Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

As has been pointed out to you by someone with a bit of insight, 'blended learning' is in reality a nonsense idea in a school context.  It's not really something that exists beyond its name.

How would you know, given that you haven't actually applied it? And previously conflated it with 'distance learning' which is not the same thing.

This year's school results will be better than is usually the case which does indeed undermine their worth.  They have been arrived at, however, via generally more rigorous processes than were evident last year. 

That'll depend on whether the SQA have the stones to mark down dodgy schools' homework at the end. 

This renders the 'back of a fag packet' characterisation a bit silly, even if a lack of consistency across schools is likely to be an issue.

When a lack of consistency applies to the time, preparation and amount of times certain schools are churning out tests, that's a major issue for the credibility of results. 

39 minutes ago, virginton said:

1. How would you know, given that you haven't actually applied it? And previously conflated it with 'distance learning' which is not the same thing.

2. That'll depend on whether the SQA have the stones to mark down dodgy schools' homework at the end. 

3. When a lack of consistency applies to the time, preparation and amount of times certain schools are churning out tests, that's a major issue for the credibility of results. 

1.  Something very much like it was applied in March this year.  It was about lip service and nobody was well served by it.

2.  The issue this year should have less to do with schools wildly inflating performance by making generous inferences about it.  Rather, it'll be about the conditions of assessment, as encouraged by the SQA, being kinder.  The marks should be more genuine in their own terms than we saw last year.  However, they're still likely to be well up on pre-Covid years.  The SQA, whether equipped with stones or otherwise, will not be marking anyone down this year.  They've said as much.

3. As I said, there are issues attached to consistency and they constitute problems regarding credibility.  Again though, I don't think the 'back of a fag packet' characterisation was accurate. 

You seem under the impression that it's a broadly similar situation to last year.  It's not.  That's not to say it's absolutely fine because that's not true either.  Attainment must be evidenced this year, however, in a way that wasn't required last year.  

Edited by Monkey Tennis

27 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

1.  Something very much like it was applied in March this year.  It was about lip service and nobody was well served by it.

So not actually an application of a coherently planned blended learning model then, but rather a back of a fag packet device put together at a week's notice.

Colour me shocked that this did not lead to effective learning! 

2.  The issue this year should have less to do with schools wildly inflating performance by making generous inferences about it.  Rather, it'll be about the conditions of assessment, as encouraged by the SQA, being kinder.  The marks should be more genuine in their own terms than we saw last year.  However, they're still likely to be well up on pre-Covid years.  The SQA, whether equipped with stones or otherwise, will not be marking anyone down this year.  They've said as much.

3. As I said, there are issues attached to consistency and they constitute problems regarding credibility.  Again though, I don't think the 'back of a fag packet' characterisation was accurate. 

You seem under the impression that it's a broadly similar situation to last year.  It's not.  That's not to say it's absolutely fine because that's not true either.  Attainment must be evidenced this year, however, in a way that wasn't required last year.  

I'm well aware that the conditions are not the same as last year. The outcome however will likely be very similar: a set of joke results compared to those before 2020, and widespread tears and snotters from those who feel disadvantaged next month. Providing evidence does not make the results any more credible, when the conditions for collecting that evidence are not the same at every centre. 

Home Nations Daily update  :  UK Average 488.0  to 497.1 up 1.86%, England 529.1 to 540.0 up 2.25%, Wales  210.6 to 207.4 down 1.52, Northern Ireland  374.6 to 401.2 up 7.09%

39,906 to 36,389 cases & 84 to 64 deaths.

As per yesterday looks to be peaking in England & maybe now on the decline Wales.  Just out of control  in Northern Ireland which has  doubled in last 6 days. 

I think less restrictions actually mean more safe behaviour in terms of the spread.

Midlothian number 1 in Scotland is number 141st council  in the UK from 130th yesterday.

The lowest rate of infection currently in any English council is in Suffolk with a rate of 287.6 cases per 100K.  That would place as 2nd top in Scotland.

Redcar & Cleveland is at a staggering 1,546.5

1 hour ago, virginton said:

So not actually an application of a coherently planned blended learning model then, but rather a back of a fag packet device put together at a week's notice.

