Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Still no English numbers. Journalists reporting at least 15k more ‘missing’ positives and contact tracers being referred cases from mid-September.

I seem to remember the Prime Minister saying on national TV it wasn’t an issue and was all sorted, which was *checks notes* this morning.

2 hours ago, LondonHMFC said:

Downloaded the app on Wednesday, and have now had two notifications that I've been in close proximity with somebody who has shown signs. When I click the notification, just goes to the app with no further detail. 

Assuming if I had to self isolate, it would come up on the app itself. 

Presume you're in England, as its been reported there is a problem with the app there giving these 'false' proximity alerts.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-some-users-of-nhs-tracing-app-incorrectly-given-covid-19-exposure-alerts-12086225

Just now, Paco said:

Still no English numbers. Journalists reporting at least 15k more ‘missing’ positives and contact tracers being referred cases from mid-September.

I seem to remember the Prime Minister saying on national TV it wasn’t an issue and was all sorted, which was *checks notes* this morning.

What would be the point in this, they won't be infectious any more?

Just now, Steven W said:

I've lost faith in her to be honest

In terms of doing our own thing? Or just FMs general decisions making?

Im not so keen on the circuit breaker - I think the October holidays are a good time o have a break if the closure of schools lowers the rate of infection I think over the winter period, until the February holidays then we should be looking at blended learning. If the break in schools doesn't lower the infection then I guess limiting people mixing in houses is as much as you can do without ruining the economy.

I think we will look back and be able to properly critique the FMs decisions but I have a lot of sympathy that she can't really do exactly what she wants as she has no borrowing powers to help sectors out if their business is shut/ limited operation. We can't borrow to revolutionise our teaching etc.

Johnson will implement it in England once its clear Scotland is doing it too. He'll wait for Sturgeon to announce it first then say it won't happen in England, with the classic u-turn the very next day, probably after Hancock has gone out and briefed that it definitely won't happen. 

23k cases though, hahaha. This is a genuine scandal. Another big f**k-off data dump. 

Edit: @avds on Twitter reases some good stuff breaking down the positive tests by sample date. Will be interesting to see how long ago these cases happened. 

Edited by Michael W

Just now, Michael W said:

Johnson will implement it in England once its clear Scotland is doing it too. He'll wait for Sturgeon to announce it first then say it won't happen in England, with the classic u-turn the very next day, probably after Hancock has gone out and briefed that it definitely won't happen. 

23k cases though, hahaha. This is a genuine scandal. Another big f**k-off data dump. 

How could we afford it? Or we just going to tell all the businesses to pay their staff for 2 weeks whilst they have no income either that or the circuit breaker is going to be so weak it won't have any effect. 

9 minutes ago, 101 said:

In terms of doing our own thing? Or just FMs general decisions making?

Im not so keen on the circuit breaker - I think the October holidays are a good time o have a break if the closure of schools lowers the rate of infection I think over the winter period, until the February holidays then we should be looking at blended learning. If the break in schools doesn't lower the infection then I guess limiting people mixing in houses is as much as you can do without ruining the economy.

I think we will look back and be able to properly critique the FMs decisions but I have a lot of sympathy that she can't really do exactly what she wants as she has no borrowing powers to help sectors out if their business is shut/ limited operation. We can't borrow to revolutionise our teaching etc.

Granted it's an unenviable job at the minute, but I don't think it's been handled well.

Coming out of lockdown much slower than everywhere else on the premise that we'll get our reward for being patient, only to find ourselves going into another lockdown of sorts just a couple of months later sticks in my throat.

Among other things, but I can't be bothered typing just now. 

Edited by Steven W

3 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Granted it's an unenviable job at the minute, but I don't think it's been handled well.

Coming out of lockdown much slower than everywhere else on the premise that we'll get our reward for being patient, only to find ourselves going into another lockdown of sorts just a couple of months later sticks in my throat.

Among other things, but I can't be bothered typing just now. 

We locked down much later than most mainland European countries and opened hospitality up earlier than some, for example Ireland only let wet pubs open on the 21st September (23rd for N.Ireland) , they closed on the 15th March (ours 20th March) 

I would have liked to see all outdoor industry open before the indoor sector as its odd that I can watch football at my local cinema with a beer but can watch it live and outdoors.

Nicola on 23rd September:

"It is also the case - and we know this from our experience earlier this year - that acting quickly and decisively against the virus is essential.

"In other words, if we believe further action will be required there is nothing to be gained - and potentially much to be lost, including lives - from delay."

Let's wait until the middle of October then, which will result in an even longer lockdown.

i cant simon cowell GIF by America's Got Talent

Irish version of SAGE recommending a four week total lockdown, and Paris is closing bars/restaurants for 15 days.

The circuit break is happening lads. Get used to it.
Aye it is an inevitability. The sooner it is announced this week about the lockdown, the better for letting people get used to the idea.

Not going to be overly bothered by one either, I'll still be working during the week and although I have a week off next week, will happily fill it with dog walks and some lazy days.