Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Health is a devolved matter it is none of his business.

If Labour think there should be a lockdown in Wales or Scotland then surely it is Drakesford and Leonard to say this not him.
And argue for such within the devolved parliaments. Although my initial post was as much about how utterly irrelevant Labour and their branch office are in Scotland as anything else.

42 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
58 minutes ago, Lurkst said:
Believe it or not there are cricket fans in Scotland who support the English despite having no connection to England. 
Probably because Scotland have never had a test team.

There are at least 2 of us on this forum.

13 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Health is a devolved matter it is none of his business.

If Labour think there should be a lockdown in Wales or Scotland then surely it is Drakesford and Leonard to say this not him.

So it should be Douglas Ross rather than Johnson if the Tories think it?

This is where it gets silly.

Starmer is leader of the opposition in the UK.  As such, he's entitled to a voice on this, whether or not you share his view.

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

So it should be Douglas Ross rather than Johnson if the Tories think it?

This is where it gets silly.

Starmer is leader of the opposition in the UK.  As such, he's entitled to a voice on this, whether or not you share his view.

It is only “silly” if you don’t understand the concept of devolved government.

Oh, I see.

13 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

The deferral rate for January and February birthdays was 44% in 2018, so it's a significant amount that are held back the year.

S1 and Year 7 are both the first year of secondary school, and have the biggest age overlap (6 months plus a proportion of a further 2). That's the angle I was taking in them being the most comparable.

Yes, there's logic there, in that the virus' effect seems related to chronological age, but obviously isn't impacted by educational stage.

I think though that questions on school provision, unless the treatment remains blanket in nature, will have to consider both.

For that reason, I think that considering Y7 -Y11as broadly similar to P7 - S4 makes sense.  Obviously though, the big difference is that in England, those years are educated at the same schools (which is why they'll be statistically divided that way); whereas here that would span both Primary and Secondary.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Oh, I see.

I absolutely understand it.

Devolved government isn't divorced government.  I think and hope we're heading for the latter, but in the meantime, our fate in this has plenty to do with UK politicians.

2 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

I have no problem with people being English. I have a problem with people dividing themselves up as different nationalities as if it makes the blindest bit of difference. Where were you born, out of interest? 

This is poor from someone who usually posts against bigoted views.

It’s been talked about plenty on here before why basing what nationality someone is on where they are born is ridiculous and hugely unfair. There are loads of factors involved in deciding what nationality someone is and they’re entitled to feel they have roots in more than one country, in which they just happened to be born in.

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I absolutely understand it.

Devolved government isn't divorced government.  I think and hope we're heading for the latter, but in the meantime, our fate in this has plenty to do with UK politicians.

I do t disagree with the second part, we cannot ignore U.K. politics whilst we are still part of the U.K.

However we should be challenging politicians every time they try to undermine devolved government as it stands. 

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

I do t disagree with the second part, we cannot ignore U.K. politics whilst we are still part of the U.K.

However we should be challenging politicians every time they try to undermine devolved government as it stands. 

Perhaps there's a point along these lines to be made here.

The "It's none of his business" line is petty however.  It does nothing to enhance the idea of devolved administrations cooperating - something I'd see as desirable right now.

1 hour ago, Lurkst said:

Believe it or not there are cricket fans in Scotland who support the English despite having no connection to England. 

Probably because Scotland have never had a test team.

Why England? How no West Indies, Australia, New Zealand, I could go on but I'll no.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Your take on these matters always strikes me as no less chauvinistic than that which you parody above.

I'll paraphrase a failed ex-football manager - Who is that guy! We demand to know!

14 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I was gonnae say that

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Perhaps there's a point along these lines to be made here.

The "It's none of his business" line is petty however.  It does nothing to enhance the idea of devolved administrations cooperating - something I'd see as desirable right now.

How dae ye see that happening when ALL the unionist parties support Trident being based at Faslane and Scotland paying for expensive English projects. How do we cooperate with Westminster?

Also as Westminster holds the purse strings where is the cooperation from them?

2 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

Why England? How no West Indies, Australia, New Zealand, I could go on but I'll no.

I'll paraphrase a failed ex-football manager - Who is that guy! We demand to know!

I was gonnae say that

How dae ye see that happening when ALL the unionist parties support Trident being based at Faslane and Scotland paying for expensive English projects. How do we cooperate with Westminster?

Have you ever persuaded anyone to change their view on independence?

4 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

I was gonnae say that

You're precisely the sort of prejudiced twit the Independence Movement would fare better without.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

12 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

England were/are the team Scottish cricketers play test matches for. It's effectively TeamGB in the sport.

Back when the only TV options there were during the summer holidays was the test card or watching England play cricket many up here chose the latter.

England were/are the team Scottish cricketers play test matches for. It's effectively TeamGB in the sport.
Back when the only TV options there were during the summer holidays was the test card or watching England play cricket many up here chose the latter.

Also its not actually England its the English and Welsh cricket board. Bit of a mouthful.