Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

Where is this 200,000 infections a day figure coming from?

Javid's used the standard multiplier that actual covid cases are 4-5x higher than are actually reported each day. 

It's always been acknowleded that cases are higher than reported, but it's the first time I can ever recall the government using this estimate in this way. 

2 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Norway implementing Covid restrictions due to Omicron.

Norway is setting record highs both in terms of new COVID-19 infections and hospitalisations, partly due to the spread of the Omicron variant of the virus.

Places with next to no immunity from natural infection and that are relying on vaccines only are going to find the transition to endemicity very challenging. See also: Finland, Australia, New Zealand, East Asia.

4 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Javid's used the standard multiplier that actual covid cases are 4-5x higher than are actually reported each day. 

It's always been acknowleded that cases are higher than reported, but it's the first time I can ever recall the government using this estimate in this way. 

That's quite a move of the goalposts. 

5 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I wonder what the number of all cause respiratory infections are in the population in any given year...

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Im still going out anyway, absolutely no chance ill be coming home too soon.

If the wife says she still fancies that gig, tell her not to go.

1 hour ago, Wee Bully said:

Have they cancelled all their gigs?  I’m meant to be seeing them in Stirling on Thursday and I’ve not heard anything yet.

You’ll turn up and find that the janitors have padlocked the gates.

1 hour ago, PedroMoutinho said:

If there genuinely are 200,000 infections a day now and omicron is as transmissible as claimed, this whole thing will be over in a few weeks as there’ll be no one left to infect.

Seems to be what's happening in South Africa. Whole country has had a cold, more or less.

Either that or insert discorecordsales.jpg.

11 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Did reading all the enlightened posts on here inspire you to make a come-back?

I thought I’d just come in and have a look, see what’s happening, maybe get some new interesting points of view on the events of the day. 

Of course, I really should have known better. 

The UK is quite literally being held to ransom by the modelling geeks who have been wrong time and again, because they continue to plug in utter junk rather than the reality on the ground in the epicentre. This isn't even remotely close to being acceptable.

5 hours ago, deegee said:

If anything, if shows a flaw in our electoral system

No it doesn't, we have a form of PR which is degrees of magnitude fairer than FPTP.

and an incredible lack of any credible opposition

The opposition is the Tories, and they are cunts.

Edited by Arch Stanton

5 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

No more circuit breakers please 

Don’t think I could handle another 2 week, 9 month long one again.

Iv been thinking about this tonight at work. I feel quite edgy today, and I can only put it down to actual anxiety at this shit. Not something iv ever been able to really identify before but its definitely affecting me in a negative way. I can feel it in my mind and physically.  

Who could have guessed that immunity from repeat exposure would end a respiratory virus pandemic the same as err... all others that have come before it - and not wearing a bit of cloth when going to break the seal after you've necked six pints.

6 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Who could have guessed that immunity from repeat exposure would end a respiratory virus pandemic the same as err... all others that have come before it - and not wearing a bit of cloth when going to break the seal after you've necked six pints.

It was never a given that there would be umpteen working vaccines against Covid-19, and no government (certainly not on this hellhole island) ever actually established what the plan was if no vaccine was attainable at any point over the last year.

I somehow think Omicron would be being presented completely differently if no vaccine existed.