Coronavirus (COVID-19)

That's cooncil just been round again, this time 2  lovely teachers from my sons school.

The goodies this time were;

30 eggs

10 packets of instant noodles, all different flavours

30 cartons of blue top milk (school milk)

600g of baby milk formula (as i have a child under 4)

well pleased with that. 

13 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

I'm not a fan of supermarkets making everyone take a trolley despite if there's 2of you going in, or if you just want a couple of loads of bread or whatever. It doesn't increase social distancing and instead forces less space within the shopping aisles to get past.

^^^^ hoarder found

30 minutes ago, renton said:

Well the strength of TTI lies in being able to trace and contact. That way any new cluster that pops up can be quickly isolated. Above a certain R number it becomes impossible to trace with confidence any given infection vector since the general infection rate is high enough that it all tangles together. Hence why the answer to that is to pursue isolation for everyone - lockdown.

The R value has to be low enough to do two things: First, so that the infection rate does not immediately explode back up and two to allow TTI to pick up the slack. There is little value in the Trace and Isolate sections of TTI before that point. Better to spend the time building a sustainable infrastructure for it. I note that the NHS contact team jobsite is up with applications until 22nd May. So if the numbers hold and we are looking at early June when the R value in the general population drops low enough, then it all meshes together so far.

But R0 has been very low for weeks now - there's no reason to think it will drop lower in the general population. That's why we are past the peak. The current 'lockdown' is not literally a lockdown, so TTI would still be useful. We should have been recruiting before we even got to the peak, not starting to recruit several weeks past it.

Edited by bendan

10 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I know it’s not meant to be pleasant right now, but going shopping etc really is a horrible experience. Some workers and customers all masked up, the Perspex dividers and so much more. Even the local chippy staff were masked up today and I was only allowed to stand at the door and wait for my order. 

They're just being sensible.

17 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

That's cooncil just been round again, this time 2  lovely teachers from my sons school.

The goodies this time were;

30 eggs

10 packets of instant noodles, all different flavours

30 cartons of blue top milk (school milk)

600g of baby milk formula (as i have a child under 4)

well pleased with that. 

Sounds like a @BigFatTabbyDave dine in special.

40 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The vast majority of people in England don’t use public transport to get to work. I think it’s about 20% who do and that will be even less outside of London. Not to say that it won’t be an issue but public transport is generally used far less than private cars.

I take it car sharing won’t he looked upon favourably then? Guys at my work travel to work in van loads of 3-7 people in them as well and taking their own transport isn’t going to be an option for them getting to work. 

1 minute ago, throbber said:

I take it car sharing won’t he looked upon favourably then? Guys at my work travel to work in van loads of 3-7 people in them as well and taking their own transport isn’t going to be an option for them getting to 

Perspex shielding between each person in the van was mentioned last night by boris

5 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Perspex shielding between each person in the van was mentioned last night by boris

I’m sure it will be a piece of piss to sort that one out for every transit van in the country. 

56 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The vast majority of people in England don’t use public transport to get to work. I think it’s about 20% who do and that will be even less outside of London. Not to say that it won’t be an issue but public transport is generally used far less than private cars.

You’re probably right.  What’s your solution for the 20% who do?

7 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

You’re probably right.  What’s your solution for the 20% who do?

There clearly isn't any solution other than stay at home or accept increased risk. 

1 hour ago, bendan said:

But you'd pay proportionately more tax  and (for most people) NI on that 40%, would need to pay for transportation, and you'd probably spend quite a bit on lunch, snacks and other work-induced spending. So it's quite a bit over half net income with fewer outgoings, not taking into account that simply having time to do stuff yourself saves money.

The idea behind reducing it to 60% was to ease you back to work by allowing you to work part-time with your employer.

i.e. if you normally work 40 hours you'd work 16 and be paid 100% of your salary for it (60% govt, 40% employer).

It would have no impact on the tax or ni you normally paid, and would allow for your employer to trade at a reduced turnover without laying people off.

11 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

I did have a chuckle when it was mentioned 

It’s the perfect place for the virus to spread but it’s around about the type of people who absolutely won’t be taking it seriously. A good 60% of guys who are sharing vans to work at my company are old firm supporters.

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

The idea behind reducing it to 60% was to ease you back to work by allowing you to work part-time with your employer.

i.e. if you normally work 40 hours you'd work 16 and be paid 100% of your salary for it (60% govt, 40% employer).

It would have no impact on the tax or ni you normally paid, and would allow for your employer to trade at a reduced turnover without laying people off.

Yes, that is the quite sensible idea behind it.

4 minutes ago, bendan said:

There clearly isn't any solution other than stay at home or accept increased risk. 

The increased risk of death or serious illness to your average rush hour tube user is pretty minimal.

Providing they don't start running around meeting vulnerable friends and family, any increase in deaths would be small