Coronavirus (COVID-19)

If - and it's a big if - his child does have autism, then I do have a (very, very slight) degree of sympathy for him, given my own circumstances.
That being said, there will be a large amount of parents of autistic children around the country who have gotten ill and soldiered on with no external childcare as that's what they believed they should be doing.
My own kids haven't seen any of their friends / family for nine weeks. Granted my wife and I haven't been ill.
If your child is autistic, the last thing you do is go on a 5-hour car journey with them.

In any case it does not explain why he went on further trips to Castle Barnard and back to London in the period he was meant to be in isolation.

And he was in London on 14 April when he should have still been in isolation.

There is no fucking excuse.

Just now, welshbairn said:

Presumably you wouldn't take them there after a 5 hour drive with an infectious mother though. 

No. I'd get my mum to come and get them.

As I've said, if there is truth in the autism story, then I have a degree of sympathy for and understanding of him.

There are still loads of unanswered questions, however.

Just now, DeeTillEhDeh said:

If your child is autistic, the last thing you do is go on a 5-hour car journey with them.

Autism =/= autism.

My kids love being in the car for a while. It soothes them. We put nursery rhymes / Disney on and they look out the window. They quite happily sit there for hours.

It’s not exactly an official source but a guy has traced the very first mention of ‘Cummings’ and ‘autism’ in the same Tweet.

The account has since been deleted.

If that’s the excuse it’s a dreadful thing to have to say but there’s going to have to be some proof. We can’t believe anything we’re told by this shower whatsoever.

Even if it is true it still doesn’t explain how Cummings ‘knew’ he was going to become so ill that he couldn’t manage childcare. This is a mild virus for most people. The claim is he was fine at the time of the journey, and that despite both parents being ill the child never needed care.

2 minutes ago, marty_j said:

Could his sister not have drove from Durham and picked kid up?

That's what I don't get.

A wee bit different but when I fell ill suddenly with no childcare I asked someone to come to me to keep my child in familiar surroundings whilst I recovered. Mr and Mrs Cummings could have isolated in a different part of their house. It's not exactly like they are living in a 1 bedroom flat.

2 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
3 minutes ago, Gaz said:
Autism =/= autism.
My kids love being in the car for a while. It soothes them. We put nursery rhymes / Disney on and they look out the window. They quite happily sit there for hours.

No piss stop?

No, both my girls (5 and 7) are still in nappies / pullups. This is quite common for kids with autism.

2 minutes ago, Paco said:

It’s not exactly an official source but a guy has traced the very first mention of ‘Cummings’ and ‘autism’ in the same Tweet.

If that’s the excuse it’s a dreadful thing to have to say but there’s going to have to be some proof. We can’t believe anything we’re told by this shower whatsoever.

Even if it is true it still doesn’t explain how Cummings ‘knew’ he was going to become so ill that he couldn’t manage childcare. This is a mild virus for most people. The claim is he was fine at the time of the journey, and that despite both parents being ill the child never needed care.

Aaron Banks is trying to amplify it, thought it might be him who started it. 

This is a bit bizarre.  If he’s resigning then what is to gained by a statement and a q&a?  If he’s not does he seriously think he can talk his way out of this?

Shapps and Johnson ignored some questions and refused to answer others; he will find it far more difficult.

For example if he says he didn’t stop on the way to Durham and later it’s proved he did then he’s toast and it will reflect badly on Johnson.  Equally if he admits stopping whilst sharing a car with someone with symptoms it will be inexcusable.

Equally he will find it impossible to avoid answering questions about Barnard Castle.

I hope he gets crucified.

1 minute ago, Paco said:

"leftwaffe" 

Definitely originally written in crayon by Boris Johnson himself 

4 minutes ago, Paco said:

No journalist is going to ask someone for proof their child has a medical condition.

I reckon it's all part of the overall planned approach to trying to play this out - Boris up yesterday giving us all two fingers and the 4pm Q&A today, precisely planned to get 24-48 hours to get all the stories straight. Even after this there's no way of this going away and if they manage to wriggle along for another little while i'm sure there'll be something else that'll pop up that they'll need to deny.

This only needs to sway the middle Englanders that are desperate for any excuse. This is the perfect pitch. Hiding behind his autistic son will be the defense and that'll be that - There'll be an all out offense against the media trashing him.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

This is a bit bizarre.  If he’s resigning then what is to gained by a statement and a q&a?  If he’s not does he seriously think he can talk his way out of this?

Shapps and Johnson ignored some questions and refused to answer others; he will find it far more difficult.

For example if he says he didn’t stop on the way to Durham and later it’s proved he did then he’s toast and it will reflect badly on Johnson.  Equally if he admits stopping whilst sharing a car with someone with symptoms it will be inexcusable.

Equally he will find it impossible to avoid answering questions about Barnard Castle.

I hope he gets crucified.

The autism thing is the perfect excuse. It immediately lets all the things he's done fall into the "permitted" category, and also gives BoJo an out as to why he didn't discuss it yesterday (not his place to discuss someone else's child's medical conditions). No journalist is going to ask for proof.

It is absolutely bulletproof.

I want this man to suffer, and suffer badly. Total humiliation and professional life left in absolute tatters.

If that makes me petty, so be it. I want it and I desperately hope it comes to pass. It will turn what has been a completely run of the mill day into a good one.

Just now, Gaz said:

The autism thing is the perfect excuse. It immediately lets all the things he's done fall into the "permitted" category, and also gives BoJo an out as to why he didn't discuss it yesterday (not his place to discuss someone else's child's medical conditions). No journalist is going to ask for proof.

It is absolutely bulletproof.

Only if it's true.