Coronavirus (COVID-19)

9 minutes ago, madwullie said:

I'm not criticising it because it's the snp, it's because I think it's wrong. There will be plenty snp members whose kids will be affected by this. It goes beyond party politics imo (as does CV) 

I'm not particularly interested in the grades of English students. I know their government is a wreck. I believe ours can do better. 

I absolutely agree that it does go beyond party politics. But for Union Twitter, it won't. This will be widely ignored by those who were Tweeting #KRANKIEOUT on Wednesday.

Just now, Gaz said:

I absolutely agree that it does go beyond party politics. But for Union Twitter, it won't. This will be widely ignored by those who were Tweeting #KRANKIEOUT on Wednesday.

Ah fair fucks. I've been avoiding twitter recently as the anti-maskers were destroying my will to live. TBF that would have done my head in as well

36 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

It's not really that hard to follow.

Masks and distancing is fine.

Unless hospital admissions show signs of increasing we should continue to gradually open more and more.

Panicking and closing things again because a few young people test positive is nonsense.

Selfish p***ks. Don’t they know they could kill their granny 😏

38 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

It's not really that hard to follow.

Masks and distancing is fine.

Unless hospital admissions show signs of increasing we should continue to gradually open more and more.

Panicking and closing things again because a few young people test positive is nonsense.

Not true, if cases keep rising by more each day then people will start to panic again and the government will feel pressure into taking harder measures even though their advisers say it isn't necessary and they ( government) don't want to implement them.  keeping cases low keeps confidence high.  if we were to run like this for say 3 or 4 months ( so long as the cases don't turn into many deaths or icu admissions later in the month) then by that point a dozen or so deaths a month will be acceptable to the public and a lot of things will get quietly dropped, no big announcement next time - if the schools going back doesn't cause a flare up it will be the beginning of the end for social distancing.  Big "if" tho. you heard it here first

Edited by effeffsee_the2nd

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

I see that 40% of estimated grades are to be marked down in England, where there is no right of appeal.

I'm sure those that have criticised the SNP over the past few days will be applying equal criticism (if not more) to the Conservative government at Westminster.

I would think the fragmented non centralised examination boards won’t have helped the situation down there.

Just now, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Not true, if cases keep rising by more each day then people will start to panic again and the government will feel pressure into taking harder measures even though their advisers say it isn't necessary and they ( government) don't want to implement them.  

If the government find themselves in that position then they really have no one to blame other than themselves.

Still waiting on that adult conversation we were promised too.

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

I see that 40% of estimated grades are to be marked down in England, where there is no right of appeal.

I'm sure those that have criticised the SNP over the past few days will be applying equal criticism (if not more) to the Conservative government at Westminster.

Eh, yes? Why must every single thing in Scottish politics be viewed through a constitutional lens? So boring and so tiresome. Being a degree better than England really shouldn’t be the height of our ambition.

Why must so many SNP supporters be so unambitious for Scotland, that they can’t accept it that there might even be the tiniest possibility that the Scottish Government could do more or better? And I’m pro-independence, before the standard “yoon” retorts begin. 

Edited by VladimirMooc

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Entrenching deprivation is pretty much the modus operandi of the Tory government, and this is probably pretty far down the list of ways they have done it. This is what we expect from them. It's also less relevant to me given that it affects children in a different country and isn't a decision made (indirectly) by my elected representatives.

In contrast, the Scottish government could and should be doing better on this, I certainly think we should be holding them to much higher standards than those in Westminster.

Wrong
Screenshot_20200807-184346_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7fee357e58f8f4333faab00615121ba6.jpg
The govt data issued today (the ones the were citing for imposing the neasures) says infection rate over the last 7 days running at 33 per 100k of population. The population of Preston is 140k, you do the sums. Do you honestly think authorities would impose measures on a city with 7 cases in the last week ? That figure is the average since mid June.

15 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:
Wrong
Screenshot_20200807-184346_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7fee357e58f8f4333faab00615121ba6.jpg

The govt data issued today (the ones the were citing for imposing the neasures) says infection rate over the last 7 days running at 33 per 100k of population. The population of Preston is 140k, you do the sums. Do you honestly think authorities would impose measures on a city with 7 cases in the last week ? That figure is the average since mid June.

"New cases of Covid-19 in Preston increased substantially with 47 (33 per 100,000 population) in the week to Monday, compared with 29 (20 per 100,000) the week before. A further 17 cases were recorded on Tuesday."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-lancashire-53678427?__twitter_impression=true

Your insatiable desire to show me to be wrong is impairing your ability to read and comprehend information.

Your math to arrive at 47 cases from a ratio of 33 per100,000 is sound. But the mistake you have made is not reading "in the week to Monday" and assuming that is a daily figure.

47 cases in a week is 6.7 (rounded to 7) per day

Do I honestly think authorities would impose restrictions on a city based on 7 cases in a week? No. But why is that relevant?

Edited by Todd_is_God

12 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It's moved about a bit over the years, but coursework usually counts for quite a bit in most subjects right now.  Indeed, in some, it's actually the entire story.

Why do you see an increase in such elements as desirable?  

In areas like N5 PE, there is no exam - it's entirely internally assessed.  The result of this is that outcomes are ridiculously good, way out of line with what the same pupils achieve in other subjects.  It can therefore be argued that such an assessment model suits people better.  It's more accurate, however, to recognise that it invites the sort of teacher input that other subjects don't.  I don't see that as intrinsically fairer.

One of the main arguments about the low esteem in which N4 qualifications are generally held, is that the courses lack an exam.

Someone I know has passed their N4 courses - and they said they didn't finish any of them. They have friends in the same boat.

Curious as to whether their school decided to estimate that they'd have passed or just banked on not being moderated due to the SQA being too busy with the appeals of the other qualifications.

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

"New cases of Covid-19 in Preston increased substantially with 47 (33 per 100,000 population) in the week to Monday, compared with 29 (20 per 100,000) the week before. A further 17 cases were recorded on Tuesday."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-lancashire-53678427?__twitter_impression=true

Your insatiable desire to show me to be wrong is impairing your ability to read and comprehend information.

Your math to arrive at 47 cases from a ratio of 33 per100,000 is sound. But the mistake you have made is not reading "in the week to Monday" and assuming that is a daily figure.

47 cases in a week is 6.7 (rounded to 7) per day

Do I honestly think authorities would impose restrictions on a city based on 7 cases in a week? No. But why is that relevant?

Mods, please

3 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

Someone I know has passed their N4 courses - and they said they didn't finish any of them. They have friends in the same boat.

Curious as to whether their school decided to estimate that they'd have passed or just banked on not being moderated due to the SQA being too busy with the appeals of the other qualifications.

I'd imagine it would be that the school had estimated that they'd have passed.  

It's legitimate enough as far as I'm concerned.  It's inferred attainment. 

It's really no different from all those who'd not completed N5, Higher or Advanced Higher courses.  An estimate of what would be achieved were the course concluded conventionally, was similarly required in those more numerous instances.

22 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with this.