Coronavirus (COVID-19)

57 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The question was very absolute like "Did you ever leave the house?" A lot might have just gone for a walk around the block.

Taking an extreme risk flying to the USA for exercise purposes. Deserve all they get IMO.

A quick flick through that Twitter account shows who ever runs it was a bit of a fanny. Tweeting "f**k Covid" followed by a chain of tweets greeting about the new restrictions really isn't a good look.
Most licenced premise are taking it seriously and certainly wouldn't have filmed their clientele breaking the rules.
Absolutely idiotic to put the video from last night on. They will almost certainly get a wee visit from their local licensing officer, why draw their attention to it?

2 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

I was driving thru central Edinburgh last night (Then thru Linlithgow as the M9 was shut) and I can now much more fully understand how hospitality increases the spread.  Wasn't in any pubs/restaurants, but repeatedly saw people outside waiting for taxis, having a smoke etc, cuddling/hugging each other, high fiving, shaking hands, all that sort of usual behaviour.

Couple of drinks, any notions of social distancing goes.  Maybe not inside, but once out on the street where there are no obvious reminders of guidance of how to behave safely.

Shutting pubs will help to decrease the spread a little, the only problem is, a significant number of those idiots you saw outside are probably going to invite their pals to their house for a drink instead.

You only need to look at the number of people on here who can't accept the simple fact that immaterial of the younger generation generally not being badly impacted by coronavirus, the more people get the virus, the quicker it spreads, and that inevitably leads to more & more people being seriously ill and dying from it.

1 hour ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Interesting to read the replies to this with lots of people making links to education reopening with next to no restrictions and the surge in cases a couple of weeks later.

This article was linked in one of the replies:

Children may be silent carriers of Covid-19

It's beginning to look like the only way we can really have schools and universities open and not have it contribute to a rise in infections is if we have a properly run test & trace system. One where people can get tested and have their results on the same day, where there is a system in place to support the person who has to then isolate, and that if needed their household can also be supported to self-isolate (financially & practically). Then you'd need everyone to be willing to stay at home for the whole two weeks and not be stupid... not sure which of these is the most pie in the sky.

Could we live with draconian action like this? 

S Korean accused of lying to COVID-19 investigators sent to jail

3 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
52 minutes ago, 101 said:
A quick flick through that Twitter account shows who ever runs it was a bit of a fanny. Tweeting "f**k Covid" followed by a chain of tweets greeting about the new restrictions really isn't a good look.
Most licenced premise are taking it seriously and certainly wouldn't have filmed their clientele breaking the rules.

Absolutely idiotic to put the video from last night on. They will almost certainly get a wee visit from their local licensing officer, why draw their attention to it?

Because that's their "brand" selfish aresholes who don't care about anyone else, a cursory glance at their Twitter is all it takes to come to that conclusion.

1 minute ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Pubs and restaurants getting thumped due to them being dangerous places for spreading the virus makes me wonder about the cut price eating out (steady, Kenneth) scheme of a few weeks back. What was the point? 

Well, I did see an article where that was brought up. Apparently, it boosted demand for eating out well above what would have been normal pre Covid.

1 hour ago, Tynierose said:

Shites it from the Boss chair type post...

I remember when moons ago in Saughton going into the digger and the officer opening the door only to find the con bent over scooping a phone and a charger out his arse.  It was a big phone too.

Ah the old days...

The Old days, indeed - they've got a big shiny pole now to detect on reception. The BOSS chair is history..

I never saw it live, but I did see a Blackberry - a fucking Blackberry! -which one of our little angels had plugged. Makes my eyes water even now, just thinking about it.

1 hour ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

With infections as high as they are now, you would think blended learning may reduce infections but not get them down to a level that the government is satisfied with. Had it started as intended in August then infections would be lower but who knows if they would be sufficiently lower?

The only way I can see the government getting cases down to June/July levels is with a proper lockdown like the one in March but that is not going to happen and compliance would be far lower anyway this time. Plus it would cause even more pain for the economy and the mental health of the nation, as well as those with other conditions being put on hold until the country opens up again.

Still waiting on the government having this "adult conversation" about living with the virus.

I guess you either have Schools as low or non important transmitters, or you have schools as massive asymptomatic case loads driving the whole pandemic. In either case, blended learning is not the answer.

If schools are not huge drivers, then the inconvenience of blended learning outweighs the risk of them being fully open.

If schools are super asymptomatic clusters then blended learning won't do nearly enough to drive it down to low levels. You either shut them and go to remote learning, or you put in place a weekly or even bi weekly cadence of mass testing.  Either rest everyone and isolate the individuals or take a representative sample and shut the school when prevelance goes above a certain threshold.

Now would be a good time to put a plan in place to find out definitively.

Edited by renton

19 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

A new record.

How has this been allowed to happen after the cases were so low a couple of months ago?

Westminster still waiting until Monday before introducing new restrictions for the north of England.

