during that time. 

My personal viewpoint is that salaried workers should be judged on whether they get their jobs done / targets met over the course of the year, not some daft set-times as if they've been specifically paid for that hour that they used to pick up their kids or whatever, which often ends up mismanaged anyway.  For example, I had recently been sub-contracting work and as long as the reports are supplied to expected standard, I couldn't give a f*** if they went on holiday and pulled two last minute all-nighters once home to get it done.  The exception would relate to day-rate workers, which I would expect to be using that time honestly, although I tend to set an agreed price that essentially says "this job is is e.g. three days work, which would equate to £X on a day rate, that's the offer".

As we gradually move away from the 9-5 mentality, which we almost certainly are as many jobs become more flexible, there will probably be more trust over time.  Additionally, if working from home is seen as a relative norm for folk, then they don't have that novelty of a single day at home that is tempting to dick about with.  I know that I've been guilty of the latter in the  past.

Surely the problem will arise when unscrupulous employers pile in completely mental  unrealistic amounts of work and say " here's what I expect you to manage in a typical week, how you manage the time is up to you"  then the poor employee end up working shit loads of their own time trying to meet the targets and since they're working from home they don't even have someone else in the office to confide in who can say " hawd on a minute that's mental, no one could do all  that he's just taking the pure piss asking you to "

2 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Surely the problem will arise when unscrupulous employers pile in completely mental  unrealistic amounts of work and say " here's what I expect you to manage in a typical week, how you manage the time is up to you"  then the poor employee end up working shit loads of their own time trying to meet the targets and since they're working from home they don't even have someone else in the office to confide in who can say " hawd on a minute that's mental, no one could do all  that he's just taking the pure piss asking you to "

Is it really any different to an office worker having a deadline / targets set normally? 

There was one the other week where a woman had suffered the shits, and shat into a plastic bag containing shoes and underwear before putting it in her case.

I thought the assistant was going to murder her when he pulled the bag out the case while the woman stood smiling.
Was John with Mrs Potter on the trip ?

2 hours ago, David W said:

My exciting life normally revolves around football on a Saturday, teaching during the week, and the gym/fives to fill up the rest of the time. The full lockdown has in some ways extended into the easing up period for me as a result. Going back into school was brilliant and having fives back on Monday will be a life saver.

Are fives back from Monday? I thought contact stuff was still on hold or is that just indoors?