Colour me shocked that this did not lead to effective learning! 

I'm well aware that the conditions are not the same as last year. The outcome however will likely be very similar: a set of joke results compared to those before 2020, and widespread tears and snotters from those who feel disadvantaged next month. Providing evidence does not make the results any more credible, when the conditions for collecting that evidence are not the same at every centre. 

The process in March was indeed cobbled together at short notice.  That's not what you initially attached the 'back of a fag packet' description to though.

I don't think the results will have the same 'joke' quality this year, but there are flaws in the system along the lines you suggest.

Last year really was a dog's dinner though.  When a very inflated picture started to emerge in June, schools and authorities should have been required to revisit grades then.  Instead, the algorithm was applied.  This tool was powerful enough to create a big picture in line with those of previous years.  However, it lacked the subtlety to prevent large numbers of individual injustices.  This forced the 'solution' of letting initial estimates stand - a bloody mess that actually disadvantaged kids who generally perform very well. 

This year won't be like that.  Any August snotters will lack authenticity as kids already know their grades and they won't change unless appealed.  

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Not been reading of late but if you see my post on RTBC, I’m double jagged and currently in Fuerteventura. 😎

Edinburgh Airport test before we came out (£80) for me (only 10 days into twice jagged) was very thorough, 5secs swab each side of throat, 10secs up the schnozz. Negative. 

Today was the -3 day before flying test at a private clinic here (120EU a skull), lucky if the bird got the cotton bud wet. They just want you clear to fly and get dafuq off their island. Guess what? Negative! 

And now booked in for a £88 2-day in test to take when I get home. 

Govs ain’t testing for testings sake, they’re testing to add a £300/skull surcharge to dissuade you from taking your holiday. Politics thread for the pish to argue who’s pals are making the most of it.. 

Still worth it mind… £36 each for two sleeves of fags  for ma maw who’s been watching the dug. That’ll be a net £50 win for us then. 😆

4 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Not been reading of late but if you see my post on RTBC, I’m double jagged and currently in Fuerteventura. 😎

Edinburgh Airport test before we came out (£80) for me (only 10 days into twice jagged) was very thorough, 5secs swab each side of throat, 10secs up the schnozz. Negative. 

Today was the -3 day before flying test at a private clinic here (120EU a skull), lucky if the bird got the cotton bud wet. They just want you clear to fly and get dafuq off their island. Guess what? Negative! 

Govs ain’t testing for testings sake, they’re testing to add a £300/skull surcharge to dissuade you from taking your holiday. Politics thread for the pish to argue who’s pals are making the most of it.. 

Still worth it mind… £36 each for two sleeves of fags  for ma maw who’s been watching the dug. That’ll be a net £50 win for us then. 😆

Thought you just needed a lateral flow test before flying back? I paid 30 euros in Portugal.

17 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

€120 ? Our fly home tests are €40 each from Malta, swab yourself and send a picture via email for the certificate. 
Flying back in via Leeds means i dont need to pay the £88 that the Scottish Government is ripping people off with. 

First day of isolation. Cough getting a bit worse but not feeling too bad. Kids gone a bit feral already and spent most of the day naked. House a fucking riot. Ordered a bouncy castle to get us through a few days.

I feel it could be a bit like lord of the flies after the next 9 days

16 minutes ago, Aufc said:

First day of isolation. Cough getting a bit worse but not feeling too bad. Kids gone a bit feral already and spent most of the day naked. House a fucking riot. Ordered a bouncy castle to get us through a few days.

I feel it could be a bit like lord of the flies after the next 9 days

So sorry to read about your misfortune.

At least your team seem to be doing okay.

All the best.

19 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

€120 ? Our fly home tests are €40 each from Malta, swab yourself and send a picture via email for the certificate. 
Flying back in via Leeds means i dont need to pay the £88 that the Scottish Government is ripping people off with. 

According to an FOI request it is the UK governments fault that Scotland are using the CTM portal.  Absolute bullshit but standard response to anything unpopular in Scotland.

So sorry to read about your misfortune.
At least your team seem to be doing okay.
All the best.

