Coronavirus (COVID-19)

13 hours ago, sparky88 said:

I still don't believe the Scottish Government will do it. It would be one of the most nonsensical and maybe dangerous things a government could do. 

And the next issue with the vaccine will be how long immunity lasts. I'm not sure this has been fully worked out yet but I can imagine stories in the media about people being given the vaccine then dying of COVID months later 

That's one of my concerns

53 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Speak for yourselves, I want the good one and I want it before some old granny that never goes out anyway.

see below

45 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I go out!

I dinnae! (well hardly)

5 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

We will absolutely get stories about people getting the vaccine and then dying of Covid. What the idiots writing these stories won't include is that no vaccine is being presented as 100% effective and the number of people who get covid and die will most likely be an absolutely tiny minority of people who get the vaccine and be within the estimates based on the vaccine results.

14 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

We will absolutely get stories about people getting the vaccine and then dying of Covid. What the idiots writing these stories won't include is that no vaccine is being presented as 100% effective and the number of people who get covid and die will most likely be an absolutely tiny minority of people who get the vaccine and be within the estimates based on the vaccine results.

If we actually vaccinate the majority of the population (and rich countries commit to helping the poorer countries do so as well) then there shouldn't be future Covid outbreaks to fall victim to anyway. This is the real 'zero Covid' strategy as opposed to the shut everything indefinitely nonsense that Sridhar was shrieking for back in June.

Vaccines should be given on demand as soon as limited priority groups are sorted first and taking one should be mandatory for international travel at the very least. 

Edited by vikingTON

22 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

see below

I dinnae! (well hardly)

To be fair Willie if you only go out to the shops every now and again and little else, it doesn’t really matter too much if you get the vaccine or not. 

The issue is with those who want life to go back to normal with everything opened up etc, but then say they’ll refuse the only viable option that would allow that to happen.

Edited by Honest_Man#1

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

If we actually vaccinate the majority of the population (and rich countries commit to helping the poorer countries do so as well) then there shouldn't be future Covid outbreaks to fall victim to anyway. This is the real 'zero Covid' strategy as opposed to the shut everything indefinitely nonsense that Sridhar was shrieking for back in June.

Vaccines should be given on demand as soon as limited priority groups are sorted first and taking one should be mandatory for international travel at the very least. 

I don't think we'll see significant numbers of these stories. What we will have a good chance of seeing is some 90-something get a vaccine in January and then catch Covid in February and die and get some shrieking, doom-mongering piece about how the vaccine isn't 100% effective.

Eliminating the virus through lockdowns was always doomed to fail from a basic logic point of view.

Totally agree on international travel. Nobody should be be travelling internationally who hasn't had the vaccine once everyone's had the chance to get it.

13 minutes ago, virginton said:

I would love this to be the case but can't see it, Spain isn't going to say you can't come unless you've had a vaccine because most people in Spain will be vaccinated so it won't be a risk for them. Only way I can see it working is if you travel insurance say you must have a vaccine before traveling and if you get it on holiday or get anything and they can't find the vaccine in your records then the insurer would obviously walk away.

14 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I don't think we'll see significant numbers of these stories. What we will have a good chance of seeing is some 90-something get a vaccine in January and then catch Covid in February and die and get some shrieking, doom-mongering piece about how the vaccine isn't 100% effective.

What will be worse  is the stories following the 90 year old getting the vaccine and then passing away naturally days or weeks later with no signs of covid.  All the moon howlers will be proclaiming that the vaccine kills people and it to take it 

35 minutes ago, 101 said:

I would love this to be the case but can't see it, Spain isn't going to say you can't come unless you've had a vaccine because most people in Spain will be vaccinated so it won't be a risk for them. Only way I can see it working is if you travel insurance say you must have a vaccine before traveling and if you get it on holiday or get anything and they can't find the vaccine in your records then the insurer would obviously walk away.

We should be doing it on our end. Anyone can leave but you're not getting back in without being vaccinated.

100% won't happen but it should.

20 hours ago, superbigal said:

2 Days on and the 7 day cases per 100K uo to 19th November drops from 140.7 to 134.2 or 4.62%

Having another look at the Areas that have been moved in Tiers

Relegated

East Ayrshire 150.8 to 146.7 continues to defy why it entered Tier 4

East Dunbartonshire 175.8 to to 157.4  also now looks unfortunate to have been relegated.

East Renfrewshire 188.4 to 193.7   Confirms decision was correct.

Glasgow City 251.9 to 230.6  Seems to have finally woken up to this second wave.

