Coronavirus (COVID-19)

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

1000 people spending 30 hours per week packed 30 to a room with the windows closed must be terribly unsafe then. 

The teachers I know are following P&B law to the letter and the heating is on full and the windows are wide open.

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

1000 people spending 30 hours per week packed 30 to a room with the windows closed must be terribly unsafe then. 

At my kids school all the windows are open all of the time

Jacket on all day and still Baltic

They put them out every break and lunchtime regardless of weather

School field looks like the Somme

23 hours ago, superbigal said:

Good Afternoon. 7 Days on from my last review it is worth a complete council update.   The latest figures encompass the final 7 days of the Tier 4 etc restrictions.

Overall cases per 100K  98.5 for period 7 days up to 4th December.  Now for 7 days 5th December to 11the December they are 110.0 . That is a increase overall of 11.67% in a period of 7 days,  all of which were in higher restrictions.   

So who is to blame.  Let us take a look.  I will class the councils in the Tiers they were in up to 11th December.

Aberdeen City Tier 2   74.3 to 122.0    Increase 64.19%     Guaranteed relegation tomorrow to tier 3

Aberdeenshire Tier 2    80.4 to 84.2    Increase 4.72 %    Touch and go now it's city neighbour is for the chop

East Lothian   Tier 2  67.2 to 126.1   Increase 87.64%   Got promoted take the piss and now for the chop tomorrow

Just now, Marshmallo said:

The big man off to BTW for a toastie and 8 pints

b25lY21zOmMxZDY0N2M4LTEzZjgtNDIzMC1iMmRl

Yes, now that we've survived by the skin of our teeth youv got to wonder what next season has in store for the bairns,  Given that we're essentialy now a wee island surrounded by (and hospital sharing with)  high risk areas & a completely ineffective travel ban   youv got to fear that the next week is going to be a bit like the 2009-10 season where we saw relegation coming a mile of.

What's the rationale behind 5 days?
If they must relax the rules,  Christmas Day along with either Christmas Eve or Boxing day would have been plenty to appease the Facebook mum brigade surely.
I think it is to allow people time to travel.

If they do look to change the Xmas meeting rules now, I'm not sure if reducing the number of days from 5 would be beneficial, assuming people actually follow the rules and stick to their bubble. Changing that may just be a tacit acknowledgement that many are likely going to meet different extended family over a number of days, or just do what they want regardless.

But if they do change the rules/guidance, the level of seethe generated will be fantastic. So it may be worth it just for that.

1 hour ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

I've always found it strange that most people here recognise that Fox News is insane, while calmly accepting that our press will happily exaggerate, misrepresent and lie to millions of people on a daily basis with absolutely no consequences.

Agreed. It's one of the main reasons I don't watch, read or listen to the news at all. I don't miss anything important as it's covered on here, and I mean the 'news' in general, not just COVID stuff.

1 hour ago, Mallo_Madrid said:

What's the rationale behind 5 days?

If they must relax the rules,  Christmas Day along with either Christmas Eve or Boxing day would have been plenty to appease the Facebook mum brigade surely.

Travel is the only reason I can think.

46 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

There is absolutely a really widespread statistical illiteracy in the UK even amongst otherwise educated people. An example is the number of people who can't seem to get their head around distributions and don't understand that not everyone is at the mean of a distribution.

The sort of idiot who'd reply to the statement "men are generally heavier than women" with "but my mum's heavier than my dad"...

Hide contents

frustration gif - Google Search | This or that questions, Emotional stages,  Giphy

Aye but what's heavier, a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers.

34 minutes ago, virginton said:

But they'll all have great nails.

You are talking about nail bars aye?

30 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Similar. My dad lives on his own and it'll be an absolute miracle if he sees Xmas 2121. Pretty much all that's keeping him going atm is the thought of Xmas day with his two grandkids (who spend 6 hours a day in a covid factory™) and my wife's (works in a hospital) cooking. 

He's already said he'd rather risk catching covid than sit up at his on his own, but that's extremely easy to say when you're not gasping your last with a f**k off tube down your throat in an icu. 

I don't mean this as an insult against your dad, and can absolutely see what he means there, but it isn't just about him. If he gets the virus he can infect others, unless he drove himself to yours and drove himself back and isolated for 10 days when he returned.

46 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

That was why the SG aim of zero covid being driven by fantasist Devi in the summer was utter nonsense.

Unless you planned to ban movement out and in  of Scotland perpetually it was never going to work.

All that strategy did was f**k the economy, damage people's mental health and do put the NHS miles behind schedule.

You cannot keep bouncing between lockdown, mini lockdown etc as its quite simply here to stay.  

You adapt, hygiene, distancing, masks, test and get on with actually living life.

We need a circuit break to deliver a short, sharp, shock to the virus. That must have worked, given how insistent Wales were when they did it.