Coronavirus (COVID-19)

14 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Just ran a Google search and there’s nothing to suggest Scottish government involvement with Cygnus.  Both the points you mention should be asked though.

From what I can see pandemic planning is not devolved.  Obviously such an occurrence has a huge impact on health, which is a devolved matter, but also goes way beyond that.

I think Jacksgranda’s point is more relevant.  Were they involved, were they appraised of the findings, if not why not?

I have my moments.

1 minute ago, Ross. said:

He looks a lot like I did at the same age, so long term it’s not looking good for him as it stands.

Congrats.  I’d hold off a wee bit before setting up an investment plan for his future!

12 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Heard on radio Scotland earlier that France are starting to come out on 11th May. 

Primary schools opening (under pretty strict conditions - and voluntary iirc), businesses starting to open. Masks mandatory on public transport, in shops etc. First sign of another spike they'll be locking back down again.

These are prediction of when the virus will stop in each country, not when the lock downs stop.

It's updated everyday.   You can find it all here.  https://ddi.sutd.edu.sg/when-will-covid-19-end

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing.  I'm just putting it out there, as I haven't seen anything like this study before. 

Am I allowed to get just a little bit depressed that, outwith the usual point-scoring, banter and ill-informed statements on here, it's only the senior posters like Jacksgranda, Granny Danger and myself who are actually fucking angry at what's happened, is happening and will happen? I mean deep down, raging, furious at what this government are being allowed to get away with?

Yes, allowed. This country actually elected a Government who had been proved to enact policies which killed its poorest citizens, and now seem surprised that they're really not that good at keeping people alive. Look around you, folks. you're probably never more than ten metres from some idiot who thought this shower of incompetents were the best option. (Yes, I know that Scotland can hold its head high to an extent, but there's still more of the vermin up there than there should be.)

9 minutes ago, Ross. said:

He looks a lot like I did at the same age, so long term it’s not looking good for him as it stands.

He's three weeks old? I'm not sure I could pick any baby out of a line-up at that age.

Not that there's a massive problem with neo-natal street gangs, tbf.

Congratulations, by the way. May he have health and happiness all his days.

So when England rolled out the online testing portal the other week Scotland was only 24 hours behind in joining.

Worrying we look to be much further behind extending tests to the new English criteria till at least the end of the week.

8 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Am I allowed to get just a little bit depressed that, outwith the usual point-scoring, banter and ill-informed statements on here, it's only the senior posters like Jacksgranda, Granny Danger and myself who are actually fucking angry at what's happened, is happening and will happen? I mean deep down, raging, furious at what this government are being allowed to get away with?

Yes, allowed. This country actually elected a Government who had been proved to enact policies which killed its poorest citizens, and now seem surprised that they're really not that good at keeping people alive. Look around you, folks. you're probably never more than ten metres from some idiot who thought this shower of incompetents were the best option. (Yes, I know that Scotland can hold its head high to an extent, but there's still more of the vermin up there than there should be.)

A couple of weeks ago when Johnson was in hospital people were saying he’s not as bad as Thatcher was.  I find that astounding.

I lived through the Thatcher years, her governments policies had a direct impact upon my family.  As far as I’m concerned the Tories over the last 15 years have wreaked havoc and have become steadily more dogmatic, leading to the election of Johnson as PM and a cabinet that includes the like of Patel, Raab, Mogg and Gove.

Austerity and the continued underfunding of the NHS, the failing of taking Cygnus seriously and the indifferent attitude in the crucial early weeks of this crisis collectively is as bad as anything Thatcher’s government did.

#greyrage

53 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

It needs to be a key element of the next election campaign.

The Labour Party (and others) don't want to be seen to be too critical whilst we're still going through this but they better be stockpiling this stuff for later.

There were clearly issues that were ignored in terms of preparation, and when you add that to the austerity cutbacks it's surely going to be a major election issue.