The UK GOV were criticised heavily in March for dithering and acting too late, unfortunately it seems they haven't learned from their mistakes. They're planning a debate and then a vote in parliament "early next week" before even talking about introducing new measures, honestly, what a shambles.

It also appears that the over 100 deaths recorded by the Czech Republic today has failed to grab any headlines and one would think that 2 to 3 weeks from now the UK will be back to recording daily deaths in the hundreds and it will somehow seem like a shock that it's happened !!

21 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

The Old days, indeed - they've got a big shiny pole now to detect on reception. The BOSS chair is history..

I never saw it live, but I did see a Blackberry - a fucking Blackberry! -which one of our little angels had plugged. Makes my eyes water even now, just thinking about it.

Not quite a phone but a can of super lager and a packet of fags ive seen.

1 hour ago, Tynierose said:

Shites it from the Boss chair type post...

I remember when moons ago in Saughton going into the digger and the officer opening the door only to find the con bent over scooping a phone and a charger out his arse.  It was a big phone too.

Ah the old days...

1 minute ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Not quite a phone but a can of super lager and a packet of fags ive seen.

I feel I've been wasting the potential storage room down there all these years. It's like having a divan bed with drawers and not making use of them.

10 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

The UK GOV were criticised heavily in March for dithering and acting too late, unfortunately it seems they haven't learned from their mistakes. They're planning a debate and then a vote in parliament "early next week" before even talking about introducing new measures, honestly, what a shambles.

They're about to announce emergency closures of non-essential businesses that will come into effect from the third Sunday following the second Thursday after Whitsun.

Not sure if this was shared but an interview with Hugh Pennington about the virus, he says some interesting things about schools, though I'd like to know where he's getting his figures from, and also talks about superspreaders, much like the Zeynep Tufecki article that's been shared a few times, the Pareto principle etc.

https://reaction.life/hugh-pennington-interview-covid-19-is-about-superspreading-and-there-is-no-second-wave/

The BBC and others were reporting on Wednesday that people who resided in certain health board areas were advised not to travel outwith those areas. However the information on the SG website makes no mention of this advisory "restriction".

https://www.gov.scot/news/new-moves-to-stop-covid-19-spread/

ETA: It would be helpful, not to mention consistent, if they updated their information on the SG site to marry up with what is being said in the chamber / daily briefings.

Edited by RiG

47 minutes ago, renton said:

I guess you either have Schools as low or non important transmitters, or you have schools as massive asymptomatic case loads driving the whole pandemic. In either case, blended learning is not the answer.

If schools are not huge drivers, then the inconvenience of blended learning outweighs the risk of them being fully open.

If schools are super asymptomatic clusters then blended learning won't do nearly enough to drive it down to low levels. You either shut them and go to remote learning, or you put in place a weekly or even bi weekly cadence of mass testing.  Either rest everyone and isolate the individuals or take a representative sample and shut the school when prevelance goes above a certain threshold.

Now would be a good time to put a plan in place to find out definitively.

Indeed. 

What isn't going to help is the government doing absolutely nothing. Even something as simple as masks have been shown to reduce transmission in schools. I posted a link to a Canadian journalist yesterday who reported that 25% of schools in Quebec had had positive cases whilst the figure was less than 7% in Ontario. Quebec opened with no restrictions whilst Ontario have mandatory masks in schools.

Germany hasn't seen a surge in cases like the UK since reopening education:

Coronavirus: Children return to schools in Germany, in the heat, wearing a mask

All secondary school students in the western state of North Rhine-Westphalia — about two million in total — have to cover their mouths and noses: in the schoolyard, in lessons, in the hallways. It's all aimed at stopping the spread of the coronavirus. 

Inside, school principal Ursula Dreeser explains the measures that she and her colleagues have taken. Different entrances for different classes, regularly opening the windows, social distancing throughout the school and grounds.

Cases are increasing there but not at the same rate as in this country.

It would be too little too late for the UK but surely putting in similar measures would at least help reduce transmission, particularly when there is no mass testing and most people are asymptomatic.

Edited by Szamo's_Ammo

3 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:
3 hours ago, virginton said:
Not this utter bullshit again.
In reality the overwhelming majority of people in their 20s and 30s don't even know that they've got/had the virus: such is the complete non-event that it is to their health. That's one of the reasons why it is difficult to contain: if healthy people were getting floored with full Ebola symptoms then you'd know all about having the Covid.

Its not bullshit, long covid is a thing and healthy people are dying or being effected badly.

3 hours ago, madwullie said:

None of which counters his point that thousands of young people have (what could be) long term damage from their infection 

What evidence is there of 'thousands of people' in the UK suffering from 'long Covid': which btw at this stage amounts to 'common delayed recovery from a viral infection' seeing as we're only eight months down the line anyway?

Do a tiny minority of people have lasting effects? Yes. I doubt that it's a more likely outcome for someone of healthy age than being involved in a car accident this year though.