North Lanarkshire 242.8 to 234.9  Again confirms decision was correct.

Renfrewshire 261.3 to 260.7 confirms they do not give a shit.

South Ayrshire 159.8 to 150.1  again like the East a little unfortunate to be relegated.

South Lanarkshire 229.3 to 227.7 another shameless area.

Stirling 214.4 to 205.9  Hopefully has hit it's weird peak and should improve quickly. Very localised in this area.

West Dunbartonshire  156.3 to 140.6  Like its neighbour mightily unlucky to have been chopped.

West Lothian 191.2 to 194.4  is currently a really poor performing area excluding Swan Munchers who are clean of the virus and southern outliers.

Promoted Tuesday coming

East Lothian 54.2 to 55.1  so promotion is secured.

Midlothian 76.8 to 100.6   This could well be a late change of decision

Previously Relegated

Angus 92.1 to 89.5 Stubbornly high no chance of promotion

Fife 140.5 to 114.6   Wow finally the map turning blue.  

Perth & Kinross 108.6 to 112.5   Performing poorly like Angus

Random 

Dundee City 120.5 to 105.8   I think this pattern means tier 2 in 10 days

Clackmannanshire 163.0 to 168.8   in real danger of relegation

Argyll and Bute only prospect of promotion to Tier 1   still too high in Aberdeen and the Shire.

Unfortunately I can't see Dundee going anywhere if either/both of PK or Angus are above 100. 

Time for these Perth strawheids to pull the finger out 

Pisses me off when i keep hearing “people will visit family anyways” with regards xmas. Only selfish c*nts think like this. I am happy to give up seeing family for xmas this year if it results in less of a lockdown for businesses. Gone through 9 months on and off of it. I can survive for a few more fucking days

7 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Unfortunately I can't see Dundee going anywhere if either/both of PK or Angus are above 100. 

Time for these Perth strawheids to pull the finger out 

Shouldn’t that be “us Perth strawheids”?

1 minute ago, Aufc said:

Pisses me off when i keep hearing “people will visit family anyways” with regards xmas. Only selfish c*nts think like this. I am happy to give up seeing family for xmas this year if it results in less of a lockdown for businesses. Gone through 9 months on and off of it. I can survive for a few more fucking days

You might have a point but it doesn’t help to ignore reality and the SG would be remiss if they just ignored what people are likely to do.

56 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

We should be doing it on our end. Anyone can leave but you're not getting back in without being vaccinated.

100% won't happen but it should.

Could be that the airlines will insist on it themselves, like they do now about wearing facemasks.. Places like Hong Kong insist on a negative Covid test within 72 hours of boarding which the airlines have to enforce. Not much change to say you have to show proof of vaccination.

13 minutes ago, Aufc said:

I think it's fair to say that a fairly large number of people will have just decided to ignore whatever measures were in place. However, my worry is that you have pisstaking within the bounds of the current guidance and you have pisstaking within the boundaries of whatever arbitrary number the Government decides will be allowed. It very much has echos of Van Tam being sent out to tell us that "people have enjoyed themselves too much" during the summer. I've no doubt a pretty harsh lockdown will result. 

There has been strange silence from a few select voices (Sridhar, Drakeford etc.) on this which I find interesting. Previous highlights have included complaining about people travelling and wanting the Welsh border closed, yet this is proposed and silence results? In the latter instance, approval is also provided going by the press headline. Not quite sure how that all squares up with previous commentary. 

The government are fucked either way here tbh and I do sympathise with the choice they have. It just looks an absolute stick on for more cack-handed bungling. 

Edited by Michael W

I think the reaction of the press even on the back of trickled down rumours pretty much shows the mood of the nation for millions. Governments are damned if they do, damned if they don't here. What the should be doing however is in no way sugar coating the risks and potential consequences. Highlight that if families choose to mix (and at the end of the day it will boil down to a personal choice) then undoubtedly it is going to lead to folk dying, explain fully the potential risk thus people can make their own choices.
Personally I am under pressure to have the mother in law for Christmas dinner. I have highlighted the risks to both her and my wife and also said I don't think it's a great idea but she is alone and especially lonely at that time of year. Very difficult balancing act for everyone.

Could be that the airlines will insist on it themselves, like they do now about wearing facemasks.. Places like Hong Kong insist on a negative Covid test within 72 hours of boarding which the airlines have to enforce. Not much change to say you have to show proof of vaccination.
Never mind HK that's the current rules for Tenerife and the other Canary islands.