Coronavirus (COVID-19)

12 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

R is not a massively useful number to be honest, it is an easy one to report and conceptualise, but it doesn't really give a good "here and now" estimate of what's going on, its more a model for spread, not an actual measure of absolute numbers.

I'd agree with that, but it's put front and centre when there's going to be a change in restrictions, and when the data is released, it turns out the number quoted was the estimate from 7 to 14 days earlier.

17 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

Actually no we didn't. The virus didn't go away. We did. 

I used this analogy previously, when someone was trying to persuade us here that the virus wasn't as dangerous as it once was because death and infection rates were falling (a false premise if ever there was), it's like standing in the middle of the road and getting hit  by a bus. If you stop standing in the middle of the road that doesn't suddenly make buses less dangerous. It just means you are better at avoiding them. 

For the benefit of clarity in this analogy the bus is Covid-19 and the middle of the road is basically anywhere in the outside world. 

The more we stayed in the lower the rates of transmission of the virus was. The more we went out, the more we ate out to help out and the more we interacted so the rate of this highly infectious virus rose again. 

I was being sarcastic.

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I've sent an email to the head of practice who's quite a big honcho in medical circles, so it will be interesting to find out if he has anything to say. I'm not that bothered but it would be nice to get my second jag out of the way before I probably cancel yet another holiday at the end of April.

Im enjoying the booking and rebooking of holidays stuff, should be on a cruise in the Bahamas just now, but id much rather be home.... 

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I've sent an email to the head of practice who's quite a big honcho in medical circles, so it will be interesting to find out if he has anything to say.

I'm going for Iain Kennedy...

Centres have protocols in place for if there's extra doses left over for whatever reason e.g. people not turning up, extra doses in bottles etc, so you might get lucky. The local centres phone round people to see if they can get down.

32 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

Centres have protocols in place for if there's extra doses left over for whatever reason e.g. people not turning up, extra doses in bottles etc, so you might get lucky. The local centres phone round people to see if they can get down.

Got a reply which was a blunt GTF and wait your turn, don't think my email got past reception. :lol:

6 hours ago, Left Back said:

Yes they could.

if I remember correctly Boris locked the country down before furlough or the various business support schemes were in place.  When he did that a raft of people were made redundant between him shutting pubs etc and Sunak announcing his economic support package.  Some employers rescinded the redundancy and furloughed the staff instead.  Happened to a member of my family.

This isn't true, but even if it were the case - are you suggesting the Scottish Government could/should have locked down earlier and caused a raft of redundancies without a support system in place?

1 hour ago, Cyclizine said:

I think they should put yellow labels on the left over vaccine syringes at the end of the day.  Then take them to the supermarket and leave them with the marked down Melton Mowbray Pork Pies, Yellow Haddock and out of date yoghurts

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Im enjoying the booking and rebooking of holidays stuff, should be on a cruise in the Bahamas just now, but id much rather be home.... 

I'm meant to be going to Russia the morra. All flights are cancelled from Leper Island so contacted the embassy about changing my visa to later in year Nyet, can I get a refund Nyet.

Commie bassas.

9 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

This isn't true, but even if it were the case - are you suggesting the Scottish Government could/should have locked down earlier and caused a raft of redundancies without a support system in place?

Not advocating anything.  Just pointing out that there was advice or restrictions in place before the financial support packages were and this impacted peoples jobs.

if you were entirely focussed on public health it would the the correct logical policy to implement restrictions.

7 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Not advocating anything.  Just pointing out that there was advice or restrictions in place before the financial support packages were and this impacted peoples jobs.

if you were entirely focussed on public health it would the the correct logical policy to implement restrictions.

So when you said the government could've locked down earlier, you realised how much of a stupid move that would've been, but you still want to argue that it was possible?

13 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Now stopped flights from Brazil and most surrounding countries. After several landed today. So presumably enough cases of the Brazil variant now circulating to continue their quest for herd immunity, so its safe to stop them now.

Herd immunity is going to happen sooner or later regardless of what 'look, we're taking action!' measures they want to throw around.