Coronavirus (COVID-19)

29 minutes ago, strichener said:

I seem to remember seeing an infographic showing how much better we would have been if we had joined the EU central purchasing agreement.  I bet Germany and the other countries wished they could have went it alone now.

Germany apparently did a side order with BionTech in addition to the EU supply.  It was speculated that is why they’re rubbishing AZ.  German made vaccines for the Germans.

4 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

L

I've just had a positive test result this morning - hardly surprising as there's over a hundred staff of due to Covid at our nick. 57, five years past cancer and one year post stroke. Currently just feel knackered and as if I've got a stinking cold. Here's hoping that's the extent of it..

I'll keep you posted.

Hope everything goes well for you brother and it stays the same as it sounds now.

11 minutes ago, Snafu said:

It's typically German, they have a Plan B, and a Plan C if B doesn't work, probably a Plan D as well and so on.

What's our plan if Plan A fails?

I'm sure I read somewhere that we have the most vaccines per head ordered.

ETA:. Appears Canada and the USA have more ordered.

d41586-020-03370-6_18641106.jpg

Edited by strichener

19 minutes ago, Snafu said:

It's typically German, they have a Plan B, and a Plan C if B doesn't work, probably a Plan D as well and so on.

What's our plan if Plan A fails?

Do it again usually.

Piss off @coprolite

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

It's not so much that I want a positive message to "feel better" but rather that I want to know that, at some point, we will have our lives back.  Restrictions are all fine and well in the here and now given the situation in hospitals, but there are several vaccines with more on the way and that should dramatically reduce the number of people in hospital/dying.  
I'm not asking NS to come out and give a tangible number of hospitalisations required, to ease restrictions.  I would like them to come out say there will be some point (whatever that might be) whereby the situation regarding the rate of people being hospitalised is such that we can lift restrictions, that we might not know what that looks like at the moment but we are hoping that the vaccine will help with this and that we will get there.  At the moment it is a constant bombardment of fear and emotional messaging which, excuse the hyperbole, is bordering on propaganda with (seemingly given the tone of messages) no end in sight.
What concerns me is that the language is no longer about using hospitalisations and deaths as the barometer in their rhetoric.  It's about transmission and cases all of a sudden, and there seems to be a blinkered approach to covid.  Up until now it has been about protecting the NHS and saving lives - well, if the vaccines do their job (and they surely wouldn't have been approved if they didn't?) then those two things should be taken care of through vaccination.  But the goalposts get shifted again to talking about cases & transmission.  The goalposts can't keep being shifted, there has to be a point at which we learn to live with it.  
It's fairly obvious why they've gone done the harem scarem route - still a significant minority of arseholes who they want to put the heebee jeebees up.

Not saying it's right but I get why they are doing it.

At some point though they have to give people some hope - even if it is in the tone of the messaging. That being said, it's a fine balance - you don't want to go the Bojo Clownshoes route of making ridiculous predictions you won't keep.

Some really heartening decreases in these figures.
Hospital numbers also decreasing.
Total number in hospital now 1983 having been 2053 a week ago. 
Likewise ICU numbers down from 161 to 142 over similar period. 
It's those numbers that should give everyone a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.