To be honest, in the grand scheme of life, it’s hardly an issue. I hopefully should manage through without any major health issues as I am a healthy creature. However, in my own world, it is a fucking a nightmare

3 minutes ago, Aufc said:

To be honest, in the grand scheme of life, it’s hardly an issue. I hopefully should manage through without any major health issues as I am a healthy creature. However, in my own world, it is a fucking a nightmare

Do you have any idea how you managed to catch it?

Literally been four days since this c**t was virtue signalling on twitter on about how he was going to still be avoiding indoor spaces and now he’s saying how glorious ordering at the bar is.

I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt and put it down as a Lovejoy redemption story but most likely he was always planning to enjoy freedom day and was just virtue signalling on Monday. 

92F60718-BB23-4A10-B968-AA6A8751A5D2.png

51A63933-6334-480C-A54E-40C9C43C5293.png

The process in March was indeed cobbled together at short notice.  That's not what you initially attached the 'back of a fag packet' description to though.
I don't think the results will have the same 'joke' quality this year, but there are flaws in the system along the lines you suggest.
Last year really was a dog's dinner though.  When a very inflated picture started to emerge in June, schools and authorities should have been required to revisit grades then.  Instead, the algorithm was applied.  This tool was powerful enough to create a big picture in line with those of previous years.  However, it lacked the subtlety to prevent large numbers of individual injustices.  This forced the 'solution' of letting initial estimates stand - a bloody mess that actually disadvantaged kids who generally perform very well. 
This year won't be like that.  Any August snotters will lack authenticity as kids already know their grades and they won't change unless appealed.  
Correct.

Pupils already know their estimates.

Schools have been extremely careful regards quality assurance this year to avoid any possibility of legal challenges. That meant that there were a number of steps taken for quality assurance purposes:

* We had to check papers and marking schemes to ensure they were standardised - initially done with a partner school and then discussed and agreed with all schools within the authority. We also set up groups where we had experienced markers to provide and discuss particular points in terms of pupil responses.

* All pupils sat the same assessments and the conditions of assessments were agreed across the authority to ensure consistency in the delivery of assessments. There was also work done on sharing of standards with other LAs.

* Assessments were subject to cross-marking within schools and external cross-marking by another partner school. There also had to be paperwork which recorded any issues raised and follow-up action required.

* There was some limited SQA sampling in May by SQA - although many courses were not selected schools still had to make sure they were being rigorous beforehand in case they were selected.

* At all stages of the process pupils had to be fully aware of what their likely estimate at that point was going to be - final estimates should come as no surprise to any pupil.

* In the vast majority of cases the estimates submitted by teachers were based entirely on the SQA assessments. If other evidence had to be used it had to be of similar quality and standard - again cross-marked within the school.

* When estimates were submitted by a teacher to me as the PT we had a formal minuted discussion about each and every estimate submitted - my responsibility was to check estimates against actual assessments. As a PT I was also conscious of past historical performance - we had a tool to check our estimates were not overestimating (or underestimating) - any discrepancies required us to revisit to check we did have the evidence to justify estimates.

* Once we submitted estimates to our Senior Leadership Team we then met with our Head Teacher and Depute Head departmental link to discuss and justify the estimates submitted.

* Once schools had their estimates agreed they were then checked by the LA - any anomalies had to be justified in terms of actual real evidence.

* Pupils were informed of their actual estimates by email two days prior to the final submission by the school.

The process this year, although not ideal, is light years away from the guestimates process we had last year. Yes, it could have been better, in particular the ridiculous pressure on pupils in May to complete assessments. As I've said before, that is entirely the fault of SQA and, by default, John Swinney. Decisions regards exams should have been made far sooner. Swinney should also have never trusted SQA on delivering assessments swiftly - the late issuing of assessments made the process far more difficult than it could and should have been.

8 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Correct.

Pupils already know their estimates.

Schools have been extremely careful regards quality assurance this year to avoid any possibility of legal challenges. That meant that there were a number of steps taken for quality assurance purposes:

* We had to check papers and marking schemes to ensure they were standardised - initially done with a partner school and then discussed and agreed with all schools within the authority. We also set up groups where we had experienced markers to provide and discuss particular points in terms of pupil responses.