The care homes situation fits into the long term issues one as well, but the last Labour government hardly covered themselves in glory either so less likely to be an election issue. The lack of a fully funded public service of care is a disgrace. Privatisation always fucks over those at the bottom, and when something like this happens the problem is magnified.

The South Korea election result should worry the Tories. Few deaths and well managed testing = landslide for the governing party. Lots of deaths and few tests early in outbreak =possible election calamity? 

The public will soon turn against the tories on COViD19 

18 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I wouldn't class myself in that category, but I'm no happy clapper (literally or metaphorically) for the government. I don't think any western government has handled this well, particularly in comparison with South Korea, Singapore, Malaysia and New Zealand for example. But considering our government(s) had a minimum of two weeks start on all the rest of Europe - apart from perhaps the RoI, who haven't covered themselves in glory either, but have done better than we have - our response has been less than adequate.

ETA: If Covid-19 got in this house it would quite literally wipe out the three of us, so we're being fairly stringent re self isolating, washing hands, using sanitizer etc. The furthest my wife and I have been is leaving out the bins (she had to leave them out last week as I wasn't feeling too great.) Other than the front garden or back yard and one doctor's appointment each we haven't been out the door this 5 weeks.

We took our daughter out of the Day Centre she attends before the lockdown cam e in to 1/ protect ourselves and 2/ protect the other Day Centre clients. A Day Centre would be very similar to a Care Home for Covid transmission.

Edited by Jacksgranda

7 day average daily death figures for Scotland have remained static at around 50 for a considerable time now. This is based on the announced figures and therefore cannot be split into care home & hospital. Without knowing that split it's impossible to draw any conclusions from that.

On a brighter note, though, 7 day average daily new infections have started falling quite considerably.

Screenshot_20200429-153609_Opera.jpg

Screenshot_20200429-153534_Opera.jpg

Edited by Todd_is_God

5 minutes ago, superbigal said:

So when England rolled out the online testing portal the other week Scotland was only 24 hours behind in joining.

Worrying we look to be much further behind extending tests to the new English criteria till at least the end of the week.

Seems testing in Scotland is split between the Edinburgh and London authorities, hard to tell from this who's responsible.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-testing-for-key-workers-in-Scotland/

17 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

For me at least, I'm less angry about things than I used to be because I have lost hope that change is possible. We have had enough chances to change and it isn't happening. Tories gonna tories and the servile idiots will lap it up, and nothing's going to change

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Hugh Pennington says he wouldnt bet on there ever being an effective vaccine, and that he has no reason to believe there will be a massive second spike.

Thoughts on that anyone?

He's a microbiologist, not a virologist or epidemiologist. 

We've got more relevant folk than that to listen to (not the dentist bloke).

7 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

7 day average daily death figures for Scotland have remained static at around 50 for a considerable time now. This is based on the announced figures and therefore cannot be split into care home & hospital. Without knowing that split it's impossible to draw any conclusions from that.

On a brighter note, though, 7 day average daily new infections have started falling quite considerably.

Screenshot_20200429-153609_Opera.jpg

Screenshot_20200429-153534_Opera.jpg

That looks encouraging, to be fair.

30 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

These are prediction of when the virus will stop in each country, not when the lock downs stop.

It's updated everyday.   You can find it all here.  https://ddi.sutd.edu.sg/when-will-covid-19-end

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing.  I'm just putting it out there, as I haven't seen anything like this study before. 

Sorry mate I wasn't saying what you're saying was pish, or even what the research said was pish. Just passing on what I'd heard on the radio, more because I fou D it interesting that much of France's reopening appears to be voluntary, including schools opening. 

2 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

He's a microbiologist, not a virologist or epidemiologist. 

We've got more relevant folk than that to listen to (not the dentist bloke).

But is he an expert? If he is, he can be safely ignored.

14 minutes ago, superbigal said:

The criteria can be whatever you like if you don’t actually have the tests to carry them out.  Currently there is absolutely no chance that all meeting the criteria or even a reasonable percentage can be tested.