Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Fair fucks to the scientists involved. However, i think we are forgetting that responsibility now moves from these scientists to the UK government who are absolutely fucking hopeless
You almost expect them to mix up some of the batches of the vaccines with AIDS and start firing that into folk.

1 minute ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Is there any info on how long it takes for the body to actually respond to the vaccine and build up immunity? I’m no expert but I wouldn’t have thought it would be instant? 

I'm sure I read it's about 8 weeks from getting your first dose to having immunity/antibodies

Love that you're basing your analysis of the most important vaccine of our lifetimes on info passed on by "yon lassie on the transistor".

All for the SG making this mandatory to use certain services/go on holiday, stops morons like you from killing people and probably makes your head explode at the same time.

I think you and VT are making this a bit more black and white than it is, you don’t have to be a covid denying anti vax moonhowler to have concerns about this,

Yes it is true that most vaccines take years to develop because they are simply not a high priority to investors whilst this one is the highest 3 ever. However a lot of governments have botched pretty much every part of their response to this pandemic so what’s to say they haven’t here, heavy heavy pressure can result in some checks and balances being quietly waved when there is so much on the line. This second hand mandatory method just doesn’t sit well with me at all

The first generation of vaccines don’t stop you getting the virus, they only reduce the effects of it anyway

In that case though it should be enough to lift restrictions as if the vulnerable are only getting the cold instead of pneumonia then there’s no pressure on the health service at all. Intact you shouldn’t even need to self isolateor keep a distance

6 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

That could take a while, NI is getting 12000 doses, top priority is care home residents and staff, of whom there are 30,000 folk.

So not all the top priority are getting vaccinated in the first phase...

All depends on how quickly the Oxford one starts getting used in addition to the Pfizer one that got approved today.

Vaccine approval is going to reinvigorate some utter shite tbh. Zero covid being chief among them I'd bet 
There absolutely no excuse for any restrictions once the vulnerable list have been vaccinated. You just know the media in this country will pish their pants at the first sign of a few cases though and enable continuing restrictions. 

We should basically wind back testing and stop daily announcements at that stage.

UEFA are making a decision on each stadium capacity in early March btw. The amount of fans allowed to attend can be reduced after this date, but cannot be increased.
In that case they surely announce "full capacity" and reduce if necessary?

13 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

All depends on how quickly the Oxford one starts getting used in addition to the Pfizer one that got approved today.

I think it will be a while, they basically have to do phase 3 again, with half dose/full dose and half dose/half dose. Unless they just decide to go with the 62% effective full dose/full dose in the meantime.

19 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

I think you and VT are making this a bit more black and white than it is, you don’t have to be a covid denying anti vax moonhowler to have concerns about this,

Yes it is true that most vaccines take years to develop because they are simply not a high priority to investors whilst this one is the highest 3 ever. However a lot of governments have botched pretty much every part of their response to this pandemic so what’s to say they haven’t here, heavy heavy pressure can result in some checks and balances being quietly waved when there is so much on the line. This second hand mandatory method just doesn’t sit well with me at all

The first generation of vaccines don’t stop you getting the virus, they only reduce the effects of it anyway

In that case though it should be enough to lift restrictions as if the vulnerable are only getting the cold instead of pneumonia then there’s no pressure on the health service at all. Intact you shouldn’t even need to self isolateor keep a distance

You do realise that it's not Boris Johnson and Nicola Sturgeon travelling round all the labs and whipping the scientists to make them work faster, aye? The notion that either government is going to somehow circumvent the tried and tested scientific procedure which is set out in legislation is absolutely anti-vax moonhowling nonsense.

Edited by The Moonster

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:
28 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:
UEFA are making a decision on each stadium capacity in early March btw. The amount of fans allowed to attend can be reduced after this date, but cannot be increased.

In that case they surely announce "full capacity" and reduce if necessary?

They won't want to go though refunding loads of tickets again and having a raffle to choose who loses out. 

3 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:
22 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:
I'm sure I read it's about 8 weeks from getting your first dose to having immunity/antibodies

They just said at the briefing partial immunity 12 days after shot 1 then full protection 7 days after shot 2.

Is that just for the Pfizer one? It's a lot quicker than they were saying before, maybe about the Oxford one.

35 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Love that you're basing your analysis of the most important vaccine of our lifetimes on info passed on by "yon lassie on the transistor".

All for the SG making this mandatory to use certain services/go on holiday, stops morons like you from killing people and probably makes your head explode at the same time.

Unsure if serious.

If Brexit hadn't happened, it would need to pass the EU bods for new vaccines.

Unless. It's in a trial phase.

Knock yourself out cunto if you want to be part of a trial......

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I think it will be a while, they basically have to do phase 3 again, with half dose/full dose and half dose/half dose. Unless they just decide to go with the 62% effective full dose/full dose in the meantime.

^^^Every indication that OxfordAZ is getting approved soon by the MHRA for use in the UK as early as next week. The second Phase 3 trial is mainly to ensure FDA approval in the USA who will be under political pressure to help Moderna.

1 minute ago, Manifesto said:

Unsure if serious.

If Brexit hadn't happened, it would need to pass the EU bods for new vaccines.

Unless. It's in a trial phase.

Knock yourself out cunto if you want to be part of a trial......

It's clear you're too stupid to understand anything here, which is another great reason for Nicola to make it mandatory.

58 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I was reading an article last week addressing this and, specifically, the concerns amongst some that this has been found within 9 months when most vaccines take ten years.

Essentially, most of the ten-year process for other vaccines is spent applying for, being rejected, and re-applying for funding to actually do the research in the first place. The amount of actual medical research / trials is nowhere near ten years and is usually carried out by relatively small companies.

The fact that the entire medical community has been focused on finding this and have had pretty much unlimited funding is why this has been able to happen so quickly.

Any chance you can post/PM the article? I read about this but can’t find it again and it’s quite useful for handing over to any sceptics.

Let the anti vaxers pass on it and allow them to die off.

Natural selection, I say.

Hopefully the SPFL require a vaccine certificate to allow you into the grounds also, sure it would help reduce many of the other issues Scottish football have with supporters too.

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

I was reading an article last week addressing this and, specifically, the concerns amongst some that this has been found within 9 months when most vaccines take ten years.

Essentially, most of the ten-year process for other vaccines is spent applying for, being rejected, and re-applying for funding to actually do the research in the first place. The amount of actual medical research / trials is nowhere near ten years and is usually carried out by relatively small companies.

The fact that the entire medical community has been focused on finding this and have had pretty much unlimited funding is why this has been able to happen so quickly.

Yep, it is mind-boggling to see so many people 'wonder' why a virus (more the government's response) that is tanking Western economies worse than a single year than either world war might have a streamlined and intensified research process for treatments. That's what was supposed to happen all along but now that we have a successful outcome people are suddenly braying about how suspicious it is that we can develop a treatment so quickly.

By the same token, as soon as they start rolling out vaccines the government's premise for continued restrictions should be filed in the bin. It is not the job of the rest of society to sit on their hands while the government tries to gormlessly jab every boomer before opening things up again.