Coronavirus (COVID-19)

11 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

They were very open about this, its so it comes in waves to stop the NHS being overwhelmed. If you just let it go all at once you would have societal breakdown and economic meltdown and the NHS would collapse. 

So the plan is to mitigate each time and manage it to stop the NHS being overwhelmed, but let it pass through the population in a managed fashion. That was the choice they made, mitigation over suppression. Scotgov chose suppression but its hand have been tied being attached to and governed by a country with ten times our population that was pursuing mitigation.

They weren’t very open about anything. They were pursuing herd immunity by allowing spread but it turned out to be a bad look so decided to pursue a “mitigation “ strategy instead. The aim of the mitigation strategy isn’t here immunity. It is to avoid bad headlines. Any suggestion that this government has any goals or strategy beyond staying in power from day to day is laughable.

1 minute ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Since you came on here just to have a go at me, feel I should remind everyone you openly shared your hope that somebody murders Nicola Sturgeon. That's what sort of person you are.

That was @Jacksgranda, not me.

(Sorry @Jacksgrandait was you or me, so I Lee Wallaced you)

34 minutes ago, coprolite said:

If it’s from letting the virus go unchecked then people will die needlessly

And mutations would continue forever until it becomes much more deadly and kills itself out or become harmless or somewhere in between we can't just let it run through society unless we isolate ourselves as a country to limit the spread of new variants

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55651518

This story re immunity for "months" is doing the rounds this morning. MSM seem determined to give it a bit of a 'bad news' spin with the "you could still get it again", but on the whole its surely a positive story.

Couple of things though - they say it gives you protection for at least 5 months. But the study itself only lasted 5 months, so it could of course actually be significantly longer (it may not of course, but we just don't know).

Also it was conducted from June - Nov when numbers, particularly in the early part of that timeframe were pretty small. Looks like to me there's been a hell of a lot of 'protection' been built up the last few weeks.

1 hour ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

This Tory Z-lister was on the news earlier saying they have had to delay the introduction of the negative test requirement so international arrivals have enough enough time to become familiar with the new rules.

Is this Ministerial speak for "we need to check that Stanley Johnson isn't currently in Greece before introducing something which might delay him at the airport for more than a few seconds when he gets back"?

14 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

That's exactly what you are doing. They couldn't, there's no point arguing the facts of the matter, Scotgov could not tell businesses to close until income support was in place. That was the responsibility of WM. This is a simple, basic, irrefutable fact that I've never heard anyone attempt to dispute until you.

Yes they could.

if I remember correctly Boris locked the country down before furlough or the various business support schemes were in place.  When he did that a raft of people were made redundant between him shutting pubs etc and Sunak announcing his economic support package.  Some employers rescinded the redundancy and furloughed the staff instead.  Happened to a member of my family.

9 hours ago, DAFC. said:

“Her Majesty’s Government”

That club is honestly weird as f*ck. Obsessed with a corrupt institute that doesn’t give two shits about them. A strange, strange bunch of people. Like, the gesture is appreciated, but calm the staunchness for one second, eh?

Her Majesty's Government will have a spam filter that chucks creepy stuff like this straight in the fucking bin alongside emails from the abducted by aliens crack jobs.