Coronavirus (COVID-19)

8 minutes ago, Donathan said:

But for most professional jobs which involve a large degree of thinking on your feet, the skills to do these jobs well are simply not available in such countries. 

181206.png

Just now, SlipperyP said:

They will also tell you to buy it off the money your saving from no commute to word 5 days a week.

Contracts getting re-written as we speak.

Not gonna hold. An impoverished one working parent family in a cramped council house would sweep up at a tribunal if sacked for not being able to carry out their work due to home working conditions… 

Also not everyone has commuting costs. Plenty people are walking or cycling distance to work so how do you apply the non saved cost commute?

4 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
8 minutes ago, hk blues said:
I'm not sure how far they need to go,  but you're correct that it's the employer's responsibility.  Sure, they may need to provide a suitable desk and chair, but suitable place?  They would hardly be expected to help folk move to a bigger place.  It's all down to reasonably practical measures.

Anyone who didn't have physical space to WFH with us has been offered an office based alternative but not as it was, hot desking now. Uptake was tiny about 3 out of 90 odds. Our old building is already on the market !

Whenever my work get round to announcing what their policy is (it's been indicated it will be some kind of hybrid setup) I'll selflessly volunteer to give up my allocated office time for someone that doesn't have decent space to WFH.

3 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Whenever my work get round to announcing what their policy is (it's been indicated it will be some kind of hybrid setup) I'll selflessly volunteer to give up my allocated office time for someone that doesn't have decent space to WFH.

I work from home.  and have been for the last 4 years and wouldn't want to swap it for office work.  That said, I have plenty of space and a dedicated room where I can work all day, close the door and not see the place until the next morning - if I was having to blend work space and living space in one I'd be less enthusiastic.  

7 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I work for a mid sized professional services firm. We and most of our peers haven't outsourced much before but are looking to do it increasingly due to skills shortages, cost savings and the last 18 months effectively working as proof of concept. 

The last point is why it hasn't happened before. 

Remains to be seen what the quality is like but we've heard from our Antipodean associates that it is great, for higher level more routine stuff. 

where i work , departments like HR are currently WFH but were traditionally based in the same office block as those office workers who also carried out physical work on site,  they work from a set of scripts and procedures and are utterly useless if you give them any kind of curve ball at all. we also have people like draughtsmen(women) who's job is now 100% CAD computer based and document clerks which haven't set foot on site in over a year . are you saying there are not enough educated english speaking workers who could fill these kind of roles abroad for less? maybe they havent thought about it before now?

1 minute ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

where i work , departments like HR are currently WFH but were traditionally based in the same office block as those office workers who also carried out physical work on site,  they work from a set of scripts and procedures and are utterly useless if you give them any kind of curve ball at all. we also have people like draughtsmen(women) who's job is now 100% CAD computer based and document clerks which haven't set foot on site in over a year . are you saying there are not enough educated english speaking workers who could fill these kind of roles abroad for less? maybe they havent thought about it before now?

Have you quoted the wrong person? 

Guest TheJTS98
28 minutes ago, Donathan said:

But for most professional jobs which involve a large degree of thinking on your feet, the skills to do these jobs well are simply not available in such countries. 

Err...

37 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

if a job can be done remotely then it can be done abroad by cheaper labour. 

The jobs that are being done remotely have been able to be done remotely for years, and companies haven't outsourced work abroad. 

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
21 minutes ago, btb said:
Probably today, as normal.

No more Tuesday's bar scheduled reviews as they were to parliament which is now in recess. Next scheduled review is next week.

Plenty time for them to activate the spin machine post yesterday’s UK update.

7 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
26 minutes ago, btb said:
Probably today, as normal.

No more Tuesday's bar scheduled reviews as they were to parliament which is now in recess. Next scheduled review is next week.

Fairy Nuff - NS has made plenty mistakes during the pandemic I just don't think keeping a low profile is an accusation that can be sustained.

As others have mentioned Scotland will have to follow what happens down south although I do expect NS to maintain our policy of being 1% stricter.

8 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I work from home.  and have been for the last 4 years and wouldn't want to swap it for office work.  That said, I have plenty of space and a dedicated room where I can work all day, close the door and not see the place until the next morning - if I was having to blend work space and living space in one I'd be less enthusiastic.  

This is a big part of it. I was working in my bedroom (2 bed flat, no spare room) but now have a separate room to work in and it is noticeably better. Were I sat working at the kitchen table in a flat share, which will be the reality for a lot of young people starting out, I'd have lost my fucking mind. 

Work was also extremely busy last year which added to the misery. My home became my workplace and with the long hours there was pretty much no escape from it. It was utterly horrendous. 

My employer's policy is that no-one will be forced back to the office and can choose where they whether they work at home or in the office. I am however interested to see how this works in practice, given the rampant presenteeism, and I can foresee a lot of complaints down the like about management and whether their actions are consistent with the policy. In particular, whether those attending the office more frequently are favoured etc. There are some interesting battles ahead that's for sure. 

4 minutes ago, btb said:

As others have mentioned Scotland will have to follow what happens down south although I do expect NS to maintain our policy of being 1% stricter

Would be useful to finally publish the data used to determine what's happening. Don't think any country in the UK has done so unless I have missed it.

Despite of course harping on about data not dates.

50 minutes ago, Adam said:

My work are expected to announce this afternoon that WFH will now become the default position post pandemic, and expect to sell a couple of floors in both Glasgow and London back to the landlord, keeping only one floor in each location for meetings, interviews etc…

Delicious.

Sell to who?! Many companies locating to low cost industrial estates to reduce costs, whilst the rest just outsourcing. 

Give it 6 months and its cut backs or outsourced. 

Unless self employed, your coy are responsible for your health and safety whilst working

Think they're going to check your abode out to check it's compliant, and you have the correct seating etc etc.? There are also insurance implications if WFH as this will become your normal place of work after Covid restrictions are lifted. 

There is a possible local council implication in change of use in the domestic dwelling also becoming a normal place of work. 

Not fucking happening. 

5 minutes ago, BlueBear said:

Sell to who?! Many companies locating to low cost industrial estates to reduce costs, whilst the rest just outsourcing. 

Give it 6 months and its cut backs or outsourced. 

Unless self employed, your coy are responsible for your health and safety whilst working

Think they're going to check your abode out to check it's compliant, and you have the correct seating etc etc.? There are also insurance implications if WFH as this will become your normal place of work after Covid restrictions are lifted. 

There is a possible local council implication in change of use in the domestic dwelling also becoming a normal place of work. 

Not fucking happening. 

Give it a break ya big try hard. 

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

Bluebear has once again afforded himself a break from his very real business/investment/fisher price toy set to educate the P&B masses. Pay attention everyone. 

tell me more will smith GIF

As said, I do NOT run the business, just own it, but you being a sheep and in denial like the rest of the haters, so don't let the facts get in the way of a good agenda. 

No wonder your teams shit.