* All pupils sat the same assessments and the conditions of assessments were agreed across the authority to ensure consistency in the delivery of assessments. There was also work done on sharing of standards with other LAs.

* Assessments were subject to cross-marking within schools and external cross-marking by another partner school. There also had to be paperwork which recorded any issues raised and follow-up action required.

* There was some limited SQA sampling in May by SQA - although many courses were not selected schools still had to make sure they were being rigorous beforehand in case they were selected.

* At all stages of the process pupils had to be fully aware of what their likely estimate at that point was going to be - final estimates should come as no surprise to any pupil.

* In the vast majority of cases the estimates submitted by teachers were based entirely on the SQA assessments. If other evidence had to be used it had to be of similar quality and standard - again cross-marked within the school.

* When estimates were submitted by a teacher to me as the PT we had a formal minuted discussion about each and every estimate submitted - my responsibility was to check estimates against actual assessments. As a PT I was also conscious of past historical performance - we had a tool to check our estimates were not overestimating (or underestimating) - any discrepancies required us to revisit to check we did have the evidence to justify estimates.

* Once we submitted estimates to our Senior Leadership Team we then met with our Head Teacher and Depute Head departmental link to discuss and justify the estimates submitted.

* Once schools had their estimates agreed they were then checked by the LA - any anomalies had to be justified in terms of actual real evidence.

* Pupils were informed of their actual estimates by email two days prior to the final submission by the school.

The process this year, although not ideal, is light years away from the guestimates process we had last year. Yes, it could have been better, in particular the ridiculous pressure on pupils in May to complete assessments. As I've said before, that is entirely the fault of SQA and, by default, John Swinney. Decisions regards exams should have been made far sooner. Swinney should also have never trusted SQA on delivering assessments swiftly - the late issuing of assessments made the process far more difficult than it could and should have been.

Most centres I'm aware of ran two assessment diets - one in April; another in May.

This was stressful for kids in that it meant assessments were extremely frequent and didn't come surrounded by study leave.

The charge of 'exams by another name' was a fair one, but the alternative was no exams at all, and it's not as if that went well last year.  

The additional stress, however, has been offset by the fact that the better performance in each assessment element has been picked across the two.  This means that attainment is indeed proven this time, but also that the grades come from a highlights package.  

That, in my experience, is what will do most to enhance performance this year.

7 hours ago, Michael W said:

*cases in England looking on their way down*

Shit, lads, announce variant. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/covid-uk-variant-phe-latest-b1889378.html

Is this not one of the three 'variants' that were discovered in India as they were getting bombarded by their second wave? If so it's been known about for months and is irrelevant with Delta ruling the roost.

4 hours ago, Snafu said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/23/ministers-letting-young-people-catch-covid-to-prepare-for-winter-sage-adviser-claims

Sage adviser claims ministers trying to get as many as possible infected with Covid

Exclusive: Prof Robert West says rhetoric about caution is ‘a way of putting blame on public’

A scientist advising the government has accused ministers of allowing infections to rip through the younger population in an effort to bolster levels of immunity before the NHS faces winter pressures.

The allegation comes after England’s remaining Covid restrictions were eased on Monday, with nightclubs throwing open their doors for the first time in the pandemic and all rules on social distancing and mask wearing dropped even as infections run high.

Ministers were made aware of scientists’ concerns about reopening nightclubs and other crowded, close-contact and poorly ventilated venues without testing or other checks in place. On Monday Boris Johnson made the surprise announcement that Covid passports will be required for such settings – but not until the end of September, in two months’ time.

“What we are seeing is a decision by the government to get as many people infected as possible, as quickly as possible, while using rhetoric about caution as a way of putting the blame on the public for the consequences,” said Prof Robert West, a health psychologist at University College London who participates in Sage’s behavioural science subgroup.

“It looks like the government judges that the damage to health and healthcare services will be worth the political capital it will gain from this approach,” West said, adding that ministers appear to believe the strategy is now sustainable – unlike last year – because of the vaccine rollout.

Continued in the link.

Communist Michie's multi-millionaire husband must be gutted at the infection rates plummeting in recent days.